SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_276746588

My rose leaves are yellow and brown

Sara B.
3 years ago

Hello,

I have some rose bushes which I inherited from a previous owner of my house. There are quite a few bushes, and I don't know that much about roses other than that I've been learning to prune and care for them. I know that four are hybrid tea roses which are about six feet or more high (two red, two white -- the red are "Taboo" variety according to the tag I found buried). Roses are heavy blooming in my zone 9b, really year-round here in Sonoma County, CA, and we also have heavy clay soil which drains pretty well because of a bit of sandiness to it. They are mulched with new wood chips and watered in the morning usually, or sometimes in the early evening. They are in half-day afternoon sun in the summer due to shady deciduous trees.

Anyways, I have been battling two different leaf issues all summer and keep cutting the leaves off. These roses are nice up top where I've dead-headed them (which causes them to really grow back heavily with buds, in a few weeks and with nice, new leaves which are fine). But no matter how many of these bottom leaves I cut, I have two different looking problems on the lower leaves, and I wonder if someone who knows can help me out towards fixing whatever it is.

So I have included three photos. One is the nice looking upper growth where I have deadheaded (or pruned? Unsure, I am deadheading where you would prune a rose, at the first five-leaf outer-facing bud below the dead flower) with all the healthy leaves. The second is yellow and brown tips which are mysterious to me. The third is some kind of blotchy yellow leaves, maybe it was rose rust but there's nothing visible on them now.

What's wrong with these if you know? Thank you!

Exhibit A: Pretty healthy regrowth from deadheading these a lot (but some yellow leaves still and some spots in the lower right). So the upper parts of all my bushes mainly look like this.

Exhibit B: I'm most worried about this, because it's really getting worse, and I don't know what it is. I keep cutting off a lot of the leaves because of it.

Exhibit C: I suspect this may have been rose rust but is gone now and just left discolored leaves? But the tips are also brown, and there is zero rust that I can see on them now, although it's summer so it's not good conditions for rust -- my area has low humidity and almost no rain until winter.

Super appreciated! I never took care of rose bushes before, so I'm on a learning curve. I have five others which are their own problem, but I'll leave those for another post.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living