SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tony_bimbo

Heat Pump condensate issue

Tony Bimbo
3 years ago

I’ve owned a Bryant HP for just over 20 years when the fan motor went out. The replacement cost was prohibitive so I bought a TRANE 4WTW4 unit. It was in early winter. It worked fine until the summer season here in VA when I turned the AC on. It wasn’t cooling much, in fact it was putting out warm air instead of cold air. I called the folks who installed the unit and they found that on installation they had wired the thermostat incorrectly. They corrected it and it seemed to be working fine. Our summers are hot and humid but I keep the AC room temp at 80-82. I am comfortable at that temp. I noticed that no condensate was coming out of the pump discharge and placed something to catch the water if it was coming out. Nothing is coming out. I called the techs back and they checked the coolant pressure, operation of the condensate pump etc and said everything was fine. He said that at the temp 80-82 the humidistat will not sense the moisture so nothing will come out. He said I have to set the thermostat much lower to produce condensate. My 20 year old Bryant didn’t have that problem and produced lots of condensate with the thermostat set at 80-82. Then they billed me for the visit even though the HVAC is under warranty. My question is: are they right, do I have to set the thermostat a lot lower to produce condensate or is there a possible issue with the humidistat. The house doesn’t feel humid but I would just like another opinion on this. Of course, cooling the house to a lower temp will be too cold for me. Thanks.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio