SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jesuisjj

Need to renovate a kitchen--which layout should I use?

jesuisjj
3 years ago

I need to renovate a kitchen on a pretty tight budget (~$30k) and am pressed for time. I'm having trouble getting past the first step: what layout to use (assuming I can't knock down any walls). It's currently a U-shape, which has limitations. Getting all new appliances, including a counter-depth refrigerator. Any suggestions re layout/design would be very much appreciated.

Comments (34)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

IN A HURRY, why? It's a galley. At the very least provide a drawing with the actual dimensions.Include the dining space beyond the wall. Make clear whether you want to move a wall, or CAN move a wall. or can extend into the breakfast area.

There are no darn WIZARDS here. There are no invisible tape measures. Kitchen are about INCHES. and fractions of inches.

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

U shape w smaller single bowl sink will allow two better corner base cabs . Lazy Susan type but dimensions vary along with swing out options. Is the big sink and two corners what you mean by limitations? You don’t need to redo the layout just spec out things differently. Pick your fridge as you need those dimensions . What did you want to accomplish with different layout yet remaining in the same walled in space. ?

• Related Discussions

How should I layout my kitchen? Need suggestions...no window.

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm running out now, but I wanted to quickly show you what LRy511 did in her kitchen. I'm also building from a modified Don Gardner plan and I'm changing my kitchen to an L-shape with an island. I had the sink on the island first but struggled with the openness so I moved it to a wall where it would be blocked by the island a bit from the great room. Here's a draft of my plan to give you an idea. Without seeing your plan, I doubt you need a door from the kitchen to the dining room. Can you easily cut through the foyer to get there? My current kitchen/breakfast nook/family room is almost identical to the one in the original plan. My kitchen seems dark, but that is because there are only 4 can lights and 2 pendant lights over the peninsula. Make sure you have plenty of can lights and under cabinet lighting and you'll be fine. I think you're wise not to have the 2-story living room. You'll still get plenty of light from all those windows on the back. BTW, my current house plan is very similar to the one you are proposing, except we don't have the first floor master. In our plan the stairs go off the the bottom left corner of the family room and take up the space you have as a hall between the LR and FR. That opens up the foyer a lot. It's something you might consider if you can find another doorway to the master. Of course it might not work with your second-floor layout, but I thought I'd mention it.
    ...See More

Renovation layout – help with bath needed

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you so much for replying. I apologize for not being clear. I was referring the South (bottom) side of the drawing (East in real life). So the wall with the windows and existing door adjacent the stairs is the one that goes outside. We plan to keep a bedroom in this area, but are willing to take square footage away from it for the bathroom/entry.
    ...See More

Need Help with Bath Renovation Layout

Q

Comments (4)
    Atherton Design, The toilet is next to the vanity on the same wall. Yes a 72" vanity will fit. I would like to use part of the coat closet and incorporate it into the bathroom. I will post the plan I am playing with when I get home tonight. I believe everythig will fit but the layout I am playing with seems a bit awkward.
    ...See More

Kitchen renovation design/layout option needed

Q

Comments (1)
    Measured diagrams required. Hire a Kitchen Designer.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO without a to scale floor plan I have no clue and would not even hazard a guess.

• jesuisjj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for responding. My apologies for failing to provide details—I’m clearly a novice here. I need to get this done expeditiously because we just bought the place this week and would like to move in as soon as possible after closing, understanding that a renovation takes time. We aren’t expecting to move in before at least mid-October. We have some flexibility but continuing to pay rent while starting a mortgage is not ideal (we live in Silicon Valley-$$). I just got to go to the home and take measurements this morning; I’ve included a sketch here. The kitchen is adjacent to a “nook” area that I’d also like to renovate, but getting the kitchen done and functional is top priority for now. No knocking down walls, unfortunately. As you can see, there’s a window at either end of the space. Flooring, lighting, everything to be redone. Very appreciative for any advice re layout. Ask me questions, please! I’m trying here!

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    3 years ago

My first choice would be to take down that wall and put in a large island if you didn't need a formal dining room, but because you don't want to knock down the wall between the kitchen and what looks like a formal dining room, I would suggest two other options:

I would do a new layout of the kitchen by moving the sink over and adding a pair of French doors out the back of the kitchen to the yard beyond.

I would put an opening in that wall to the dining room about 4 feet wide and counter height to the ceiling.........

Buy a counter depth refrigerator......

Why don't you work with a designer to help you with placing everything and getting enough storage?

• Ig222
    3 years ago

Please give a budget for the renovation if you want answers that you can afford. Already some people cannot be bothered reading a few lines and will give you some advise.

Personnally, I would change the dining area and the kitchen and make a dinette area with a banquette (assuming you have the space), then make a L-shaped kitchen in the rest of the kitchen (assuming you dont need to sit 6 people, But people who are more experienced than I am may have better ideas.

EDIT: I can see now that you have a step and a low windown that would make this difficult without at least changing the window.

• jesuisjj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am hoping (perhaps naively?) that I can keep the budget at $30k, as per my original post. It is a townhouse so I cannot alter exterior walls and do not think removing or moving a wall is practical given my budget. I do hope to work with a designer on a limited basis but need to manage costs so I can’t have them do everything. I had hoped to come up with my own original proposal and then engage a professional to fine tune it. Again, I have never done this before but love design and also recognize that many of you are much more knowledgeable, hence my posting for some initial advice.

I like the idea of an L-shaped kitchen, melding it in with the nook/dinette area. The current design is way too cramped and needs opened up somehow (remove upper cabinets and replace with a few floating shelves?). I wasn’t sure visually if it would be okay to move the refrigerator (which will be counter-depth) outside of the kitchen’s current “boundaries”. It sounds like that’s probably okay?

• jesuisjj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lg222: I actually think I would like to add a bench in front of that window and make it a cozy nook. Maybe? Maybe not?

• latifolia
    3 years ago

I would skip the U and do a galley. Your budget is really tight. Lazy/super Susan cabinets are expensive and don't maximize storage. Personally I find you get more useable counter space in a galley, which is what I did in my own kitchen.

Switching to a galley would involve moving plumbing, but it would allow you to add a door to the outside, if you plan to entertain in that space.

Try to add a vent above your stove, which is easier if it's on an outside wall. Include a vertical pantry cabinet.

Many people here prefer only lower cabinets, I prefer upper cabinets to the ceiling for storage. So you need to specify how you use the kitchen, how many you cook for, how much entertaining you do, etc.

• jesuisjj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@latifolia Thanks for your questions. I cook for two, (maybe someday three??). I don’t do much entertaining and cannot add a door to the outside (it’s a townhouse). I love to bake and cook but don’t need a super fancy kitchen. It just needs to be functional and efficiently designed. I have a separate pantry closet to the left of the kitchen, so food storage should be okay. There is a duct for a hood above the range. I don’t like the microwave-over-the-range look. I hope to add a real hood. We plan to get a smaller microwave and possibly add an appliance cabinet/cubby for it, space permitting.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

It is August and mid Well planned, with all on order and on the way? You need a minimum time allotment of 12 weeks for a kitchen. That's assuming you had a plan and your contractor lined up as well. Slooooooow DOWN.

What you do, is MOVE IN. You can make meals in the little kitchen. You haven't eaten there once. You are not going to die, and you have not enough time to do a good job ON ANYTHING.

I honestly do not understand this new concept of "I can't spend a day disrupted". That is a fine thing to say when you have unlimited funds.

Translation? Chill out! Live a bit. Maybe in a year you will move a wall, have more funds. You will not die in the kitchen. The END.

At this point in the thread? That is the best advice .

Design in haste? Remodel in haste? Repent AT YOUR LEISURE.

• jesuisjj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jan Moyer I appreciate your honesty and am open to the possibility that this is an unrealistic timeline. I came here for that type of advice. Please do not, however, assume that I feel “I can’t spend a day disrupted.” I do not come from such a place of privilege as to believe I should not be inconvenienced. I come from a place of wanting to do a good job with a costly remodel ($30-40k is twice what my single mom ever made) and wanting to avoid having too many workers coming in and out of my space in the midst of a pandemic (my husband and I work in healthcare—I am mostly WFH right now). Doing a remodel under these conditions involves some disruption and unavoidable risks, which I understand very well. If it cannot be accomplished within this timeline, I am able to accept that and move forward with planning on a longer term. I want to do a good job and still “live a bit”, as you say. I am not losing my mind over this. I simply came here for ideas and advice. I am grateful to you and others for sharing your expertise with me. I would also appreciate you giving me the benefit of any doubt, as I would for you.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

jesuisjj.. can I pass on a few budget hints? 30-40K is doable if you know how to shop. If you pay lowes or Home depot to do it, they're taking a good chunk of your money for being the middle man. If you have the time and know-how, you can shop for things yourself, or hire a kitchen designer.

I did a complete kitchen remodel (down to the studs) for 10K. everything. Of course we did our own flooring/tile install, plumbing, electrical, painting and was also the GC.

Cabinets were RTA, solid wood, and cost about 3800. We used pre-fab granite (Alaska White) and spent 2K for everything, including install.

Pre-fabs are a great budget saver. you're in Calif and prefabs are all over the place (thanks to a straight shot from china, and to our ports)

they run on average 400-600 for a 9' piece. a fabricator will then cut and install it for you. for your kitchen, (if staying a galley) maybe 1200.

If you buy a slab (average 1200-4K) it will be double that amount for fab/install.

This isi porcelain that looks like marble. cost is 2K for the slab. You'd prob have left over for a backsplash or a bathroom vanity.

this is the before/after we did. (back in 2011) I scored all of the appliances on craigslist (all new, and all good brands) for under 2K. (minus the fridge) You just have to know how to shop. (that wall oven went for over 2300 at the time. it had a dent on the side you can't even see. I got it for 800)

the point to all this is that if you're saving on one end, then you can afford to do other things you wouldn't be able to afford otherwise. Like taking down that wall.

RTA cabinets are out there. you have a small area to work with. have someone figure out a layout, size cabs you need, then you can get them yourself and avoid the middle man. Now granted, you have to have some knowledge on how to do this. if it means hiring a kitchen designer and paying them to do it, so be it.

this place has solid wood cabs, all colors, and are having a sale. they even have a kitchen designer to do the layout for you. It might be worth it to see how much you'd spend here.

https://www.usadistributor.com/kitchen/kitchen-cabinets.html

these are all galleys and small U's shape get an idea of what you like

• comelyhomely
    3 years ago

Without knocking down any walls, your best bet for a layout would be the current u-shape or (if you want to maximize corner space in exchange for having to move the sink plumbing) converting to a galley.

Your idea of a counter-depth fridge is a good one, as is replacing the lighting. I must say however that I looove the existing floors and would absolutely keep them if they're in good shape!

• mainenell
    3 years ago

Except for the tile countertop, that is not a terrible kitchen by any means. It looks as if even the tile is in good enough condition to usable. The only thing I would consider doing replacing the countertop before moving in. Even just laminate or solid surface (Corian or equivalent) would be a huge improvement without huge investment. Here, installed laminate (would recommend because of the U) is still about 40% less than installed solid surface. That being said, removing tile can uncover more surprises than removing other countertop materials. During non pandemic times a new countertop from initial contact with installer can be done in 2-4 weeks. New kitchen design and installs take much longer from initial contact with designer. And then installer. And ordering cabinets (4-8 weeks, presuming no replacements needed). Demo old kitchen. Install cabinets. Template countertops. Plumbing. Electrical. Install countertops. Install new floors. Expect that process to take 3-6 months minimum. A simple, straightforward install itself with no issues is likely to be a minimum of 3-4 weeks. So move into your new home, get settled, and get a feel for what works and doesn’t.

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    3 years ago

We actually did our daughter‘s kitchen which is very similar to yours for under $15,000.....find a qualified affordable contractor who can help you source reasonable cabinets .... good luck ....

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

An inspiration folder will help you more than Anything. You say”remodel” but what is that for you? Still havent heard . It is a bland white kitchen . Leave it alone until you know what youwant . And don’t just move an appliance out of the kitchen . It isn’t large enough to goof around and throw 30k without lots of ideas that you personally have edited And distilled down to plan a or plan b. And even after a plan is selected there is quite a bit of wiggling around and tweaks to get a space like this correctly done. Kitchens somewhat on the smaller size can be great to work in when efficiency is built into it but getting there can be harder , require compromises . and I would not over renovate a townhouse or condo kitchen .

• jesuisjj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth H. Thank you so much for the helpful suggestions—really appreciate it!
    @herbflavor I have been thinking about what I want for a couple months (years, really) and have saved lots of ideas but now need to make as many of those things as possible work with this space. I can remodel within this space (or renovate if you prefer). Some specific things I want include: recessed lighting, wood look porcelain tile floor (maybe in a herringbone pattern?), white beveled subway tile backsplash, grey-green base cabinets with white upper cabinets (some, if not all, with glass panes), white walls, at least one floating wood shelf, Calacatta quartz countertops, undermount stainless steel 60/40 double bowl sink (not too big—32”), appliance cubby for microwave and toaster, pull-outs in most base cabinets and lazy Susan in the corner(s), a couple deep drawers for pots, a spice drawer, a narrow cabinet for baking sheets, pull-out/tilt trash/recycling bins. I have already picked out (not ordered) appliances, including a counter depth French door refrigerator, an induction range with double oven, Bosch dishwasher, and a ducted range hood. I am reaching out to designers but haven’t gotten a response yet. I actually think my budget can stretch to $40k after discussing with my husband but this is small potatoes to a lot of designers around here so I wonder if they think it’s not worth their time.

• loobab
    3 years ago

A ducted range hood?

You better check with the condo board/HOA!

"I had hoped to come up with my own original proposal and then engage a professional to fine tune it."

That's like writing your own divorce decree/proposal for cardiac surgery and asking a family law attorney/thoracic surgeon to fine tune it.

As a former member of Houzz , Sophie Wheeler, would say, "you don't know what you don't know."

Furthermore, as with some of the professionals above, since they charge for their time, it will cost you more to get corrections on your plan than to get a correct plan ab initio.

And you may never get the totally different (and superior) type of plan that would have solved fundamental problems with your kitchen but that your certified kitchen designer didn't suggest because the shape of its peg didn't fit into the square box of your proposal.

It really makes more sense as previous commenters here have suggested, to think about what your needs are, what things you have seen that you like, and keep thinking about both and collecting ideas and present it all to the certified kitchen designer as things you like if you go that route, and ask him/her to make additional suggestions and to come up with some plans.

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

The thing to do is get your graph paper and start putting in those items. Where will the dishwasher and trash cab go w the larger sink base cab you will need? An appliance garage? I’d skip that . Location of floating shelves and then glass doored uppers To make things work at eye level can be tricky. rollouts behind base cab doors ? and one stack of pot and pan drawers? Must would say ALL lower drawers, And of course the painted finishes will drive up your costs. The designers work in certain order of activities and who knows w covid what altered arrangements have ensued? With the specifics you have and proceed to get it on graph paper, they could maybe provide you w some pricing. Do you have a cabinet line from one of the designers ? do you know if the cabs will be more lower middle or upper quality? the pricing will be reflective although details matter that’s where the designer has to work w you. They will probably want a commitment and you’ve made a list which involves some details but not all and that is kind of “ in the process “ it could be the covid is affecting many aspects .... everything is backed up and slowed down from what I hear and see in my area.

• loobab
    3 years ago

Three things for sure-

Get new upper cabinets and extend them to the ceiling to increase storage.

You need a dishwasher.

You need more storage because you lose a lot of storage because of what you lose by putting in a dishwasher and where you will put the microwave by putting in a proper vent hood.

I suggest getting rid of that strange little cabinet upper and lower that face your breakfast table and extend some kitchen lower cabinets into the breakfast area. Just some lowers, not the uppers.

Depending on whether or not you have a buffet in the dining room, they may serve a similar purpose and that will help you decide what type of lowers you want to put there. i.e. tablecloths, napkins, candlesticks, vases, large platters, etc. Or you may want to use it for the detergents because your laundry is just opposite. Or the kitchen appliances and bakeware you may not use that often.

jesuisjj thanked loobab
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

did you like the porcelain slab that looked like marble I posted? you may want to check to see what the quartz version will cost you.

This is the Neolith and costs big bucks. but it's also a porcelain.

the slabs I showed you at my stone place were brand new last year and ran about 2K

Or, like I mentioned, check into the pre-fabs.

This is a knockoff to the brittanica. wholesale cost is about $450 for the 9' size. it's already finished on the edge like in the above pic. you hire someone to cut it for your kitchen.

BTW, why Bosch for the DW? there are others that are good, if not better, and much cheaper.

These are the items you check Craigslist for. you can't believe what people sell on there.

as for the counter depth fridge, I looked at 50 of them for my kitchen. I ended up going w/the GE Cafe. This is where I would splurge a little, rather than a DW. (do not get a Samsung or LG Fridge)

I did the Cafe wall oven and GE Profile microwave, which I had inset below the wall oven. I love all 3 of these appliances. (and I looked at every single built in microwave too)

I'd rethink the SS sink too. the good ones (14 or 16 gauge, cost more because they aren't as tinny sounding. if you have hard water, these sinks look like poo. do a white enamel, or one of the composite. or even copper)

jesuisjj thanked Beth H. :
  • katinparadise
    3 years ago

I would consider turning this into a galley versus the U shape. This will let you put the sink on the same wall as the dishwasher instead of behind you, which is a deal breaker for me. Move the fridge all the way down to the end of the cabinet run and panel it in so it looks more finished. Being able to run cabinets and countertops all the way to the window on both sides will increase your usable counter space. It would also give you room to put a small countertop microwave at the end by the window.

Unless you plan to replace all the flooring in the space, I would leave the flooring as is. Herringbone wood look tile won't look right next to your parquet and sub flooring and tile will raise it above the level of the wood floor.

jesuisjj thanked katinparadise
  • katinparadise
    3 years ago

Sounds as though you have a plan. I would very much consider keeping the hardwood flowing throughout the space, including the kitchen.

There's nothing wrong with RTA cabinets. Mine in my kitchen and both my bathrooms are RTA and the quality is excellent. Furniture board boxes, solid wood door and drawer fronts, dovetailed, full extension drawers with underglides, and full overlay. I did as many drawers as possible, an extended depth refrigerator cabinet with panel, and a few other bells and whistles and spent $9700, including install.

It's wonderful that you don't have to rush to complete the project. You'll appreciate having the luxury of time to make informed decisions.

I hope you'll keep us updated on your progress!

• jesuisjj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@katinparadise Thanks for the advice. Will do!

• jesuisjj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Realized that I never updated on our new kitchen. We finished it in December, and we love it! It turns out that the wall could pretty easily come down after all, which was a total game changer. Thanks again for all the advice.

• bouncy5
    3 years ago

Great job! Looks very nice. Also looks like it will function very good.

• Isaac
    3 years ago

Looks great! What company did you use for the cabinets?

• jesuisjj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! @Isaac The cabinets are KraftMaid from Lowe’s.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

looks great! question is, were you able to keep it to the 30K budget? I see all new flooring, layout and appliances, so i'm going to guess, NO?

• jesuisjj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth H. You guessed correctly! 😂

• loobab
    3 years ago

Hi- Your kitchen turned out just beautifully!

Are there two entrances into the kitchen? What did you use for counters?

• jesuisjj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! Yes, it’s an open layout now. We took down a wall, filled in the doorway previously there, and used that to create a peninsula. The counters are quartz—HanStone Strato.