SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rabitr

Shower curb repair

rabitr
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello everybody, I have gaps and missing grouts in and around my shower curb, and also along two corners of the walls. I could use help in diagnosing and fixing the issues. My first instinct was to seal the gaps with silicon, but some gaps are wide and deep enough that I think that wouldn't cut it. See the pictures

The only visible water damage is to the left of the curb on the baseboard and wall, but I know water is seeping into places it shouldn't.

Another obvious issue - the two tiles on top of the curb came loose and it turns out they were laid on top of 6 tiles underneath them. I wasn't expecting double stack of tiles.

This bathroom was constructed when previous owner added second floor to this house 9 years ago. I am assuming they built the pan and the inside of the curb right, with liners and all, but can't confirm it.

Questions:

How do I fill the large gaps on the front and back sides of the curb, where the vertical tiles meet the floor and the top tiles? Most places gap is deep as well, as you can hopefully see in the pictures. Some kind of cement followed by silicon?

Some parts of the shower wall corners have grouts falling off. At one place, the gap is almost 1/4 inch, or 3/8 inch. Put some kind of cement, followed by silicone? Where walls meet the floor, grout is intact, so not too worried, although it is not smooth.

Also, I need to put the two top tiles on the curb back (or put one long tile). What should I use as the "gule." Usual thinset mortar?...will it work with the 6 tiles underneath as the base? And is there a better way to slope top tiles than sloping the mortar by having more towards the outside of the curb? Two top tiles that came loose were set like that to achieve a slope.

One last thing - more than a year ago, a few times there was water seeping out of the ceiling underneath this bathroom. The ceiling was repaired as a part of remodeling, and I haven't seen it since, but it's possible the leak was from this shower.

View from outside:

Outside curb, left side:

Inside of the curb:

Inside curb, left:

Inside curb, right:

Wall corner, at the bottom gap is wider than you see here:

Comments (46)