SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kendog2

Open Shower Vs. Closed - Change Shower Curb From Angled to Straight?

kendog2
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We have been working on our kids' doorless shower for longer than I care to admit. We planned to put a 12" piece of glass on top of the freestanding wall to keep water from splashing out. Recently someone suggested that we enclose the shower completely to make it warmer and to prevent steam from building up in the bathroom. It was suggested that we could install glass all the way to the ceiling and put a door or curtain over the doorway. Please give me your opinions on this option. I am concerned that enclosing the shower would cause a mold problem although we live in a dry desert climate. We could allow the moisture to escape by opening the window but in the winter, it would be too cold to leave the window open. I'm not sure if a bathroom fan outside the shower would be effective enough.

I have regretted putting the shower curb on an angle. We did this to reduce the amount of water that splashes out of the shower. At the time it seemed like a good idea but now I wonder if it just looks weird. More importantly, the angled curb would make it difficult to install a door over the opening if we decided we wanted one. I would really appreciate some opinions about whether we should take out the angled curb and make it straight. We poured a concrete slope with Kerdi and pebbles on top, but pebbles are not yet grouted. Would it be worth the effort to re-do the curb, take out a section of the Kerdi and pebbles and cut the slope in order to straighten the curb? Whether or not you think it is worth the effort involved, do you like the curb angled or straight? Thanks so much for any help.

Comments (5)