SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forever_now

Kitchen halfway built (pictures) but where to put the #@&%! microwave?

Forever Now
3 years ago

Ok, someone needs to give me a push because it’s decision time and I’m at a standstill! Our kitchen is halfway built (DH is doing it/pictures below). We now have an island and the back counters, now just need the pantry and upper cabinets. BUT, a microwave is holding me back from making the final decision on those. Originally, before we’d put much thought into it, we just assumed we’d do an OTR microwave. Once I redesigned the kitchen, I really wanted a hood, but I still have no truly good place for a microwave. To make matters worse I’ve started to think I really want a combo convection/microwave so that I can do away with small appliances like air fryer and toaster oven (which I don’t use a lot, but which are really useful for what I do use them for). I think the convection MW would replace what I use them for but they tend to need a lot of extra space to vent.

WHAT I’VE WANTED - from the beginning I have wanted to keep my kitchen from feeling enclosed and dark, it doesn’t get much natural light and we’re using unstained cherry so I’ve gone with white counters and will use white tile backsplash. DH wants to take the upper cabinets to the ceiling, so I have insisted that the natural wood trimmed windows at least have breathing room. I didn’t want the wood cabinets to blend with the wood window trim. So, nothing over or against the window trim it so I could put the white tile around it and all the way to the ceiling.

THE DILEMMA – The problem is that all I could get was 2 inches around the main window which was enough to do what I wanted but THEN because our floor and walls were so off level, we lost an inch on the range side of the window during installation. So, there are two main problems with an OTR microwave/cabinet combo now:

1. They really crowd the window and you couldn’t put a panel on the window side of the microwave without cutting part of the trim
  2. The symmetry, which was already going to be slightly off - with a range on one side of the window and an enclosed refrigerator on the other - is now a lot more off.

SOLUTION 1 - to use a chimney style hood. Which would open up the area over the range and wouldn’t call attention to the lack of symmetry since it wouldn’t be trying to BE symmetrical. Aesthetically I like this best.

SOLUTION 1 PROBLEMS

• No really good place to put a microwave now. The three options are:
  1. Countertop: Don’t want to do it, to be assessable from the one place it would not be in the way (the corner) it would have to be angled and would make the counter look crowded.
  2. Built into pantry: We may not have enough room for this, especially if I want a convection MW. If we are lucky the pantry will be 24” wide, but due to losing our inch it may have to be slightly less (and heaven knows how off level the other wall will be). I did find an RV built-in convection MW that would probably fit. On the good side its less than $300, on the bad side it’s not terribly attractive.
  3. Hang or build into cabinet over coffee station: I like this option best, because it would be out of the way of my cooking area, but not so far as to be inconvenient to use while cooking and it would have a countertop under it for landing space.
  • Hanging or building in a microwave any place other than OTR would mean:
  1. Adding another outlet/circuit, which DH can do, but he will not be happy with me. He thought he finished all the kitchen wiring and then insulated the crawl space under the kitchen so new wiring will be much harder.
  2. Also, designing cabinets other than OTR around a microwave sort of paints you into a corner for later, but maybe I’m over thinking here. This is the case for a lot of what we’re doing because it’s all custom to our space.

SOLUTION 2 – DH has offered to remove and rebuild the window trim narrower so that we can just use an OTR microwave/cabinet. (It actually is wider than the other window in the kitchen.) This wouldn’t totally fix the symmetry problem but it would help, at this point it is certainly the easiest solution, especially as I am getting worn down by all this and just want to get it over with, but…I just don’t like it…but I’m tired and ready to just surrender. Am I missing something? Is there another solution? What would you do?

Here is where the kitchen stands at the moment. DH is finishing up the drawer fronts this weekend and they’ll go on next week. All the drawer and door fronts will be a simple shaker style in unstained cherry.

Here are some renderings I’ve done at different times to envision different scenarios:

A HOOD - I don’t know if I’d go with this wide shiplap style or not, just what I was thinking at the time I did it. It could be a much narrower chimney style which would open up the wall more. For reference if I were to decide to build in a microwave in the pantry it would replace the top of the lower pantry cabinet to the right of the fridge

MICROWAVE OVER COFFEE STATION

At one point I wondered about doing a shelf under all the upper cabinets, but decided it makes the cabinets too high to be super useful, but this does show where I could put a microwave. I’d probably have to hang an OTR one here, as I think a hanging cabinet would be too narrow for a built-in convection MW. I’d planned this cabinet to be about 30” wide x 12” deep though I’m considering 15”.

OTR MICROWAVE

Here’s a particularly bad attempt at using Powerpoint to see what it might feel like IRL with “to the ceiling” cabinets and an OTR microwave. The color scheme I chose to make it “feel 3D” doesn’t help. The cabinets would not be so dark or have this “70’s vibe”. Does this feel too “crowded” (imagine them pretty!)?

I need to decide soon or DH will take the matter out of my hands. I just can't get past not wanting the OTR MW or the extra work to NOT have it so I've reached an impasse and seem incapable of a decision.

Comments (22)