SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robinswfl

Info about separating a gasteria pup for propagation

robinswfl
3 years ago

I have a Gasteria Batesiana Barberton that I bought several years ago -- just a single plant in a 4-inch pot. (Wish I could post a picture of it, but I'm having trouble doing that at the moment.) Anyway, it vegetated for the two years -- almost no growth. Healthy enough -- but no new life. Then suddenly, it grew 4 pups. I took it up to a 6-inch pot where it has happily lived for the last 3 years. Pups are healthy and the plant has flowered a lot.

But now I would like to propagate one of the pups for a friend. Barbertons are hard to come by and expensive, and mine is healthy so I would like to give one of the pups to a good friend. Here's my question: When I removed the plant from the pot, do I just slice one of the pups away with a knife? (It is planted in a 50/50 mix of Black Gold C/S soil and pumice.) Or do I slowly and painstakingly "tease" it away from the mother plant? I know that's probably an elementary question, but....I love this plant, it's really healthy, and I want to do it RIGHT. Thanks!

Comments (3)