SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summersunlight

Appetite for Propagation: who else is compulsive about propagating?

summersunlight
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I grow almost all of my houseplants in hydroculture, so earlier today, I unpotted a fairly young Philodendron 'Little Hope' (apparently either a dwarf form or a hybrid of Philo. bipinnatifidum/selloum) to convert it to hydroculture. I noticed that the plant was such a massive clump that I could easily separate out several pieces with roots, so I could not resist dividing it up. I ended up with 3 separate pots worth of Philo Little Hope. Hopefully they will fare well in hydroculture!

I don't need THREE of them - I barely have the space for that many - but I just can't resist the urge to divide and take cuttings of my plants whenever there is a good opportunity to do so.

One reason is that I like the security of having more than one pot of any plant I really like so that if something happens to one of them I still have a "back up".

Sometimes, though, I just like to propagate things because I feel satisfaction from seeing if I can do it and watching the young plant's progress.

Since I am now at the point where I really don't have room for more plants, I will probably start trading away or selling some of my excesses soon.

How many of you are also compulsive about propagation?

Comments (31)