SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kidd_3333

Where to find an independent kitchen designer?

Liz Court
3 years ago

I am in the planning stages of a kitchen remodel and am having a hard time finding an independent kitchen designer. I am planning to use a custom cabinet maker, so I want a KD to help with the layout and to confirm that everything is as it should be. All my prior kitchen remodels and house building experience involved a cabinet supplier with in-house kitchen designers. This is my first time going rogue with a local, custom cabinet maker. I had a contact for an excellent KD that I used for a past project, but I recently found out that it will not work out because of conflicts on her end. So I'm back to square one!

I have been asking around to friends and neighbors to no avail. Everyone has used the in-house KD from wherever they purchased their cabinets or they used the KD from a design-build type of firm. I am not interested in using a design-build firm for this project because I want to use specific contractors for certain elements like the flooring and the cabinetry.

I searched in Houzz and in google and in a local facebook group. All the results are for cabinet suppliers or counter fabricators. Where should I look next? Unfortunately, the cabinet maker is not able to recommend someone because they are over two hours away and don't have contacts in my local area. They offered to do the design for me, but I feel like a KD would be a better choice because they have experience with ALL the elements of the design... not just the cabinet piece of it. I am not comfortable with the idea of using an online service. I want someone who can come see my space and see what we're working with. I don't think an online service can take into account things like sight lines and noise between neighboring rooms and some of the other nuances that come from actually being in a space.

What should I expect for a fee structure? I was expecting this to be like my past experiences working with an architect or landscape designer, essentially paying them by the hour. However, I have one tentative lead on someone local who says they charge a flat rate for design work. I am hesitant to even pursue this option because the flat rate appears to be the equivalent of only about 8-10 hours of design work. That doesn't seem like a sufficient amount of time to map out an entire kitchen, does it?

I want to do this remodel right and I am willing and able to pay for good design work. I just can't find someone!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations