SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
korn_at_woodstock_99

Ficus Audrey growing out of control. can i stunt growth of branch now?

I ran out of characters so I sound like a caveman...

I have a Ficus Audrey plant that has absolutely gone bonkers this summer. Last year I had it inside during the summer in my dining room and it did well, grew probably 10 new leaves over the summer. This year I have it on my humid enclosed porch and its just going nuts. It's grown maybe 25-30 new leaves and is now taller than me (im 6'2).

As you can see in the pictures, there is this one branch growing so awkwardly long out of the base that is now starting to get in the way. In the past 2 months alone that branch has grown several inches and like 5-7 new leaves.

Can i stunt the growth of that branch safely during growing season without damaging anything? I wanted to wait until the fall or winter when growing season is over but It's growing so rapidly that I'm afraid to wait. If it grows much more I won't be able to fit it anywhere inside that would look nice.

My second question is... how do you stunt the growth exactly? I've read its as easy as snipping off the little point at the end of a branch (pictured below)... but its so close to other leaves that I don't want to damage anything on the branch.

Help!!!

Comments (2)