SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lellolicious

Cause of stunted growth and branching issues on fiddle leaf fig?

Erika
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi everyone - I moved to Colorado (zone 6a) 2 years ago. The bright sun and low humidity are different from what I was used to on the east coast, and they may be playing into a couple of the issues I’ve been having with my twin fiddle leaf figs. I’ve also tried to encourage branching and a tree structure recently, but I’m not having a lot of success.

I separated the two from one small plant I bought here shortly after I moved . One lives in a SW corner of my master bathroom upstairs, the other lives in a West-facing window of my living room downstairs. I usually water both at the same time, about once/week in the summer (soaking until water comes out the bottom) and less frequently during cooler months.

Both were doing well and I was going to track down the 5-1-1 mix ingredients to repot them next spring, but I recently figured out the upstairs plant was rootbound and not able to put out any new leaves. So I moved them both to slightly larger pots than what you see in the pics, using Fertilome ultimate potting mix for now. (The upstairs plant since produced 3 new leaves.) As of this summer, I’ve also been fertilizing about every other week with 9-3-6.

Here are my questions:

Photo 1: Earlier this year, one leaf on the upstairs plant came in but stopped growing when it was only a few inches long. The leaves above and below it came in much larger. Why did this happen?

Photo 2: In this photo as well as #1, you can see a few of the leaves wrinkle or cup at the edges, which sometimes prevents normal growth. Was this from not enough water? Not enough humidity? Or something else?

Photo 3: Because my downstairs plant was in a larger pot and grew a bit faster this spring, I took the plunge in June and cut off 3 leaves from the top to encourage branching. (The UPSTAIRS picture above was taken after I made the cut.) I also notched the trunk a few inches below the cut using this video as a guide.

Two branch buds came in (yay!), but the one on the left was growing more slowly and coming in very close to an existing leaf. I worried this would prevent the branch from forming. Do branches and leaves have a way of figuring out how to stay out of each others' way?

Photo 4: Ultimately I decided to cut off the leaf on the left side to allow the branch more room to come in. The branch grew a bit more (blue arrow), but then stopped a few weeks ago and never got much larger than what you see below. The branch on the right has developed 3 full, healthy leaves. Is there anything I can do to kickstart the branch on the left, or encourage a new one?

You can also see in the red circle that a teeny leaf tried to come in below. This is about where I cut the notch (but on the other side of the trunk) so i'm not sure if it's related. Why did this happen?

Photo 5: On the new branch that did grow 3 leaves, I cut off the third leaf, which I'd read to do here, to encourage further growth. But the new bud is again growing right into the existing leaf on the left side. Will it be okay, or is there something else I should do? is there a way of preventing this from happening?

Many thanks in advance!!

Comments (32)