And your palate says ...

bragu_DSM 5

Which of these please your taste buds more this season?

Q.

watermelon: seeded or unseeded?

grapes: red, green or black?

A.

seedless, and red, for me.

Also:

As always, muskmelon over honeydew. Cantaloupe grown in clay soil is best, to me.

Sweet corn; yellow young ears over the peaches and cream.

chime in.

SaveComment16Like
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate z9

Which of these please your taste buds more this season?

Q.

watermelon: seeded or unseeded?

grapes: red, green or black?

A. Watermelon.... cold.... unseeded if possible.

Save    
plllog

Champagne Grapes.

Third week in a row I've been able to get them, which is rare. Most excellent of all.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Watermelon: Seedless

Grapes: Concord, although I am learning to enjoy Muscadines

A really really good honeydew - about as easy to locate as a unicorn

Silver Queen corn

Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
olychick

I save grapes for winter eating, since they seem to be about the same quality year around (at least here). Prefer red seedless.

I don't buy much watermelon, but prefer the seedless. I accidentally bought a little yellow fleshed one from TJ's last week. I don't really care for yellow watermelon so was disappointed when I cut into it, but this was the BEST watermelon I've had for years. Seedless, too.

1 Like Save    
amylou321

Black Seedless grapes. Although I recently discovered some wild Scupernong vines on our property and am learning to love them.

If i have to eat watermelon, ice cold and seedless.

Cantaloupe is my favorite melon.

To me, you cannot top a big,fat, dark, sweet cherry. I have a big bowl of them in my fridge all summer. I pit them all at once when i bring them home and keep em in my "cherry bowl" the fridge so i can eat them with wild abandon with no obstacles. Me and SO both love them. I have been dreaming about them all night at work.......

2 Likes Save    
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Haha I'm still deep in blueberries, it's HOT here.

Save    
Elizabeth

I prefer seeded watermelons as they have more flavor. I find seedless to be almost tasteless. Also I like Honey Rock melons as they are sweeter and juicier than cantaloupe. Grapes were very popular in our house for years but we seem disinterested in them lately.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

amylou321, oh yes please on the cherries! That's one of the things I miss most about spending summers in the Traverse City, Michigan area. Cherry capitol of the world ... And one of my parents' friends actually owned an orchard. They grew Queen Anne cherries. OMG sooooo good!

Save    
Compumom11

Green grapes, seedless watermelon and Sugar Kiss melons. Cherries have been so so. They began the season really sweet, but have now waned.

Save    
lindac92

Seeded watermelon always tastes better....but if you are making a fruit bowl it's a pain. Howevrer if you are sitting on the back steps with the juice running down your chin, spitting the seeds is sort of fun.
and I think seeded grapes taste better too....but are a pain to eat....but always use them for preserves as I run them through the food mill.

Save    
annie1992

I also like the watermelons with seeds, but I cut it all into chunks and take the seeds out before I eat them, I don't like the juice running down my arms, my face, I would prefer a nice bowl of de-seeded chunks.

Grapes? Not a big fan, but I like the darker ones better, the black seedless ones are my favorite.

I like muskmelon if it's good, but it's very often flavorless or over ripe unless I get it right from my garden.

Edie, I'm less than 100 miles from Traverse City, Lars and Kevin and I went there last summer and we bought cherries, both dark and light.

Corn? I've begun to grow a variety called Mirai, it's amazing, I'll pull an ear off in the garden and eat it raw. Other than that I want small/young/tender local sweet corn, it doesn't matter whether it's bi-color or yellow. Here they are selling sweet corn for anywhere from $6 to $8 a dozen, it's really expensive this year!

Annie

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Annie, you lucky person! To be close enough to even visit the TC area! I've always felt that that area was as close to heaven on earth as there is. I so badly miss it.

Save    
Sherry

Seeded watermelon, the huge, old time stripped kind. My grandfather used to buy them in the sixties for a quarter, split them in half and let my brother and I eat what we wanted out of the center. I'm sure they salvaged the remainder, lol.

We also, cut and seed the whole melon. It is just easier to eat. They do have to be very ripe. They have a hollow thunk when hit. To me, the seedless are just not as sweet, although easier to eat and not as huge.

Save    
annie1992

Edie, here they call it the "Crown Jewel" of Michigan. We call it the Cherry Capitol, of course, even the airport there is called the Cherry Capitol Airport, LOL. I like Traverse City a lot, the beaches are lovely and that's where Elery proposed to me, out on a 3 masted schooner in the middle of the bay.

Annie

1 Like Save    
bbstx

Before I moved to the backside of beyond, I could get muscat grapes when they were in season. I sure do miss them.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Watermelon over grapes every time - but I haven't had a really good one yet this season. I also prefer my fruit cut up and deseeded - except for sweet cherries - which I adore.

I've been getting some really lovely nectarines lately - perfectly juicy and heavenly sweet.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides Palatable Palettes: 9 Bold Bathroom Color Schemes
Give your bathroom or powder room a bright new look with beautiful colors that energize the space and please the eye
Full Story
Kitchen Design Palatable Palettes: 8 Great Kitchen Color Schemes
Warm and appetizing or cool and relaxing? These 8 paint palettes can help you choose the best colors for your kitchen
Full Story
Urban Gardens Experiments Aplenty Fill Vancouver Edible Garden
Lush and brimming with test landscape plantings, a Canadian garden appeals to the eye and the palate
Full Story