SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_474174520

Concrete patio damaged by faulty finish work on new build

Daniel
3 years ago

We have a large covered concrete patio attached to the rear of our new home build. There are 3' frost walls under the porch that are attached to the foundation of the house so it will be a step or two steps up from the final graded back yard to step up onto the porch.

The concrete finish appear to pit in a few spots and the aggregate is pulling out of concrete along the saw cut lines in a few spots.

When we discovered this and brought to the attention of the builder, he said he would make it right - rip it out (jack up porch, rip out and re-do), do pavers or bluestone on top.

Pavers don't work as they are 2-3/4" in height and too high.

I can acquire thermal 1" bluestone to apply on top of the patio which would work and still give clearance for rear sliding patio door into house.

The builder is uncomfortable going with the bluestone as his concrete sub is a landscaping company that typically just does concrete and pavers on top. He is worried that he will do it and the bluestone may crack of pop up if not installed correct due to multiple temp changes (Pennsylvania) throughout the year. None of the concrete subs he uses have experience laying bluestone over concrete. From what I have read, it is important to have a mason who knows what they are doing to install bluestone on top of concrete.

He has said he would have original concrete sub attempt to patch or remedy AND then apply the credit for the bluestone price and installation to other upgrades we will be soon be paying for.

Ripping it out via jack hammer and completely redoing it isn't an option at this point as house is drywalled and painted and worried what constant vibration might do.

The last thing mentioned was to have tile guy who is reputable and experienced install porcelain tile of our choice on patio at no cost to us. We looked at some wood plank tiles and grey/blue tiles that have the same color as a piece of thermal bluestone. Tile guy can recreate a repeating square/rectangle size pattern similar to a bluestone patio.

My gut is saying to take the credit and have the bluestone done by someone I can find to install it properly later on so we aren't crunching our brains last minute figuring out what to do.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)