SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matthew_hicks36

Need help!!! What Kind/Color of Back splash!!!

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

So..I have a dilemma. We painted our cabinets and got new hardware but now don't know what to for our back splash. As far as color, type, design, etc... Or even paint color to paint the tiles if necessary. Looking for ideas or even pics of you all think. Counter top is a Brown/Tan/Beige Mocha color. Appliances are black. Cabinets are Green/Grey with Blue.

Honestly we are thinking those peel and stick kind or painting the tile.

Comments (34)

• PRO
    3 years ago

Certainly not that. I am trying to figure out the cabinet color choice with those counters , BTW that small lip will need to be removed no matter what if that is laminate counter I would spend the money on a new counter that works with the cabinets . If you can’t do that IMO keep the tiles that are there they at least work with the counter

• 3 years ago

I’d leave what you have and buy some blue counter top accessories. It will make the counter seem a rich copper and play well w the pale bluish green cabs and the backsplash will recede or be a neutral background element. I definiely like what you have better than whatever that sample is.

• 3 years ago

I don't think we change the counter top right now

• PRO
    3 years ago

if you can't change the countertop, then just wait. you don't do tile on top of a laminate 4" backsplash. looks horrible.

wait until you can get a new counter. (Check into pre-fab granite/quartz countertops. for your simple L shape, it shouldn't be that expensive)

Or, look into doing a butcher block.

why did you pick such a blue/gray color w/that yellow toned countertop and flooring?

when it comes time for a new countertop, pick something very neutral. Like a plain off-white quartz. . (do not get the 4" piece up the back)

Then you can do you tile splash

if you guys are DIY, you can do a cement overlay over that laminate for about $100. Arden cement overlay. they have videos. At least the cement would work w/the cabinet color.

Matthew Hicks thanked Beth H. :
  • 3 years ago

Those samples are just ones we thought would work. If those don't work what would? Even paint the tile?

• PRO
    3 years ago

it's not the tile. it's your countertop that's the main prob. the colors don't work w/the cool blue gray paint. doesn't matter what tile you pick, it's still not going to work.

leave it until you can change the countertop, otherwise you're wasting money and doing double work.

if you guys are DIY, you can do a cement overlay over that laminate for about $100. Arden cement overlay. they have videos. At least the cement would work w/the cabinet color.

https://www.younghouselove.com/trying-our-hand-at-ardex-concrete-counters/

https://abeautifulmess.com/concrete-feather-finish-countertops/

• 3 years ago

Would painting the back tile help at all? If so what color?

• PRO
    3 years ago

NO See above

• 3 years ago

I would leave as is.

The tile relates to the floor.

The reason why you are having an issue is that your overall counter reads brown. It is competing with the blue/ gray cabinets.

In order to marry the two, you need a transition color. Not sure what that could be.

I would wait. Make this a priority. Start saving for a new counter and backsplash.

You want to go in the gray direction. But please, before you do anything else, come here and we can help you.

Honestly as pretty as the color is on the cabinets, no one here would have given you the high five to pair it with the counter.

Decorating is hard. Yes you will get different opinions bu, for the most part there will be a majority that will agree.

In the mean time, step back and enjoy your bright clean space.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Its already been done incorrectly once don't contribute to that or you will create a complete disaster. There should never have been tile installed above the 4" curb/backsplash that exists. Period. Wait until you can afford to proceed correctly.

• 3 years ago

If we did paint the counter top either an off white or use that Arden Cement layover, then what kind of back splash should be used?

• PRO
    3 years ago

Matthew are you removing the existing portion of the counter/ backsplash lip I have circled here? This is the part that several of us have told you shouldn't be there in order for a backsplash to be used.

• 3 years ago

If you mean the black part, I could, but that is glued to the existing tile. I would be afraid to pull of any tile. But if you mean the 4” counter back lip, that would stay so we would just re paint the counter in general

• PRO
    3 years ago

You seem to really be focused in on this backsplash issue! your countertop already has a backsplash. it's never advisable to do tile on top of the 4" piece up the back.

On laminate countertop, I don't think you can cut off that piece without affecting the rest of it. since it's made of particle board, any water that now gets into that open portion will ruin the rest of the material.

So, you see the pictures I posted? In a few of them w/the concrete overlay, they did retile w/plain subway tile. It looks ok. In a pinch,, it could work.

this is the Henry Feather finish concrete overlay. (Ardex is the other version)

they did the 4" piece up the back too. and they have this old white tile that they left. You could paint that square tile that is there. just paint it a matte white.

here is a link of how they did this countertop

https://andthenwetried.com/2017/06/feather-finish-concrete-over-tile-counters/

In the near future, could you scrape up about 1500 to do a pre-fab countertop? (the 9' pre fabs are about 450 or so. then you hire a fabricator to cut and seam it for your measurements (on site). could be 700-100.

you wouldn't get the 4" piece up the back.

your other tile would be removed, and now you can tile yourself.

These are all pre fab. (I don't know where you live, or how much you can budget and save, but this is a doable budget option if you do a lot of the foot work yourself)

even this prefab granite in the black,white/gray, is super cheap. this whole 9' countertop is prob less than $500.

And no to that SS mosaic tile. It's out. it doesn't fit your style kitchen.

Do a simple tile of some sort. a simple off white or another color that works w/both the tile floor and the blue/gray paint.

IF you decide to do the concrete overlay, you can choose to tint the cement. (you could do a soft white, or even go as dark as black. or just stick w/the gray)

(remove the tile backsplash off the wall before you do the countertop)

once the concrete is done, now you can determine what color tile will work w/everything.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Try to avoid busy pattern.

• PRO
    3 years ago

I suspect you aren't understanding what we are calling a backsplash and you think its part of the counter. Its the part of your "counter" that goes up onto your wall. The black stripe for some odd reason has been glued on top of that and then tile -put up above it. As I said a real mess is going on there. When you do a backsplash, regardless of what type of countertop you have the tile backsplash should go all the way down to the flat counter. Here are some examples with formica counters

WRONG

CORRECT

WRONG

CORRECT

• 3 years ago

So sorry for all the questions.

I greatly appreciate everyones wise words!!

Hopefully last question. Playing devils advocate, if we had no choice in switching out our countertop or taking off the pre existing tile would you recommend the grayish color from the concrete or a off white color for the counter tops? (If we were to resurface) If the counter tops got colored to either one of those colors would you keep the tile as is or try to do something with it?

• 3 years ago

Agree with just waiting and trying to save $ for new countertop if you are going to be in this home for a while. Just add a kitchen rug and some accessories to the counter to try to bridge the gap between cabinet and floor/counter colors.

• 3 years ago

Just re-laminate your counter. It is really cost effective. And as others have mentioned, you already have a backsplash, so no tile.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Well you won't be able to keep the tile as is if you take the 4" backsplash strip off. Also we can't begin to choose a countertop color without seeing the overall space.

• PRO
    3 years ago

if it were me and I only had an extra $200 bucks, I'd do the DIY countertop overlay (i've given you 2-3 links with complete how-to's. it's not difficult)

I'd remove that black thin strip. i'm guessing it's there to cover a gap between the 4" back piece and the tile?

I'd remove the tile from the wall completely. You don't need a tile. you could do something as simple as drywall. just resurface the wall after removing the tile, and paint.

like this. plain old painted drywall

Or, you could do the beadboard in a wallpaper

https://www.fwmadebycarli.com/2011/10/kitchen-updates-bead-board-backsplash.html

(you could also just get the real beadboard stuff. this is prob cheaper)

So, to recap this, you'd remove the tile. do the concrete overlay. and do the beadboard backsplash. All of this could be done for less than $200. would look similar to this, depending on the colors you picked.

Or, you could remove the old tile and do some new subway tile. it's cheap and easy, and would look something like this: (this is a darker tinted concrete. comes in a powder you mix w/the cement mix)

same thing, white subway tile on top of the back piece.

Or, for a few hundred, did you know you can make your own wood countertop? it's another option. With this you could remove everything, including the tile, (floor and decor sells butcher block countertops in the 500 dollar range. another option.

or, construct your own

https://www.artsychicksrule.com/how-to-make-a-diy-wood-countertop/

this would buy you time to save for the other countertop

don't know if you can work w/wood, but this shows you how to take inexpensive wood boards and make your own butcher block. it can be done cheaply, with some wood working skills

http://decoratorswisdom.com/decor/kitchens/diy-wood-countertop-how-to/

• 3 years ago

Don’t do anything . The cabinets cool down the counters to make them feel quite liveAble. The painting was a big deal . I would take it easy / it’s fine. It looks good

• PRO
    3 years ago

herb,,,no, it really doesn't. everyone on here has concurred . Cabinets don't 'cool' down a countertop. they clash.

The OP is asking about tile. we are trying to help him w/the overall look. why should he 'take it easy' ? lol He obvisouly wants to change it out or he wouldn't be here asking for advice.

• 3 years ago

Would you all recommend using those resurface paint kits, contact paper, or the Concrete Overlay to give the countertop a facelift? What color would look best with the cabinets? Marble White? Solid Grey?

• 3 years ago

It looks good to me and I for certain wouldn’t paint the counters. You get into a lot of piecemeal activity and

money and time. It looks good.

• 3 years ago

w regards “everyone “ thinks this clashes..... There are 3 houses on my street in similar shades of gray green recently painted with various wood porches / cedar shake details / wood front doors and the paint shade becomes a neutral and great backdrop .

• 3 years ago

So I think we are leaning towards painting the counter top a off white. Do you all recommend a polyurethane top coat or epoxy?

• PRO
    3 years ago

with respect to the concrete overlay, yes, it does last.

as for the painting products, probably wouldn't last long.

regarding the laminate overlay?? why go through that expense (the custom laminate option is $27 a sq ft. For that price they could get a pre fab piece of granite and have it cut and installed.)

when you can just buy a new 9' laminate countertop for $200?

they have this marble look option that would go w/your cabinets

here, want to DIY your own laminate countertops?https://www.thecraftpatchblog.com/how-to-diy-laminate-countertops/

this formica basalt actually looks pretty good

• 3 years ago

Did you paint the cabinets two different colors- green/gray on top and blue on the bottom?

The countertop clashes with the bottom cabinets. I agree with Beth’s suggestion to replace the countertop with a laminate one, either a marble look white or a plain white, with a white subway tile backsplash. Don’t add another color if you already have two different colors for your cabinetry. Keep the rest simple.

• 3 years ago

Your current laminate countertops are what is known as post form with an integral 4" backsplash. The backsplash is integrated and cannot be removed.

So, Beth gave you best options if you're keeping your existing countertop - remove the tile that's there, patch/drywall and paint or beadboard wall paper and cement resurface our countertop.

But, if you're handy, for probably under $300 or so, you can replace what you have with pre-built laminate countertops from Home Depot with or without an integral backsplash. Your existing countertop has a 45 degree seam in the corner. You can buy these prefab counters pre-mitered for the corner. It's really a simple, straighforward project - cut out for sink and cooktop. That's exactly what your existing countertops are.

• 3 years ago

In your opinion should we keep the actual kitchen white which is on top of the cabinets or is another color better?

• 3 years ago

I don't mind the white you have. It looks like it relates well to the existing floor. I'd wait to make a decision on that until you decide what you'll do with the countertops. Paint colors are virtually limitless. You'll have many fewer choices with the countertop colors.

• 3 years ago

@Matthew Hicks Here's a link you might find beneficial regarding pre-made laminate countertops that you can install yourself. I think they also sell butcher block. Any decisions on your next steps?

https://www.vtindustries.com/tops-surfaces/