SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelica_suarez

Granite nightmare. Am I being unreasonable?

Angelica Suarez
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This all started back in May. I wanted to change out my old brown granite for something lighter, more versatile. I chose a granite company. He had good reviews and he did my kids bathroom countertop which I liked and so I went with him. I paid half, his team installed the pieces, then I paid the other half on completion. Keep in mind, I'm female, a single mom, I don't really know too much about the cutting fabrication process and what the standard is for overhang, etc. Once they were gone is when I saw all the problems. The overhang was 1/2" in some areas and 2" in others, large gaps that wouldn't be covered by a backsplash. It looked bad. I have 2 large pieces that needed to be replaced. So I texted and called him and for weeks he made promises to come out and fix it. After weeks of him dragging this out, I left a review for him and the same day he texted me that he would have this team make a template. So his team came the following week, made the template, and it took another almost 3-4 weeks before he could find light fantasy brown. BUT what he did was used leftover stone from the first project for one piece and cut the second piece from a new stone which to my eye looks different. Also I see large cracks that go through and I can feel them also so I know they aren't just natural imperfections. Am I expecting too much? I've seen countertops that look perfect, no wobbly edges, 1.5" overhang (or close to it) and no cracks straight through. I am here crying because I spent $3k and I don't make that much to begin with. I wanted to beautify my little kitchen and now I hate looking at it. What is my recourse? Small claims court? I initially wanted him to remove everything and give me a refund but he said he couldn't do that. Now I gave him a chance to correct and it looks worse than before. So am I being unreasonable? Are granite countertops supposed to have cracks, wobbly edges, and pieces taken from 2 different slabs? First 3 pictures are from the first job with the uneven overhang. Pictures following are of the cracks and color difference from two different slabs.

Comments (6)