Anglophilia; sad news

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Suzanne Chandler Robinett Brown

Suzanne Chandler Robinett Brown died at home surrounded by her family on July 28, 2020 in Louisville, KY. Suzanne, daughter of Hayden Maurice and Anne Mae Chandler Robinett, grew up in Topeka, Kansas and graduated from Topeka High School. She later attended Washburn University in Topeka as well as The Tobé-Coburn School in New York City.

Suzanne spent many years in St. Louis, where her children were born and she met her second husband, Morgan Scott Brown. Other stops included a brief time in Los Angeles and then Louisville for the last 36 years. The other special place in her life was Edgartown, MA on the island of Martha's Vineyard. Introduced to the island in 1978, it became a destination for Suzanne and her family almost every summer.

She also loved interior decorating. She poured her heart and soul into her house and was justifiably proud of those efforts. Her beautiful garden that she and Morgan painstakingly grew for over 30 years created a lovely oasis for her family. She loved her many dogs, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, over the years. In recent years, they and her grandchildren were her priority and joy.

Suzanne is survived by her children, John R. Bradbury, Jr, of Darien, CT, and Sarah B. Robbins (Keith) of Louisville, KY. She leaves four grandchildren: Henry W. Robbins and William C. Robbins of Louisville, and John R. Bradbury, III and Lily S. Bradbury of Darien. She was predeceased by her loving husband, Morgan S. Brown, in 2005. They will all miss her very much.

She was a long time parishioner of St. Francis in the Fields Episcopal Church in Louisville. A memorial service will be held at St. Francis at a future date, and she will be interred with Morgan at St. Matthew's Episcopal Church in Bedford, New York. The family requests that in lieu of flowers, contributions be made in her memory to St. Francis in the Fields Episcopal Church.

NB Anglophilia's given name was never hidden. It, along with her home phone number, was on her Houzz Pro profile. I had a bad feeling about her absence and Googled.

SaveComment21Like3
Comments (21)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Thank you for posting this. So very sad, she will be missed.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Zalco/bring back Sophie!
Jasdip

This is sad to see. I know she's had some serious health issues over the past year.

I have made her Angel Food Cake recipe a few times, it's in my keeper binder.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Zalco/bring back Sophie!
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

OHGoodness. So sad. Thank you for posting, Zalco.

shirl36

So sad to hear. My sincere sympathy to her family.

CA Kate z9

Thankyou for letting us know, Zalco. She will be missed.

bragu_DSM 5

yes, here is her angel food cake recipe ...

Whites of 12 eggs (I usually use Jumbo - at least use Extra Large)- room temperature

1 1/2 cups white sugar

1 cup cake flour (I use Swansdown cake flour)

1 tsp cream of tartar - heaping teaspoon

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla (use the real stuff, not artificial)

1 tsp almond extract

Sift sugar twice. Set aside.

Beat egg whites a few beats and add salt. Then beat until frothy and add cream of tartar. Continue beating until they make good peaks. Sift sugar into the egg whites. Add extracts and salt.

Sift cake flour 3 times and gently fold into batter.

Put into large tube pan that has been rinsed with cold water.

Put into COLD oven and bake about 55-60 minutes. If using a convection oven, bake about 30-40 minutes. It should be starting to come away from center tube.

Remove cake from oven. Turn cake upside down to cool. When cool, turn rightsize up and put on plate. Either frost it or serve it with whipped cream and fresh fruit - we love it served with red raspberries.

A home made, from scratch, angel food taste is a totally different cake than one from a bakery or made from a mix. It not only doesn't taste the same, the texture is completely different. This one is light as air!

When cutting it, either use two forks, back to back to tear it into a single piece or use an angel food cake slicer, using a sawing action.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Zalco/bring back Sophie!
lizbeth-gardener

Sad to hear of her passing-seems like a short time ago she was still posting. Thank you, Zalco, for going the extra mile.

mtnrdredux_gw

Oh I am so very sad to hear this. I know at one point she mentioned ill health. I always liked her posts, and I believe I made her strata recipe a few times. Rest in peace, Anglophilia.

Thank you, Zalco, for letting us know.

Sooz

So sad, so sorry to read this. Godspeed Anglophilia!

lisaam

I'm surprised how sad this made me feel. She was one of those members who shared a lot of herself in her posts. Her love for Martha's vineyard was one of the things that connected me to Anglo.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Zalco/bring back Sophie!
rubyclaire

I'm so sorry to read this. Odd how I feel like I know her when I don't. I think it is a testament to how generous she was with revealing her true self on this online forum. Rest in peace, Anglophilia. And thank you for sharing this Zalco.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Zalco/bring back Sophie!
Arapaho-Rd

Very sad to hear. Rest in Peace Suzanne. You will be missed by your friends here.

Islay Corbel

Rest in peace. Such sad news.

Save     Thanked by Zalco/bring back Sophie!
lindac92

Oh....so sorry....she will be missed.

stars26

very sorry for the loss. she will be missed. RIH 🕊️

gardener123wewantsophie

Rest in peace, Anglophilia. You will be missed...Godspeed.

l pinkmountain

Class act! Smart and gracious. RIP, loved getting to know her and her contributions1

jill302

Very sad to here of her passing, enjoyed so many of her posts.

beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally

Oh no, what sad news. Thank you so much for posting this, Zalco. I will miss Anglo very much.

Annie Deighnaugh

I'm so sorry. Sending her family thoughts of peace, condolence and solace in this difficult time.

Save    
tami_ohio

I;m so sorry to hear this. My sympathy to her family.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Art Show News: Rare Quilts Get Museum Time
See 6 intricate designs from a California exhibition and get tips for building your own quilt collection
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Bear-y Playful Panda Decor
Adorable or abstract, these panda-loving furnishings and accessories are right on time for a D.C. zoo's happy news
Full Story
Bathroom Design Special Report: Bath Trends From Valencia
Spain Design News: Minimal Sinks, Stacked Vanities — and Modern Glam
Full Story