Shopping via Instacart

Winter

If you use Instacart...as do I on a very regular basis but with the aid of a VPN...read the following recent report and use caution when shopping.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/24/instacart-data-theft-two-factor/

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elmer J Fudd

The article says that some Instacart sign-ins were obtained from breaking into other websites. Using a VPN won't help you at all for such incidents, not a stitch. VPN encrypts data transmissions enroute to mask their contents and your location. It lands at websites in the same condition and with the same info (other than originating IP address) visible to that site as if you hadn't used VPN. The site you're accessing has to see your username and password in plain, unencrypted form (as if no VPN) to grant access. That's what was taken and then used on thousands of other sites.

You seem to have a number of misimpressions or misinformation concerning different IT topics.

My instacart password is definitely reused - if someone wants to abscond with it and use my NY Times digital subscription, they're welcome to do so. Two factor authentication is annoying and mostly unnecessary. It's often recommended or required by financial institutions and it's mostly to protect them, not their customers.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Missoni for Target Collection Debuts to a Shopping Frenzy
Get a look at the colorful collection that led eager shoppers to line up early and crash site
Full Story
Kitchen Cabinets What to Shop for in Cabinet Hardware and Millwork
Learn about finishing touches for kitchen and bath cabinets to pick the options that will work best for you
Full Story
Most Popular Budget Decorator: Shop Your Home for a New Look
Redecorate without spending a cent by casting a creative eye on the showroom called home
Full Story