Do You Read/Write Reviews?

secsteve

Just curious to see if I'm one of few who reads or writes reviews.

Usually if I'm buying a new product I like to check out the reviews (eyed carefully to make sure they've been written by real people) and in some cases, I've even written one or two.

Last experience, which I mentioned on here, the company removed the review twice. Makes me wonder if it's worth bothering.

Thoughts?

SaveComment30Like1
Comments (30)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amylou321

I read reviews.

I have written reviews if the product is REALLY good or REALLY bad.

I wrote a bad review on Amazon for some plastic containers that were labeled as dishwasher safe, but melted and deformed in the dishwasher and attached a picture to the review. The company sent me replacements without me asking. I didn't return them or complain to the company, just wrote a bad review. I did update my review after I received the new ones.

1 Like Save    
Lars

I read and write reviews, but I have never checked to see whether any of my reviews have been removed - I can't be bothered at that point.

1 Like Save    
wildchild2x2

Once in a while if a product or service really impresses me. I don't write bad reviews because I have had good luck contacting the vendor directly if something goes sideways.

1 Like Save    
eld6161

I write reviews, when I’m asked. Most often for Ann Taylor Loft. I usually get the update that my review is posted, but like Lars, I can’t be bothered looking for it.

1 Like Save    
nicole___

I'm a big review writer and reader. Complete with photos. ☺ Especially stores or services.

Save    
maifleur03

I do both. But I also understand that some of the reviews are so strangely written that I wonder if the reviewer has actually used the product or knew how to use it. I normally look at the bad ones first.

If you see top heavy number of reviews normally the bad ones have been removed. This is especially true for restaurants since they all have that one customer that hates everything. If you do not see that type of review they have been scrubbed of all of the bad ones.

If I had placed a bad review and it had been removed twice there is nothing I can do about it. If asked I would tell the truth about what you did not like.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I very rarely write them and I read them with skepticism. Businesses that have a disproportionate number of positive comments (compared to competitors) have obviously padded the ballot box and I move on. As on Yelp or Goodreads (Amazon too), I look at the consistency of ratings and ignore numbers. Figuring that too many reviews are written either by bored fanboys or those who feel they were wronged and are angry about it, the usefulness of amateur reviews is limited.

Save    
Fun2BHere

I read the one and two star reviews to see if there are any problems that would also be a problem for me. I rarely leave reviews unless a product or service has been egregiously misrepresented. I figure there are plenty of positive reviews without mine. I don't check back to see if my negative review has been removed. I don't care at that point.

ETA: eBay is one platform where I always leave a review. Reviews cannot be removed without a lot of effort and I like knowing how a seller handles their transactions. Again, I read for content to see if a negative is a consistent issue with that seller or a one-time glitch.

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Definitely read reviews. Rarely leave one.

But I must say that I give reviews at the stores I shop. Especially for good service. So many only hear the complaints.

Save    
blfenton

I always read reviews. But ignore the ones that give something a one star because it isn't what they wanted. Well, okay, that's your problem and not that of the seller or the product.

1 Like Save    
aok27502

I read them, especially the negative ones. Most often, their problems wouldn't be a problem for me.

I never write reviews. I used to, upon occasion. Then I noticed a pattern of write review:get spammed. Every time, I would get slammed with spam email. So nope, no more reviews.

Save    
graywings123

I both read and write reviews. When reading them, I look to the 3 and 4 star reviews to tell about specific elements of the item I might want to know about, like, "works well but difficult to clean," "the pockets are at an odd angle," or "it's bulky to carry and the handle is flimsy."

You can usually discount the one star reviews as irrelevant (comments about shipping) or someone's bad luck getting a total failure of that one unit.

When the company won't post my less than glowing review, I search for somewhere else to post it. When Castro Convertibles wouldn't post my review of their ottoman, I took it to Amazon. Reviews on company websites are generally not helpful.

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

Very rare for me to write a public review, although I will 'click' a kindle book 4 or 5 stars if I particularly liked it.

Save    
georgysmom2

I read reviews but do bot write them.

Save    
share_oh

Yes I do both - esp on Amazon.

Last year I wrote a negative review for a company (not thru Amazon) that I bought some big canvas prints from (my photos). Several came out blurry - never had that problem before with a different company. They would let me know if the size I had selected wouldn't print a clear picture.

Anyhow, the company complained to the review site that I hadn't placed an order and was giving them a false review! I had to submit proof that I had ordered from them.

I later checked to see if my review had been restored and it had not. Will never buy from that company again that's for sure.

Save    
adellabedella_usa

I do. It's very rare for me to write a bad review because I like to read through other people's reviews before I purchase. I tend to read the the best and the worst. If the worst are rather petty, I will ignore them. I try to watch for fake reviews too.

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

I rarely write a review, but I read them and take clues from them. I read the bad ones too, keeping in mind that there's always someone who likes to complain. Found one review of a shirt I was considering for DH at Land's End. Someone complained that for a winter catalog shirt, the fabric was too thin. Aha, DH loves very thin fabric, so I ordered one of every color and wrapped them as a birthday present. He was very happy, and the shirts are good quality. So sometimes even the complaints help me find what I want.

Save    
dedtired

Yes. I count on reviews a lot, especially on Amazon. Its not hard to discern real reviews from fakes. I find them very helpful.

I also read reviews of clothing and shoes. Its helpful to know if the item runs large or small.

I do write reviews but mostly if i had a bad experience. One time i wrote a bad review of some no-show socks. I wore them under some flats while in the airport. By the time i got half way to my gate they were in a ball under my feet. I took them off and threw them in the trash. After i wrote the review I got an email from the company saying i should try a larger size and they sent me some free. I tried them and they still ended up in a ball under my feet! Did not retract my review!

If i get an email asking for for feedbackI usually respond but only if it’s short.

Save    
bleusblue2

My relative has a bookstore and of course her inventory is online with Amazon. She works hard to keep her ratings up -- Amazon seldom backs up a seller. In the last month she got two bad reviews -- one was a scam. The customer complained that her book came with ink notes in the margins and a shabby cover. Well. It didn't happen. Real booksellers have a very strict rating system for books and each book she sends out is carefully rechecked. So what did she do about that bad review? She posted an apology on line and refunded the customer's money. The second review -- two stars -- was not malicious but just a mistake in communications. Her overall store rating is 98% but these two bad reviews have put the current rating down to 80 percent. She can live with that but one more bad review will make her business look like one to pass by! She says the scam artists are rare and there's not much she can do about it without making her own life miserable.

Knowing this, I ALWAYS post reviews when satisfied. I have posted one bad review in ten years and it was a doozy and well deserved.

Save    
always1stepbehind

I read reviews and I like reviews on products where the consumer can post picture of the actual product such as home décor, rugs etc...gives you an idea actual colors, textures...whether it looks better in real life etc.

Save    
stacey_mb

Audible.com encourages listeners to review audiobooks and I have written a few. I always check reviews before purchasing an audiobook but sometimes despite this I have returned a book if it isn't to my liking. Fortunately, Audible.com has a very generous return policy. I haven't always checked for my reviews, but I did see one that was less than positive.

Save    
chisue

I read reviews of products, but I don't write them.

Because reviews are solicited when the item is newly received, they seldom tell you about durability. Yes, of course, a new vacuum has great suction right out of the box, and most fabrics look fine before they've been laundered. Later?

Why can't a woman's blouse have collar and sleeve (and bust) measurements posted, like a man's shirt? Just tell me how many inches there are from neck to hem on that nightgown. What's the fabric content (60 cotton/40 polyester)?

Save    
joann_fl

I read many and only write a few.

Save    
krystalmoon2009

I always read reviews and occasionally write them

Save    
Winter

For the few products that I shop on line...rather than directly with the product distributor...I always read the negative comments. I rarely buy anything that I'm not fully familiar with [construction wise] so when reading the negative comments I recognize the ones that need to be acknowledged with some concern.

I only write reviews when I truly think I have something worth offering to the buying public....which isn't that often.

Save    
dedtired

Ebay is the place to count on ratings. The Buyer not only gets to post a review but the Seller does, too. Sellers cant survive without good ratings but. Buyers who are scammers are also identified.

I also read and count on ratings from reviewers on AirBnB and VRBO. I always leave reviews, too. One thing i like is that you can communicate with the owner privately after your stay. I told one owner that they really need to replace a stained sofabed. She told me that we forgot to put a table back where it belonged! However we each gave the other a good public review, both honest.

Save    
joanmn

I read and write reviews. I am a Spark reviewer for Walmrt. Every one they send me says to be honest. And I am. I choose or decline each product. No sense getting one I can't or won't use.

One i wrote this winter was way under their 200 word minimum. It was a set of beautiful luggage, metallic looking, in rose gold. The color is what made me choose them. And my review was "Pretty, but I can't get past the smell". I kept them in a spare bedroom for 3 months, open, and we did use one. But the room stunk for at least the first month. I review books, too. I also read the reviews, because even free books aren't wroth getting if they're not wroth reading.

Save    
socks

Read and write, yelp too. My reviews are 3-5 starts. In the lower reviews, I always try to feed in some positive comments too. Books, I review almost every book I read and enjoy reading others' reviews.

Save    
jakkom

I use reviews quite a lot, so I try to write one whenever possible. We buy a lot from Amazon so I figure I should contribute. Tried a new facial mask and am very pleased with it, but there were no reviews at all on it.

Altho several mfgs offered similar versions, nobody had posted any reviews on the design. So I posted a full review on the mask.

I always post reviews on Kindle e-books. We have hundreds of them, and many weren't worth keeping permanently. I'm a BookBub subscriber so am always trying new authors. It's my way of keeping track of books that sound interesting but I don't want to get suckered into buying again, because I wasn't that impressed with it!

Save    
OutsidePlaying

Yes, I read reviews, pretty much the way Graywings described. I also write them on occasion and am honest about every little thing. I praise when an item is better than expected, and I provide details as to why I give a lower rating when something is off or service has been poor.

Chisue, I think many sellers generally want a review to be written quickly. You are right, sometimes the window of opportunity is very short to write one because you are pressured almost immediately into writing one. I don’t if I cannot provide a real evaluation.

I write a lot of poor reviews about the fit of women’s clothing these days. Even when, for example, the length of a dress is posted, you can’t always tell where the waistline is in relation to the shoulders. Same with the shoulder measurements and sleeve lengths.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides The Quotable Garden: Writings That Will Grab Your Heart
Maybe you’ll see yourself in these reflections. Or maybe you’ll find a whole new way of looking at gardening
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Letter Writing in Modern Style
Resurrect the lost art of letter writing with unmistakably current desk accessories, stationery and pens
Full Story