SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
may_404

Why does my Hoya Kerrii’s baby leaf look shriveled up?

May
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Help please! I’m new to houseplants. I bought this Hoya Kerrii as a single leaf beginning of this July and was lucky enough to have it grow a stem by day 11 of receiving it (believe it or not!).

It was growing incredibly fast, but I noticed that the first leaf coming out was looking more...folded up/wilted? And it seems that it’s been growing slower in the last week or so. I noticed 1 or 2 fungus gnats on my plant and 1-2 baby fungus gnats running around in the soil a few days ago and immediately bought some insecticidal soap to use and bomide systemic insect control to use when I next water it. (Update: no more gnats seen now) I can’t tell if what’s causing this wilted leaf and stunted growth is the fungus gnats, lack of watering, or root rot? I’m surprised it even has fungus gnats because I’ve tried to not overwater. I’ve only watered it once since receiving it when the soil was dry about 2 weeks ago and watered it thoroughly until the water was running through the drain holes. The top 1.5 inches are dry right now. The lighting in my house isn’t the best so maybe that’s why it doesn’t dry up fast enough (?), but it‘s on a window sill that gets semi moderate indirect light. The soil seems to be well aerated. I’m wondering if I should just wait it out and hope that the leaf unfolds itself? Or if there’s something wrong that I should fix. Any advice would be appreciated :) thanks!

July11

July 18

July 25

Both July 30

Update July 31 (strangely enough the bottom half of the leaf has flattened itself out and the stem has grown a bit, so growth doesn’t seem to be stagnant as I had thought. And no fungus gnats in sight)

Comments (15)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor