SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_dean3

Help with countertops/backsplash for my galley kitchen!

Amanda Dean
3 years ago

We are having our small galley kitchen mostly remodeled. Photos below: the cabinet frames will remain, but we will have new cabinet doors and drawers in a shaker style. Old fashioned scalloping will be removed, and cabinets will be painted Naturel by Sherwin williams (a light, warm greige - you can barely see it sampled on the cabinet-side behind the wooden cart)). Thinking brushed gold/brass hardware but also considering dark hardware. We will also be extending the wall and cabinetry on the left side of the stove (where that rolling cart is now), to give some extra counterspace. We will be replacing the appliances gradually beginning with the range, in a GE slate-colored stainless. The microwave hood will be replaced with a hood insert custom-covered with a panel. The tile floors will remain. Sink will be replaced with a single-bowl stainless steel.

I feel really good about those decisions, but I'm stuck on countertops and backsplash, and I'm struggling because I guess it seems like I disagree with the world. I hate granite and marble. I'd love soapstone but my budget won't allow. Right now I think I have my heart set on butcher block counters on the left side, around the stove. And I'm thinking laminate on the right - WITH the 4" splash. But this goes against every advice I receive and every photo I see - these days people take laminate straight to the wall, and then tile up. I just don't love a tiled backsplash - to me it seems to close the room in, and who wants more grout to scrub? But we definitely need some backsplash protection. I also can't decide between a darker charcoal laminate, and a lighter mostly-white laminate. It seems the charcoal would balance the darker wood on the other side (and seems a bit more classic to me versus farmhouse which I'm tired of), but I also don't want to totally darken the room. The only natural light is a set of double glass doors directly behind me in the first photo.

SO, what color laminate would you choose? And am I crazy to use the "outdated" built in backsplash on my counters instead of tile? Also, if I do this, I would install a butcher block 4" splash on the left to match, would I run this behind my slide-in range chop it at the sides? Would you tile just behind the stove? Or use a sheet of stainless steel behind the stove? I'm struggling to find images of what I'm thinking, or to know if it's practical.

The kitchen is heavily used - we have four growing children, and most days I'm cooking 3 meals a day, playing around with recipes, sometimes cooking for large crowds. So while I'm so excited for a beautiful kitchen, I want practical and enjoyable to use more than anything. I want a combination of colors that warm up the room, but materials like stainless that make cooking/cleaning more fun.

Would stainless steel counters be a crazy idea...? Tell me your thoughts! ... as long as they aren't marble and subway tile. :)

Comments (23)