SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anna_zdulska

Different Off White Paint in Open Floor Plan

Anna Zdulska
3 years ago

My fiancé and I are moving to a home with an open floor plan and we’re stuck on how to paint it. We are pretty young homeowners and we like the simplicity of white walls- but at the same time, we’re worried it will be too boring and safe. I did some research and some people have recommended doing a “gradient” effect with open floor plans of using a light shade in the biggest room and a couple shades darker with each room. This is in our best interest because we have a living room we want to keep bright, a dining room, and finally at the end a “creativity” room we’d like to use to read and play guitar in. However, since we want to keep everything generally white and neutral, we’re entertaining the idea of a Benjamin Moore white dove living room, Benjamin Moore calm dining room, and Benjamin Moore classic gray family/creativity/entryway (this would go from greatest LRV to lowest so lighter to darker whites). We’ve tested them out and they look good on the walls.

My only concern is if we are looking in the open floor plan, will the different off whites clash with each other and bring out undertones in a bad way? Or will this look nice and create a gradient effect?

We have painters and they cover 1 paint color per room. On one side I know these colors are so similar that it might not even be noticeable- that risk I’m ok with because either way we can use 1 paint per room. What I’m more worried about is an unsightly clashing of undertones and the open floor plan not looking in harmony.

I’ve checked and all 3 of these colors are of the yellow hue family. I’ve brought up using White Dove for everything but my fiancé thinks it’s “too boring”.

If anyone has an expertise in using different off-white paints in open floor plans I’d greatly appreciate it. We’re young, first time home owners so we we’re grateful from any advice of the Houzz community. Thank you!

Comments (10)