Starch to substitute for cornstarch?

plllog

I can't believe I have no cornstarch. I always have cornstarch. I've already started the mise en place for lemon cookies which need it for crisping.

Will potato starch work? Tapioca? Arrrowroot?

I could just wrap up the ingredients and make them after a grocery delivery, but will potato work, specifically for cookies? Or arrowroot? Or tapioca?

Thanks!

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Save     Thanked by plllog
Gooster

For crisping, rice flour. (Potato may also work but I'm less certain)

plllog

LALA, thanks for the link. It's about thickening, however.

Thnaks, Gooster, but I don't have any rice flour! And I don't think my spice grinder will get rice fine enough. I'll give it a try. I do have some very dry rice. :)

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Try arrowroot - it seems the closest.

Is it tapioca flour? Because that might be OK as well.

bragu_DSM 5

how about ... bleh ... ground grits?

it's good for crunchy pork chops ...

or panko?

Lars

I use both potato starch and tapioca starch for thickening. Potato starch will not maintain its thickening properties in a sauce when it is reheated, however - it is more of a one-time shot, for which it works very well.

If you have tapioca and arrowroot, I would use one of those for the cookies.

I use potato starch as a substitute for taro root when I make okonomiyaki.

plllog

Thanks, everybody! Even Dave--the grits idea was relevant, but although cornstarch is often called corn flour, it's not just ground up corn. It's boiled and separated and washed to get the starch out.

Yes, it's powder tapioca starch. I also have tapioca pearls, but that's different. You have to soak pearls to reduce them back to starch, but then it's too wet to use as starch.

I checked two stores for cornstarch and neither had a box. One had one small tin. The other had four slightly larger, but definitely gravy thickening size (I use Wondra for that). I will get a gravy sized Clabber Girl non-gmo tin (plastic?) for things like cookies. I don't really need a whole box right now--just usually have one.

If this happens again, I'll go for the arrowroot.

The dearth got me to decide that substituting on a recipe I haven't made before is just silly. So I made up a cookie to use what I'd already measured out. It's pretty good. I'll start another thread.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

If you have an egg drop soup packet hanging out ... you could use that in a pinch ...

Save    
Lars

I buy Clear Jel instead of regular cornstarch, but it is not as good in soups as regular cornstarch or tapioca starch.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Houzz Call: What’s Cooking in Your Kitchen?
Most of us turn to recipes, videos and culinary shows when we cook. Where do you set your cookbook, tablet or TV screen?
Full Story
Housekeeping The Best Way to Get Your Windows Spotlessly Clean
Learn the pros’ tips and tricks for cleaning windows and getting them streak-free
Full Story
Most Popular Your Guide to 15 Popular Kitchen Countertop Materials
Get details and costs on top counter materials to help you narrow down the choices for your kitchen
Full Story