SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kidd_3333

Is it possible to patch and refinish a pre-finished Bruce floor?

Liz Court
3 years ago

We have a 17-year old Bruce pre-finished floor throughout most of our first floor. I don't know the square footage, but it's over 1,000 sf. I believe it is oak and the Gunstock color. The flooring has significant fading in some areas and there are a lot of scratches that seem to be all the way through the finish. We have 3 kids and a very large labrador puppy, so these floors are taking a beating.

We are going to remodel the kitchen and are planning to refinish or replace the floors during that process. The remodel will include the removal of a couple of partial walls as well as the removal of an area of ceramic tile near that is 6' by 10'. The areas under the walls and the tiled area will need to be replaced with wood flooring to match the rest of the first floor.

I have lived in several old homes that had the original oak floors from the 1910's or 1920's. I have seen what a good contractor can do with those floors when they needed this type of patching and refinishing. However, I have never been through that process with a pre-finished floor. Is this even possible?

I am perfectly happy with the "look" of the 2 1/4 boards, however I would prefer to stain it a darker color (possibly Minwax Special Walnut or maybe as dark as Jacobean). I know that the current trend is for a wider plank, but I'm used to 100-year-old homes so I actually love the 2 1/4 width. I do wish that the mini-bevel could be eliminated. I know that my kids and my dog are going to cause a lot of wear and tear on whatever wood floor I choose. So I am not expecting to get a picture perfect finish that will last forever.

Admittedly, I don't know much about floor installation, but I think the builder did a good job. There is no splintering. I haven't noticed a lot of gaps or creaks and we are in the midwest and have lived in the house for 6 years so I have seen plenty of seasonal cycles.

My preference would be to keep this floor and just have it repaired and refinished. I really hate the thought of throwing this much material into a landfill. The money isn't really an issue because I have the budget to do either refinish or replace. However, I don't want to refinish and go through all that aggravation to find that it looks a mess and then I have to replace it anyway!

I am going to attach a few pictures. The first is from within a heating vent on the floor where the unfinished side and thickness are visible. The second and third show some of the scratching and fading. The fourth shows a couple of the partial walls we will be removing. There are several more, but this is an example. The last picture is just a wider view of a large patch of the floor in an area where there is less fading.

So, my questions are: Is this floor worth refinishing and will it be possible to patch the areas that need it? (If so, I will begin the research into which products and process are best.) Or should I just tear it out and replace it with new? Can anyone give a good guess as to whether this is red oak or white oak or a blend? Will it take well to a darker stain?

Comments (6)