SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
apositronic_brain

Addition remodel sticker shock

Apositronic_brain
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Last year, I inherited my father's home in Idaho a 2 bedroom, 2 bath (but no ensuite) 1800 SQ foot two story with a 4 car tandem garage. The house was designed and built 10 years ago to my father's bachelor tastes and cost $150k to build back then. I had the architect who drew up the plans do a 420 sq foot master addition off the back of the house, 14x18 covered rear patio and 8x22 covered front porch.We had 4 contractors out, didn't get bids from two, and the other two came back at $156k and $152k (minus exterior paint and flooring). The 152k guy gave us a line item breakdown. The front porch was about $26k, no breakdown of the rear patio. We're talking basic T1-11 siding (8k), Moen fixtures, basically tract home grade stuff. Best we could tell would be about 100k for the master addition alone with roughed in plumbing (no vanity, toilets, faucets, etc. ) and finished electric and taped and textured drywall.At the start of the process, I asked the architect for a ballpark estimate, knowing from browsing here that architects are notoriously bad estimators. He thought 60-80k, cheaper if we designed something within the garage footprint. I wasn't expecting bids to come back at twice his high end.My heart rate jumped into the 100s with those quotes. We didn't want to sink that much into the home in addition to the improvements we already made: replacing the flooring throughout (goodbye carpet in the kitchen and bathrooms), painting the exterior, fencing the yard, replacing the fake garage door with a real one, paving the driveway, replacing the hollow core slab doors with solid core, fixing the broken windows... The list goes on.I feel naive and stupid for thinking this was feasible. Our last house before we moved into this was built new in a tract home subdivision in the same town, 1600 SQ ft 3 bed, 2 bath 3 car garage, with Hardiplank siding, 12x14 covered rear patio, quartz countertops throughout, on a quarter acre for $270k (It would be about $295k to spec the same house in that neighborhood now).How is an addition so expensive?

Comments (10)