SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurenmarie01

Kitchen layout help in oddly-shaped space

laurenmarie01
3 years ago

Getting ready to close on a new home and the first thing I really want to do is update the original kitchen. (1994) Aside from the old, sub-contractor grade cabinets and general aesthetics, the problem is that I’m not crazy about the current layout. Part of it is galley, but the rest is just broken up within the limited space. The work triangle stinks and I have to imagine there’s a better layout possible. (Plan/layout shown is the current kitchen.)

My initial idea was to open up the wall with the stove and create a big island with columns, but there’s a potential HVAC issue (return register on opposite side about 7’ up) and additional cost obviously. I was thinking of creating a big U, but it cuts off an existing walkway. (Haven’t moved in yet to know if we’d care or not.)

Things I am definitely doing:

• New laminate or LVP flooring in kitchen and lining rm
  • New counter-depth fridge (what you can’t see is that there’s a second fridge right next to it in the laundry room)
  • New stainless appliances

I’m pretty overwhelmed by all of this right now, so any and all advice would be extremely helpful! The pics attached show the current kitchen, including the current layout.

Comments (13)