SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christine_ho27

Studio flat renovation help needed (UK)

Kit Kat
3 years ago

Hi all, wonder if you can give any suggestions or advice on this rental property i have? my tenant is about to move out and i believe the flat still has it's 'original' features..hence it def needs a once over before i let it out again!

It is classed as a studio, but the bedroom has its own little section as you can see in this make shift floor plan. i unfortunately don't have the exact measurements, but the photos should give you an idea. I have also added some existing items that are in the flat at present.

Bathroom: This needs a full renovation...I was thinking tiling the floors and walls as its hardy and doesn't require maintenance. Laminate would be cheaper, but i fear that it will get ruined quite quickly as a rental. As this is a studio, i assume a single person or couple would live here, hence a shower could be more appropriate and a space saver.

Next steps was trying to work out if i should change the layout or keep it as is. Also, whether i should have a normal single shower or a double (with one shower head)? An architect friend recommended moving the shower so it spans the back of the bathroom, ie, shower in front of the window, but i'm not sure that's a good idea due to privacy and the potential build up of mould around the window. Being a rental property, the lower the maintenance required, the better i feel. Should i keep this all a generic white all over so the new tenants can give it their own personality? Space for storage is ideal.

Kitchen: I need to rip this out, but can keep the fridge (if i want) as it is fully functional. I think i need to add an extractor fan and try to maximise the amount of storage as the flat is pretty small. My initial thoughts was to also tile the floor (maybe the same tiles as the bathroom), and to partially or fully tile the walls - to keep maintenance low once again? Gas or induction hob? i've been seeing some people complaining that tenants have smashed the hobs before (i have gas, hence don't have any experience!)

Should i pick an all white kitchen or add some black in if i was to keep the fridge?

With regards to the door, i want to keep this as it's nicer to keep kitchen smells/oils away from the other rooms if anything spicy etc is being cooked.

Lounge: I will need to repaint this whole room to freshen it up. In addition, change the carpet (tiles are not allowed here due to it being a flat) and replace the radiator (do you think i should keep it in the same location or move it to another area?) for some odd reason, these flats only have one radiator and the tenant has confirmed that it seems to be enough.

The room has a nice bay window so the room gets a lot of light during the day. The current tenant had custom made cupboards for storage and TV made, and she has told me that i can keep that. (should i? or should i remove it to once again, let the tenants decide how they want to lay out this room, as i feel like there is nowhere to currently put a desk, dining table/chairs anywhere in this flat.

In addition, the grey Ikea sofa bed belongs to the flat hence can stay or be thrown out.

Bedroom: This is a very tight squeeze. The current tenant has a double bed in here and there is a really simple wardrobe space that eats into the lounge. it currently has 'curtains' covering it. Do you think i should add some sort of door to this wardrobe? sliding?

For legal reasons, i cannot add a door to this room.

Carpets, i was thinking of keeping the same carpet in the lounge and bedroom, potentially a nice grey to keep the palette neutral? (i feel creme might get dirty quite quickly). Walls painted white again?

Hallway with door to boiler

: I think the wallpaper should be stripped here and the same carpet from the bedroom/lounge continue out here? Should i keep it all white to try and keep it bright as possible?

Sorry for such a long post and thank you in advance for any advice!

Comments (8)