What's for Dinner #383

bragu_DSM 5

and ... we're off ...

SaveComment67Like
Comments (67)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sooz

It seems my salads all look quite similar when I post a photo, just like my poke bowls look alike! Oh well, they're tasty! Too hot to cook, so a salad it is! Note the happy micro greens (thanks, SD, & 2Many, too!).

4 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
neely

Looks like a delicious salad Sooz, very pleased for you that your micro greens growing is working out for you. I spy some chilli there.

Deliveries are happening Yay!!! Roast chicken, potatoes, beetroot, carrots, stuffing, onion, chicken gravy and beans.

3 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Neely you have me craving roast chicken!!!

Sooz, I love your salad!

Cooler temps today so I made bread and hamburg and hotdog buns. It was too hot to bake the past number of weeks, and I bought a loaf last week from our local bakery. It's okay, but I prefer my own bread :-)

4 Likes Save    
krystalmoon2009

Pasta salad for me and leftover pizza for DH

Save    
seagrass_gw

We're splitting a NY strip steak and a large spinach salad with red onions, candied walnuts, dried cranberries, blue cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette.

1 Like Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

3 Likes Save    
nekotish

Splitting a sockeye filet along with some vegi-centric pasta salad. I've started making pasta salad this way (this time about 2 cups of cooked orzo to about 6 cups of chopped sweet onion, tomato, cukes, peppers, celery and carrots.) Even my carb loving DH husband doesn't notice or complain that the salad is a lot more veggies than pasta. Also bought a round zucchini to slice and grill at the same time as the salmon.

1 Like Save    
Lynda R (USDA 9b, Sunset 23)

@sleevendog That tomato salad is calling to me. It looks so fresh and I love basil.....yum.

@neely Your roast chicken looks great. Definitely one of my favorite meals.

Our cucumbers are producing big time, which means it is sushi season for us. The fish market in our harbor, had local bluefin on sale. It really was the star of the show tonight, and might just have been the best sushi I have ever had. I also picked up some local yellowtail which was on sale and which we will pan fry tomorrow. I wasn't going to by anymore unknown fish, but I got tempted and the price was right.

Local bluefin tuna

Salmon was reliably good

...but this was the star.

2 Likes Save    

Yum, you rock the sushi game.

We hit a veg/crisper drawer low on Monday. A few remaining Misfits. Freezer full...actually stuffed.

Salmon and greens and grains

Then the deliveries came Tuesday-Wednesday. DH made sourdough

All about the tomato.

salad

another open faced bruschetta platter....choices, crispy salmon

Prosciutto bacon and new dressings to try

2 Likes Save    
sarahsocal

We used our first tomatoes for a burrata salad (basil for the vinaigrette was also home grown):

Followed by pizza on the grill. Still working on perfecting my pizza grilling technique as evidence by the well done portions. It was topped with fontina, mozzarella, prosciutto and arugula.

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Sleeve, I love your caprese salad! I was looking at avocados today and was wondering 'what would Sleeve do with one?' I didn't buy any. My salads are just leaves, celery, carrots onions and cherry tomatoes if I have some. Pretty boring and I'm not sure an avocado would have even perked it up.

Lynda, you're the sushi queen for sure!

Sarah, your grilled pizza looks so good! I make mine in a cast iron skillet, and I did buy a cast iron pizza pan, that I used to bake my hamburg and hotdog buns on.

I haven't had Pasta Puttanesca in a while, and I haven't had linguine in quite a while, according to the expired date on the package. Oh well, just cook it up and go with the flow. Topped with feta and chopped basil

1 Like Save    

The avocados have been so good from Misfits. Tiny and very dense/heavy for their size. The watermelons from them have been so good...

Watermelon/feta salad last night.

Save    

Another watermelon salad being so fresh good...avocado

Pesto pasta salad with lamb sausage

1 Like Save    
neely

So many great salads and your pasta looks good too Jasdip also your sushi Lynda.

Here’s another salad from me. Smoked salmon on pasta salad with leaves.

2 Likes Save    

Those dishes all look excellent @sleevendog's salads, @neely's smoked salmon salad @jadsip's basil topped pasta and @sarahsocal's arugula topped pizza.

I have nothing to post. After our sushi win, we had the yellowtail and while it wasn't a total fail, it just wasn't great either. This is the second time I have bought some other fish while I was picking up up the fish for sushi. Both times ended in disappointment, so no more.

We have had bbq tri tip the last two nights, which is reliably good, but never very photogenic.

This morning, I am making cinnamon buttermilk vanilla pancakes for my son. I never have time to make it during the week, but we enjoy making it together on the weekends. This has been a hard week for him (thus the sushi as a cheer up). His school district had announced that they would open in person in late August, for short days, staggered drop offs and reduced class sizes. He was excited to see his friends again. Then our Governor overruled the local district ordering all schools to be remote. As an only child he has had minimal contact with other kids since March, which is a lifetime when you are 11.

Save    

Burger prep. Buns in the oven. Nice salad and sides.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Ooooo, I love your watermelon salad, Sleeve!!!

Neely, I love pasta salads of all types.

I made the chicken with cherry tomatoes and cheese again tonite. It's so easy and so good. I had the rest of the pasta puttanesca with it.

1 Like Save    
sarahsocal

Wow - everyone is so much healthier than we are with all those amazing salads.

I think the fact that we can't travel (with no end in sight) is getting to me. Yesterday we apparently were channeling Germany:

Brats and beer for lunch (unfortunately you can't see the actual brat, and we settled for Belgian beer).

Schnitzel and spaezle for dinner.

Maybe Italy next. It's the best we can do.

1 Like Save    
Compumom11

Hey Sara, I'm in the SFV, where are you located? Beach Cities? Love your view! Dinner and lunch looks good too!

Save    

Smoked salmon has been missing in our covid lives. Nice meal Jas. We have been returning to favorites that are easy prep. I've picked my spot on your shady porch Sarah, 😂, as long as your are serving me.

I've been prepping early in the days to spread out the chore. Afternoon salads we snacked on. Burgers later. Blue cheese under the Burgers. Avocado, quick pickled cucumber and red onion at the table.

1 Like Save    
sarahsocal

Compumom - I am in South OC (Dana Point).

Sleeve - that burger looks amazing! We are making burgers later and now I know what I need to emulate!

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Sarah, who cares if you're eating healthy or not with that porch and view!! Wowzers!

Sausage on a bun is one of my favourites. Yum! With grilled peppers and onions, sauerkraut. Oh, I know what I'm having for dinner now! LOL

Schnitzel too is a favourite. My city has German roots and heritage and a number of clubs and restaurants serve German fare.

Sleeve your little circles and arrows to pinpoint specifics in your posts break me up every single time! Gorgeous burger, BTW.

1 Like Save    

I've had a gift card in my wallet for a few years from Eataly. A pretentious Manhattan 'food mall' via Mario and Lidia. 🙄. No expiration date so I finally used it mail-order. Would never spend 30-40 a pound for cheese,🤪, but nice to try some I would never have experienced otherwise.

We are always calm in prep, then zip-crazy for HOT food to the table asap. Fussy plating and pics get back burner attention. We do miss having friends over with multiple courses...oh well. Frustrating that we have so many choices, more than ever, and can't share with others.

Save    
sarahsocal

Thanks Jasdip. I must admit that in the world of quarantine and working from home, I certainly am lucky! I plan to be camped out on my patio in a few hours with a frosty beverage.

Sleeve - did you use the GC for the blue cheese? I have heard of Eataly but don't have one close to me. Given that it all things Italian, I am sure I would love it!

Everyone enjoy your Sunday and stay healthy.

Save    
Compumom11

Eataly is part hype, part good food. Don’t dis it totally. We have one in LA and I’ve enjoyed a nice meal in Vegas. Besides their Aperol Spritzers are yummy

Save    
Jasdip

I just finished dinner of schnitzel, potatoes mashed with soaked chopped onions, olive oil and salt (so good!) and steamed veg. The little dish of red sauce is Asian sweet chili sauce mixed with horseradish.

1 Like Save    
neely

The sweet chilli sauce mixed with horseradish sounds intriguing Jasdip. I have some of both, I’ll do a little taste test.

Sleeve your salads look as fresh and inviting as usual and that burger look yum. I always forget about watermelon in salads then when I see it, it looks so good.

Sarah social, Love your schnitzels, table settings and view... looks like a happy place.

Lynda, so sorry to hear about the effect iso is having on your 11 year old son. So sad for all of us who are missing the contact of various family members.

The following dinner is called Chairman Mao’s Pork. The difference with cooking this pork dish is that you simmer sugar in sunflower oil until it goes a brown colour, then add the pork pieces to coat. Very tricky not to burn the sugar oil mixture.. I had a bowl of cold water to dip the base of the saucepan in to stop it burning but even this wasn’t really enough as it cooks/ bubbles away all by itself. Maybe ice blocks in the water would help next time.

1 Like Save    
Islay Corbel

We had this last night. I love a recipe that allows you to put it in the oven and forget about it. Delicious.

https://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/pork-pouches-with-potatoes-peppers-onions-xoirino-kleftiko-or-exohiko/

Save    

That does look good. Jealous of your temps today...high of 60º

We will hit 95º today. No bread baking!

More salads. Lots of crisper drawer and garden choices. Picking cherry tomatoes.

Burgers again. Fennel, red onion slaw. Had planned wild mushroom baby meatballs but this was so easy.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Sleeve, lovely salads as usual, and the burger! The watermelon intrigues me, it's a lovely deep shade of red. Must be so sweet! I'm tired of buying the pale ones that are absolutely tasteless. I turned 2 into popsicles, and watermelon salad. They certainly weren't worth eating.

Sausage on a bun with fried onions and peppers, and leaves for dinner.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Haha. I bought a bag of that sweet kale mix on sale. It's close to the best before date but it's so good, I'll have no trouble using it up. Red cabbage, broccoli stalk slivers, kale, green cabbage slivers. It comes with a pouch of seeds and cranberries and a couple pouches of poppyseed dressing. I just add more romaine to it......and the crunchy topping on that Asian salad. The toasted ramen noodles, sesame seeds and almonds. I love that topping, I've been putting it on my cornflakes! So I added noodles to my shopping list to make more......it makes a yogurt container full. :-D

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Last night I had planned over meal from Sunday night. Steak, IP Steam Baked Potato, IP Green Beans, and homemade bread.

1 Like Save    

Broccoli stalk slivers, that's cool. We 'sliver' everything. No waste. So much food value in so many plants we used to toss/compost.

Spent the morning potting up Fall veg crops. They will sit in partial shade for at least 3 weeks. In 4inch pots. Then I'll start some Fall salads next week.

Almost tooo hot to care, 😂. Then here comes the thunderstorm. I do welcome the rain...put in 5 dozen bush peas seeds ahead of the rain.

I did a DIY noodle bowl last night.

2 Likes Save    
sarahsocal

Sleeve - all that produce looks amazing!

Last night was Venetian Shrimp and polenta with arugula salad:

1 Like Save    

That's it. Shrimp tonight, 😜....noodles or grits? 🤷‍♀️

Last night, salad, (duh) and mini lasagnas. Wild mushroom, lacinato kale and eggplant.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Oh my, I'll never catch up. All this good summer food, from salad to sushi, steak to sausage, schnitzel to sauerkraut, it all looks delicious!

Lynda, I feel for your boy. My grandkids are also missing their friends and social activities, sports and shopping, they even miss church services.

Here we're eating zucchini, LOL. We've had zucchini and black bean enchiladas for "meatless Monday", and I've made ratatouille with extra zucchini in place of the eggplant. I've dehydrated it sprinkled with sriracha and garlic for a seasoned "chip", and I've made pickles and relish, muffins and gratins, roasted it in the oven and sauteed it with garlic. Mother liked the muffins, although she detests zucchini. I didn't tell her there was zucchini in there, I just told her it was a chocolate muffin!

I made bulgogi with leaves from the garden for wraps, served with fresh beets, cucumber salad and green beans, all from the garden:

I made another loaf of the no knead bread:

There is some cucumber kim chee fermenting on the counter:

And this doe must know about What's for Dinner, because she's feeding her baby right outside my window:

We also had a small black bear, just a little guy, who found some chicken in the garbage and made a heckuva mess, but I wasn't fast enough with a camera to get a picture as he ran past that same window, LOL.

We've had green beans a couple of times, Mother helped me snap this batch which gave us enough for a couple of meals plus a canner full. Of course, Mother HATES both green beans and zucchini, go figure...

Elery's son and DIL came for a day with their 3 kids, so I made some BBQ'd pork ribs with Bone Sucking Sauce, green beans, french fries, mac and cheese and a big bowl of leaves with some green onions and fresh cucumber. I didn't remember to take a picture, dinner for 8 kept me busy. Jack ate 10 "bones" worth of ribs so I guess they were acceptable. He's 12.

Tomorrow I'm picking more beans, more cucumbers and more zucchini. Tomatoes and corn will be ready in a couple of weeks, I'll be ready for a change by then!

Annie

3 Likes Save    

The muffins are calling me Annie. My neighbor ruins my dinner every couple weeks with similar in my mailbox. Irresistible.

What's with the itty-bitty bean pile on your plate. 😜. I could eat the entire bowl. Half right from the garden raw. That weird earthy flavor I love.

Such a great harvest you are having!

We only have 6 zucchini plants. Huge now. I grow for the flowers to stuff.

Getting more and more....and will miss some and get zucchini-bats eventually.

Stuffed Zucchini Flowers.

Shrimp and Noodles

1 Like Save    
sarahsocal

Sleeve - is there any sort of recipe for the shrimp and noodles? Those look delicious!

Ok, so it wasn't dinner, but you all and your beautiful salads have been wearing me down. Lunch today:

Asian chicken salad. And thought you can barely tell, there IS lettuce in there! I need to make these more often as they were delicious.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Sarah, I made chicken for supper and now I think I know what's on tomorrow's menu, made with the leftovers.

Oh yeah, I agree with Sarah, that shrimp and noodles looks amazing, yum.

The beans were left overs from dinner with Elery's son and DIL and so there weren't a lot of them left, I had to share them with Elery. Mother won't eat green beans, so I just warmed up that last cup or so and Elery and I shared them and freed up that tiny bit of refrigerator space.

I did celebrate National Zucchini Day a day early. I went to the garden today and picked a dozen or so cucumbers, 5 more zucchini, maybe two quarts of green beans. I stopped to drop off an Absentee Ballot for my Aunt Ellen, who is 86, because the election is Tuesday and she won't have time to wait for it in the mail and still get it back to me. I asked if she wanted any of the garden items and she told me she wanted it all, LOL. She did say she'd share with my Aunt Donna, they are the only two remaining of Dad's siblings and their spouses. So, double bonus, I didn't have to deal with any produce, and Aunt Ellen was happy as can be.

I sauteed a head of Napa for supper and it was terrible, LOL, so we had chicken and AnnT's country biscuits. Elery and I had some leaves, Mother passed on those. (grin)

Annie

3 Likes Save    
annie1992

Nice lamp, Jasdip. Nice BLT too, I'm still waiting for my first ripe tomato...

Annie

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

I do like that lamp very much, Jasdip; great buy. And you helped me with my menu plan for the upcoming week, now have BLTs on the plan. Thank you.

Save    
Jasdip

GF and I had a lunch date today in the Mustang. Glorious day so I suggested a patio in a small town overlooking the river. I love fish and chips.......check out the size!!! Brought 1/2 the fish home, and I'm a healthy----no BIG eater!

4 Likes Save    
neely

Wow now that’s a piece of fish. I love cold fish. Also your BLT looks yummy Jasdip.

Annie the chicken and biscuits look good, shame about the Napa. I add a drizzle of soy sauce. Actually, I add a drizzle of soy sauce when I sauté ordinary cabbage as well.

Asian chicken salad looks delicious sarahsocial as does Sleevendog’s shrimp and noodles.

A few weeks ago Jasdip mention Caponata which I had forgotten about for years. Anyway made a version of it but added some chicken. We enjoyed this meal... Penne as a side.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
Jasdip

Isn't Caponata good, Neely? I just love it. I used my leftovers on pasta and it was out of this world.

My dinner consisted of the leftover fish with roasted vegetables and tomato slices.

1 Like Save    

Not quite dinner, but we had a brunch today - smoked salmon with lemon and shallots, prosciutto with provolone on crostinis, warm baguette and orange juice from our garden.

2 Likes Save    
plllog

I wish Sleevendog were making my salads. :) They’re so pretty!

I bought a duck.

My farm box service is selling ducks from a well known grower of excellent well cared for birds. It's been many years since I cooked a duck. It cost less than a chicken. I looked at a bunch of recipes for roast duck. Most were trying to make Chinese style duck. Or something precious. I love Molly Stevens braise duck legs with sour cherries, but that's not roast duck and it's a lot of work. I wasn't about to make a big mess spit roasting it. I just wanted a nice roast duck. It's a small duck--promised to be at least 4 pounds, but it had the whole neck and heart. Whatever, it was about the size of a chicken from the same grower, but with longer, skinnier wings, and shorter legs. So I decided to treat it like a chicken. I was surprised at how easy it was to cut out the spine and flatten it (I didn't cut out the sternum). Definitely a young duck. :) I think there's enough meat on the spine and neck to make a small duck stock, so I froze them (and the heart). Sliced onion and rainbow carrots in the bottom. Sweet vinaigrette, garlic pepper and fines herbs on top. All this while making dinner. The duck is going to be crunchy tacos :)

Also in my farm box were some too big green shallots. Last week they were petite. This week's bulbs were somewhere between golf ball and handball, with very tall heavy greens. The point of them is the flavor, but they were too big for raw or near raw, so I sauteed them lightly and put them with broccoli florets in a crustless quiche with really good cheddar (orange but really good) on top. The flavor of the green shallots was sweet and shallotty (whereas a lot of shallots nowadays are oniony).

Then there was coleless slaw. Broccoli stems, a big carrot, green bell pep. per, red bell pepper, a handball sized red onion, a few shishito peppers, the radishes didn't make it in, but I think I'm forgetting something. Set the grated veg to weep over the bowl and used the juice to thin mayo. Cardamom, mesquite seasoning, and "Greek" seasoning (salt, Turkish oregano, garlic, lemon, black pepper and marjoram).

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Lovely table setting Lynda. Brunches are always nice, and your sounds delicious, and I don't even like smoked salmon. I'm also assuming your fresh orange juice was just plucked from the tree. Sigh....

Pllllog I love your story. Your duck looks good, I'm looking forward to seeing the tacos. So a cole-less slaw is sans cabbage? Cole is cabbage? Once again your wealth of info is astounding.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Yum, I love roast duck. I still have two halves in the freezer, I ought to pull one out.

Jasdip, I love fish and chips. Fried and crunchy, I'd have eaten all the fish and brought the chips home! Nice car too...

"Cole" crops refer to the brassica family, things like cabbage, but my understanding is that broccoli would fall into that designation, along with things like kale and mustard greens, so the cole slaw is safe. (grin). "Cole" is apparently derived from Latin, "caulis" which actually means stalk or stem, according to Elery who actually took Latin, LOL. And I have a bunch of aspabroc in the fridge which needs to be used, so I need to do that, thanks for the reminder!

Lynda, the brunch looks delicious, and I just bought some smoked fish at the farmer's market. What was I even doing at the farmer's market? Not buying zucchini, certainly. (grin) I was looking for yellow beans for my 3 bean salad, and found some. I usually plant about 6 feet at the end of a row of green beans but couldn't find seed this spring, it was just a strange year for everything.

Neely, there's another idea for me, caponata. I have zucchini, I have fresh herbs, Elery would like it. Definitely going on the rotation.

So, I canned 3 bean salad:

It must be "fish" day, between Jasdip's fish and chips and Lynda's smoked fish. Meanwhile Elery went and bought Mother a fish sandwich at McDonald's. No tartar sauce, double cheese. (shrug) We had leaves topped with leftover air fried chicken. I didn't take pictures.

Right now Elery is making an extremely spicy vegetable chili, and I'm trying to think of something for supper, so I came here for inspiration. Mother won't eat zucchini, cabbage or broccoli, although she used to love all those things. So, what's for dinner? Darned if I know, LOL.

Election is Tuesday, so the next couple of days is going to be busy, I'll have an 18 hour day on Tuesday because Elery will have to stay with Mother and can't help, plus I've had trouble getting poll workers because of the pandemic. So, The Princess and I are going to put in a lot of hours and if she needs a break she can go sit with Mother while Elery comes up to work. That's OK, it's only one day and it won't kill me and here, people ARE going to be able to vote, if I have to stay at the hall all night. Mother is just going to have to eat her beloved KFC and McDonald's fish sandwiches and some soft taco thing from Taco Bell, it's what she likes anyway. I do have some split pea soup in the freezer, so that can be supper for her on Election Day.

Annie

4 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Annie, zucchini is terrific in caponata. I was 'tempted' to try and eat the whole darn thing, but didn't want to embarrass myself if I actually could. LOL

New recipe tonight. Rice flavoured with chicken stock, onions, turmeric, garlic, chili powder, etc. Sliced chicken, onions, peppers, onions, broccoli, then all combined.

I like leftovers, so I followed the recipe to a T. I knew there was a lot of unnecessary rice, and there is, I still have quite a bit in the pot behind the skillet.

2 Likes Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Last night cooked patty of grass fed beef and made a hamburger with all the fixings on a brioche bun and French fries. Fries cooked a little too long. It was very tasty and perfect for a Saturday night.

2 Likes Save    
Compumom11

Annie, you're the best! Really, you do what I did for many years, draft the family to help with big events. At this age, who cares what Mom eats, as long as she's eating. She's so lucky to have you!

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

Annie how about a recipe for the three bean salad?

Save    
seagrass_gw

Annie - that bean salad looks so delicious! I love yellow wax beans. They're practically non-existent in farmer's markets here. We have planted them from seed in our minuscule garden in the past. DH would harvest them a few at a time and when we had a handful would cook them to go with a meal. The last time we planted them (maybe 2 years ago) not only did the critters eat the beans but they pulled the whole plants out of the bed.

Save    

@Annie You do so much for everyone else, I hope you get some help on Tuesday.

Today was 'Viva La Fiesta' at our home. Our community (Santa Barbara) has been celebrating "Old Spanish Days" the first week in August since the 1920s. It is a 5 day celebration with parades, dancing and food. Sadly, it was not to be this year.

We had our own celebration tonight with pork carnitas, which I slow cooked all day.

1 Like Save    

Carnitas

1 Like Save    

Freshly cooked tortillas with our homegrown Mexican limes.

1 Like Save    

Tomatillo salsa - jalapeno and lime were homegrown and the rest came from the store. Our tomatillos are coming along nicely but will not be ready until later in the summer.

1 Like Save    

The finished product, paired with a top shelf margarita.

2 Likes Save    
annie1992

Well, heck, I just did an entire post, with pictures, and now it's gone. Dang it.

Bragu, it's just the recipe from the National Center for Home Food Preservation except I leave out the oil, we don't like the oil in there. I also add a tablespoon of mustard seeds, that's from the Ball Blue Book Recipe, but we do like those so I add them in. The recipe is meant for canning, so it makes a lot, but it's here: https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/bean_salad.html

Lynda, that festival looks like so much fun, I hope you get to have it next year! The carnitas look perfect.

Seagrass, I like the yellow beans too, but everyone else in the family seems to want the green ones, except in that pickled bean salad. It's handy to have on the shelf for a quick side dish.

Jasdip, I like rice a lot, so I'd love having all that leftover for my own use. Elery won't eat it because "it has too many carbs" and Mother says she HATES rice except in rice pudding. So, very little rice gets used here, unfortunately.

Walnutcreek, that really is a perfect Saturday night meal, and I like my fries crunchy, so I'd be happy with those.

Ellen, I do not hesitate to "draft" family members to help me. Bud especially likes to "babysit" with Great Grandma, with all his limitations it makes him feel helpful and I pay him so he gets a little extra pocket money, he'll be starting high school this year and a guy needs a little cash, you know? (grin)

Here I decided we needed leftovers for a couple of days, so I made chicken and dumplings for Mother:

Elery had his super spicy venison chili and I made some of Sol's zucchini pancakes to go with that, he uses them like tortillas:

I had a plate full of leaves with a hard boiled egg, I already made two meals, I wasn't making another one!

After supper I made cinnamon rolls for Mother. I made a double batch so I could take some to the hall for the election workers. I frosted them, but Mother prefers hers without frosting:

Annie

1 Like Save    
seagrass_gw

Annie - the yellow beans are so tender. I always cook them whole, not even taking the tails off because we pick them young. Or, I should say "picked". There is a pickled bean salad I love to buy when I go to Ohio to see my mom. Made by Paisley Farms in Willoughby where I lived when I was young. It's a 4 bean salad that includes garbanzos.

Save    
plllog

Annie, I never thought of that! Thanks for the work around. :)

Jasdip, coleslaw comes from the Dutch, as a compound word, literally meaning "cabbage salad" (I'm not sure if the word that developed into kool (cabbage in Dutch, a Germanic language) came from the Latin ( the original Romance), or if both came alongside each other from a prior Indoeurpean source. The double "oo" in Dutch is literally a long "o" in that you can kind of hear two "o's" pronounced, sounding more like our long "o" but with a little of our "u" sound written "oo". In trying to find out, just now, I ran across a derivation that said after the English had borrowed the Dutch word, they started saying "cold slaw" and then recorrected it to cole based on the Latin. That wasn't a sourced reference, however, though it sounds quite plausible, and it's all probably a lot more than you wanted to know. ;)

Today, I was trying to make another special dinner for my mother. I was going to take some of the slaw, but forgot. :) It wasn't missed.

The star was her recipe for "chickie loaf", which she'd been saying she was missing. I couldn't get chicken or turkey Italian sausage, however, and used pork. I could tell the difference because I knew it was there--it was subtle--and in all it tasted like chickie loaf.

She'd also been asking to try my sourdough, so I made crostini with roasted eggplant salad (with lots of lemon juice, plus a many aliums seasoning blend). I was going to top with fioretto cauliflower (broccoli-cauliflower cross). I grilled them, and the color came up on the green, but it was too chew-worthy for the crostini, so I put them around the outside of the plate, with the toasts in the middle. Very pretty, assemble how you will.

Mother really loved the zucchini pickles I made from the same recipe, with red bell pepper, red onion and shishto peppers, as I posted awhile ago. Just done this afternoon--I guess this is what's meant by "quick pickle"? She really liked the crispness as well as the flavor.

Dessert was finger limes and the chocolate butterscotch almond cookies I invented. I was going to make strawberry cake, which she really likes, but would have been rushing like mad and was too tired. She's not a big chocolate fan. But did save the last cookie for later. ;)

Tomorrow, it's back to salads and popsicles. And the duck tacos if I have the energy. :)

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Plllog, I had also heard that it was a derivation of "cold" slaw, because it's made with vegetables that grow well in cool weather. At least that's what Grandma told me. We were having a Johnny Cake/Journey Cake discussion and it wandered off into names for foods, like Shoo Fly Pie and cobblers/grunts.

Seagrass, that recipe for 3 bean salad is actually "pickled bean salad" and the original recipe has garbanzo beans in it. I have a couple of family members who don't like them, so I leave them out. I ought to put them in and just let everyone pick out what they don't like!

Annie

1 Like Save    
plllog

That's a great folk derivation, Annie!

My mother used to make a pickled bean salad, which had way too much vinegar (vinegar makes me cough uncontrollably), but I'd pick out the garbanzo beans, which don't absorb much. They were awesome. :) If you put them in, you might have a taker!

1 Like Save    

I'm seeing lots of chips/fries. The ultimate in comfort food.

Prepping for the tropical storm tomorrow. They don't think it will weaken much. If we loose power we will have, drum roll,....salads. Thai Chicken salad, grain/bean salad, Potato. Soaking some garbanzos. Making a kimchi/sesame slaw. Charcuterie options. Prepping sourdough to bake in the morning.

We can cook having a transfer switch but may not feel like it. Many freezer options.

We had a giant pork shoulder BoSaam. Two nights in row having made so many sides/toppings. Three nice packs in the freezer.

Stuffed zucchini flowers every couple days.

Disaster trying to make pickled/marinated eggs, 😂😜

Made a nice egg salad using an iced teaspoon to scoop. (I tried three times using three different methods), Steam, boil, ice bath....etc

1 Like Save    

Last night was DosPerros. (Braised chicken thighs). And a nice salad.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Beautiful carnitas, Lynda!! I've made tortillas too......so easy, and taste so good!

Annie, chicken and dumplings! Yum! And you make the dumplings like; the big fluffy ones. Noodles aren't dumplings, in my mind.

Plllog interesting broccoli/cauliflower hybrid.

Sleeve.....oh no!! All those eggs!!! I hate making boiled eggs, it's always a mystery if they'll turn out, and I love hard-boiled eggs in a salad.

Tonight's dinner is not a keeper.

Back when all the stores still had flyers, one of our national grocers would publish a recipe in the flyer. I've had this to try for a while......browned chicken then braised in the oven with a honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, lemon mixture. Everything I love. Meh, not worth putting in my binder. But the crashed potatoes are always good!!! LOL

1 Like Save    
neely

So many great meals and photos since I was here last.

Back to a more traditional dinner. Lamb chops, veg, cauliflower cheese and those peculiar stuffing ball things are my version of a biscuit without the layers. I can’t get potatoes so made these as a carb substitute.... were just OK.

Mint jelly from a jar.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular The Not Naturally Organized Parent's Guide to the Holidays
This year get real about what you can and cannot handle, and remember the joys of spending time with the ones you love
Full Story
Furniture 10 Reasons to Love Big, Comfy Sectionals
With their soft lines, visual heft and casual versatility, modular sofas are a great choice for many rooms
Full Story
Most Popular 7 Ways Cats Help You Decorate
Furry felines add to our decor in so many ways. These just scratch the surface
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Silver general contracting LLC specializes in bathroom and kitchen remodeling while being experienced in all home... Read More