SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esand323

Can I use weed-b-gon or a similar product around ornamental grasses?

Eric
3 years ago

Hi all,

I've posted in regards to my ornamental grasses before, but I'm desperately losing the battle in keeping them nice and well maintained. I've been in the house two years now and each year they are looking progressively worse. They looked very full, lush, and tall when we moved in 2 years ago. Now they are small and getting overran with weeds. We have weeds growing all around them and and weeds growing inside grasses. We also have tree seedlings in there that are very very difficult to remove. Majority of them I can't remove and just have to cut down.

I did talk to the previous owners about this a year ago and they mentioned that they used a weed whacker around the plants and used weed-b-gon around the ornamental grasses and in the middle/center of the ornamental grasses. They said to not use round up though. Seems like Weed-b-Gon will kill the grasses though as well. Think it is safe to use? The previous owners didn't mention anything else that they did. I did find quite a bit of plant fertilizer and food in the garage. So I don't know if they may have been using that.

Lastly, in one last ditch effort, when I cut the grasses back this fall, I'm planning to put mulch all around the grasses to suppress the weeds. I don't believe the previous owners ever really did that. It wont' fix the weeds/tree seedlings inside the grasses, but it should help outside the grasses. Should I also put preen down before I do that? I'm just worried about ran and preen getting into the grasses and then they don't grow.

Comments (9)