SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
csummersall

Staining vintage 5-panel interior doors black? Yay or nay?

csummersall
3 years ago

Our home is a small 650 sq ft condo on the third floor of an old brick rowhome. We just finished a pretty "modern" kitchen remodel and are now trying to bring back some character to the rest of the space.

I recently salvaged three 5 panel interior doors that I believe are fir. My first thought was to strip the grimy old finish off and leave the wood bare, but after stripping I realized the wood is incredibly orange and just too "farmhouse" for our space. Painting them white seems a bit boring, so I've been considering staining them charcoal. I figure the beautiful grain would still show through, and the dark color would bring some depth to our space and ground the high ceilings a bit.

Our decor is mostly white, with sage green and charcoal accents. Our walls are being painted white and the trim is also white. So I don't think it would clash in any way.

Everyone I have mentioned this to thinks I am absolutely insane for wanting such dark doors in such a small space, especially when the doors are 100+ years old and technically beautiful as they are.

Has anyone done this and liked how it turned out?

Comments (12)