SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevesdigits

What Veggie is Doing Well/Not so Well?

digit (ID/WA, border)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

If I had a drone to take a picture, it would make things more clear. -- I did take a photo of some problems & goodness a week ago but the camera was so close to the ground and the 3 rows are across about 20 feet of ground, so depth perception is really off. Some plants are doing well, others not.

Things are looking better out there right now but, standing in a "vining veggie patch," it's easy to see the difference between the melons, pumpkins and squash. The cucumbers are elsewhere and are coming along but not all that much ahead of the melons. (Now the cucamelons ... well, they are elsewhere also and nearly inconspicuous in their growth but ... they may do okay and are mostly for fun, anyway. ;o)

I had the melons in the foreground. Last year, my Goddess cantaloupe died in the up-&-down spring temperatures. That was the first time in the 4 -5 years that I lost them. The 2020 Goddess and the Passport galia melons are doing so-so and better now but the little things have been struggling. In the middle are summer squash (Butterbelly) and a couple of Cinnamon Girl pie pumpkins. The Butterbelly are doing fine and lots of fruits are developing on this bush type. This is a new variety for me and free seed (with a terrible name! :o(. The Cinnamon Girls are also new-to-me and I'm excited to see how this bush-type pumpkin does, how well it matures, what its keeping qualities are, AND how good it is in pie! They look fine but aren't flowering yet.

In the distant row are BIG, robust Jack-o'lantern pumpkins and a hybrid La Madera winter squash. I say hybrid because this heirloom promptly and obviously crossed with my usual Buttercup or Kabocha squash the first year I grew it. I had it back a 2nd year and they were quite a mix, altho just fine as winter squash. Now, there is one robust plant and it's growing all-over-the-place! The Rock Star pumpkins are doing okay competing with it but it's rather amazing. I hope it produces something other than vines!

I should say that the Buttercup and Cha Cha Kabocha are at the other end of the garden and doing well. Right now, they are being protected from the wind by a trellis covered with peas. I think that makes an important difference for these vining guys and likely one reason the melons are struggling again, out more in the open! These ground huggers would appreciate some protection from the wind. It doesn't explain that La Madera X but I'm beginning to come around to this notion. Next year --- an 8' stone wall is going up on the windy side of the garden!

Kidding. How are things looking with your veggie crops?

Steve

Comments (13)