SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimhaber1

Stumped choosing plants in front of my retaining wall!!!!

kimhaber1
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to make decisions about the two small beds in front of my retaining wall for quite awhile and I just can't seem to do it. What you see in the pictures is my start...but I'm only happy with a bit of it.

On the left side, I moved the Nandinas to the far left and made them a group as they were originally spaced out on the right side. I like the grouping and their height helps soften the harsh transition from my neighbors wall to mine. I really don't want to hide the retaining wall too much as it's the only part of the original landscape I picked and I do like it.

I want to remove and replace the Campanula Bellflower ground cover on the left. I don't see purple in my color scheme (I should also relocate the row of Liriope Big Blue I just planted to my backyard..ugh). Plus, I don't think the campanula is doing anything for the rock....but I have no idea what to use.

On the right side, I relocated and made the grouping of lilies as they were also spread out and randomly placed on both sides.

I'm not liking my Barberry Concorde in a row and I really don't know why I put creeping Juniper where I did (Wiltonii) and I am happy to take it out. I feel like I should take out the Juniper, and then make groupings with the Barberry, the Dwarf Mugo Pines (maybe add a third), and whatever else could fill out that side. I was thinking about Hakone Grass Aureola.

I put some Wooly Thyme behind the rock on the right. I guess I thought it would eventually spread and soften/complement the stone.

I welcome any thoughts, ideas or criticisms you might be willing to share.

Kim

Comments (11)