SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

Shingrix Side Effects vs COVID Symptoms

bbstx
3 years ago

Well, I had a very interesting night. Too interesting. After I went to sleep, I woke up with chills and couldn’t stop shivering. I put on a sweater, polartec socks, and added a down throw to my covers, and I was still shivering. I had a sore throat. Every bone in my body ached. I had a runny nose. I had a horrible headache; still do. I had about half of the COVID-19 symptoms except no shortness of breath, no loss of taste or smell, and no chest pressure. No fever. Then I looked up side effects of the Shingrix booster that I had yesterday. They are almost the same as COVID 19 symptoms. Using the principle of Occam’s Razor, I believe it is Shingrix side effects not COVID. Nevertheless, I made DH go sleep in the guest room. I’m almost certain I did not have any side effects with the first Shingrix shot, but I have them in spades this time! I'm feeling much better except I still have a headache and my body still aches.

If you are one of the folks who had side effects from the Shingrix shot and I pooh-poohed you, please accept my abject apologies. In the words of Maude:

Comments (38)

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

Oh, no! I hope you feel better soon.

I have not had the vaccine, but discussed with my doctor over a year ago. She said flu-like symptoms often occur and to not get before a planned vacation or function. I not ask if it was each time, but that's what I took it to mean.

bbstx thanked Allison0704
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Allison, I would strongly encourage you to find some time to have the Shingrix shot. Even knowing that the side effects are unpleasant for some, they are short lived. I’m feeling much better this morning and as the morning wears on, the side effects are diminishing.

• Related Discussions

Shingrix

Q

Comments (25)
    I still don't feel 100% this morning, and the area is still warm to the touch and sore. Notice some aches and pains too but I don't know if it's related to the shot or the mowing I did when I came home from the pharmacy. Maybe that wasn't a good idea, should have just relaxed and stayed quiet. Chi, there was a different pharmacist at CVS who was looking up my insurance coverage and I asked her if she was the one who would be giving me the shot. She said, "Oh no! I've never had measles and I can't even be around the vaccine for fear of getting shingles!". I didn't ask which part of Medicare covered the shot, but I have Part D and Part F which is a supplemental insurance. I wonder if that's what helped pay for it.
    ...See More

Did you experience any side effects after the Shingrix vaccine?

Q

Comments (312)
    Yay! Glad you are getting the second shot. And always good to be prepared for feeling a little down a day or two after a vaccine if you can. After a strong response to the first, my second was nothing unusual (little arm soreness? I remember the first -- not the second. LOL). I hope you have the same. I strongly encourage anyone who has reservations about a second shot to get it. My feeling is that if you had a strong reaction, you are EXACTLY who benefits most from and may need the vaccine, including the second dose, the most. If you still had a strong immunity to the virus and were likely to hold the virus at bay over the years, it doesn't seem your body would have such a strong response. Seeing my husband's pain for months and my cousin worrying about her husband possibly going blind was enough for me. I'll get a third shot if they ever decide it is needed....
    ...See More

Shingles vaccine side effects

Q

Comments (35)
    Marlene, I'm sorry you had such a bad reaction to the shot, but it does make me feel a little less of a freak. I haven't heard the shingles pain described that quite way, but my dad was a tough one and to complain about the pain was notable. Still, I assumed it was because of the open wounds on the skin. It wasn't until DH had it that we both realized the real pain is a deep nerve pain -- something unlike anything we normally experience. DH had some reoccurrence in his back and shoulder and used a TENS unit that seemed to help. The pain I had in my arm more than a week or two after the shot (when the redness and swelling had gone down) was very deep. Gave me some appreciation for what DH had been dealing with. Pudgeder, good thing you got the Shingrix when you did! Bbstx, your neighbor's experience is a scary one. My cousin's husband had it get to his eyes but not in them -- that was the first time I'd hear that shingles could cause blindness. Scary stuff.
    ...See More

Any side effects from your COVID vaccine?

Q

Comments (27)
    The first shot I had sore injection site, my hip hurt, and swollen lymph nodes for a day. The second shot no swollen lymph nodes, but I ached all over for two days. But I have reactions to everything I take. Several other co-workers had NO reactions either time. Most people feel few side effects. A small percentage do. I would do it all over again if it means a lesser, or non, reaction to getting COVID. A temporary pain for long term protection!!! PSA: do NOT take pain medication before this vaccine. After is ok. It's common practice for other vaccines, but not for this one. Several sites will give you the information, but here's one link (https://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-2021/pain-relievers-covid-vaccine.html) I work in medical research.
    ...See More
  • jb1586
    3 years ago

Glad you are feeling better. The Shingrix vaccine made me feel awful for a couple of days after, but not with congestion, just terrible body aches. It is definitely worth the suffering, to get immunity to shingles.

bbstx thanked jb1586
  • User
    3 years ago

I'm glad you are feeling better. Keep monitoring yourself for further symptoms, of course, and take good care!

bbstx thanked User
  • 3katz4me
    3 years ago

Thanks for posting this. I have been thinking about this very thing as I ponder when to schedule my shingles vaccine.

bbstx thanked 3katz4me
  • OllieJane
    3 years ago

I'm always confused about shingles and chicken pox. If you have never had chicken pox, you probably won't get shingles? Or, the other way around? Maybe I have just made that up in my mind LOL. I am getting to the age that I need to worry about shingles, but I have never had chicken pox.

bbstx thanked OllieJane
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Olliesmom, even if you haven’t had chicken pox, could you get them? Sounds like a discussion for you and your doctor.

• OllieJane
    3 years ago

Yes, I go in this week, I think it's time for me to ask.

bbstx thanked OllieJane
  • terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

From this article

Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you've had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in nerve tissue near your spinal cord and brain. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles.

bbstx thanked terezosa / terriks
  • Allison0704
    3 years ago

Yes, I plan on discussing with her again.

I've had Shingles, once. It wasn't super bad. Uncomfortable, for sure. No lingers pains or tingles. I keep an RX on hand, just in case. Some say it's like poison ivy - the tone of your first outbreak sets the pace for future outbreaks. I can say that's true in my father's cases of Shingles, and poison ivy for me.

bbstx thanked Allison0704
  • 3katz4me
    3 years ago

You can’t get it if you haven’t had chicken pox. I too thought I’d never had chicken pox so got tested for the antibodies before I went for the vaccine. I had in fact had chicken pox - apparently mild/asymptomatic. I plan to have the vaccine just want to pick a good time when I can suffer the after effects. DH had shingles on his facial nerve - took them a while to diagnose as nothing was visible externally. He had Bell’s palsy and a severe headache that resulted in a neurosurgeon consult for potential brain tumor. Fortunately at that appt tiny blisters were detected on his ear and they realized it was shingles. He recovered though probably has some permanent mild impact on equilibrium.

bbstx thanked 3katz4me
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My sister has shingles from time to time. Same two spots every time. Hers is stress induced. It started in college. She’s a perfectionist who was in a very rigorous degree program. She’s been out of college for 30 years and still get flares from time to time. Unfortunately, she has other health problems that prevent her from getting the shingles vaccine.

Mom had her first outbreak of shingles in her late 80s. It was mostly confined to her scalp but her doctors were afraid it might spread to her ears and eyes. Fortunately, it didn’t.

Just did a quick Google search about chickenpox and shingles. I read that if you’ve ever had the chickenpox vaccine, you have the same risk for shingles as if you had had chicken pox. I think it was on the Cleveland Clinic website. I try to avoid websites like “Joe’s Medical School and Steak House.”

I’m not miserable right now, but I’m not ready to get up and run a race either. I have about 1/2 degree of fever; I have a bit of a headache (more annoyance than anything); my joints are a tiny bit achy. Tylenol seems to mitigate most of the issues. I can taste and smell food, but I’m just not hungry. Mostly eating saltines and drinking real Coke - my traditional “sick” food. Nevertheless, for me it is worth it to avoid worse down the road.

• pudgeder
    3 years ago

First time I got shingles it was a little blister on my abdomen in the same spot. Didn't hurt unless my pants rubbed it. I had no idea what it was.

So I ignored it. It didn't spread and it went away.

Then sometime later, same scenario.

About the third time, I had the blister on one side and then red streaks on the OTHER side. Then it hurt. Then I went to the doctor for diagnoses and got an RX. Every time I'd get over them long enough to get the shot, I'd break out again.

Finally last year, I was able to have the Shingrix shot. Fortunately I didn't have any side effects. (other than a sore spot on where the injection was) 2nd shot was in December.

In March, I had another case of shingles. Although, it was mild. And an RX took care of it.

So even if you get the shot, you can get shingles again. However, from what the PA and the Pharmacist said, it's not supposed to be anywhere near as bad of an outbreak.

bbstx -- hope you're feeling better!

bbstx thanked pudgeder
  • Rory (Zone 6b)
    3 years ago

I am supposed to get my 2nd shot this week. I only had a sore arm with the 1st shot. I hope the 2nd shot is the same as the 1st. I took 3 Advil before the 1st shot and drank a lot of water because I heard that some people have flu-like reaction.

I had a year-long side affect from the live Typhoid vaccine but I am still a firm believer in vaccines.

I hope you feel better soon!!

bbstx thanked Rory (Zone 6b)
  • nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Bbstx, glad you’re feeling better.

Allison and others, please get the shingrix shot. You don’t want to get shingles. It’s the worst thing that ever happened to me, healthwise. And the Aftereffects still linger.

bbstx thanked nutsaboutplants
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

My dad has had shingles twice. First time was very mild. He was smart and realized pretty quick what it must be and was on the anti-viral within about 24-36 hours. Second time was much, much worse. It was just this past year and of course he is older. The rash runs along a nerve path and his started at the top of his butt crack (sorry LOL!) went over his hip and down in the groin. This time he kept having groin and hip pain and had no clue it was shingles as he has had one hip replacement and has trouble with the other hip. So he had several days of that pain before he had any rash. This time he not only had alot of pain, but he felt awful. It was pitiful. :(

My MIL had shingles several years ago - INTERNAL. Let that sink in. I have never heard of another person having internal shingles. She was absolutely miserable. Had days of sore throat so bad she couldn't eat. First trip to ER (dehydration) she was diagnosed with thrush. Second time her white count was up so they admitted her. Had no clue was was going on and put her on anti-viral, antibiotics, etc. She was in the hospital 5 days I think - and lost 13 pounds in that 5 days. Finally she had a little blister on one finger. ONE BLISTER, but thankfully one of the doctors saw it and they were able to diagnose her.

I've had chickenpox, the Mr. hasn't.

bbstx thanked Tina Marie
  • Joaniepoanie
    3 years ago

I got the second dose Shingrix ten days ago. Both times a quarter size red, hardened area around the injection site and a mildly sore arm for a few days.

About five years ago two of my kids, in their twenties at the time, both got shingles around the same time and they lived in different states. Weird. Both were relatively mild cases on their torsos.

bbstx thanked Joaniepoanie
  • hcbm
    3 years ago

bbstx- This new Shingles vaccine is different than the old on, it is dead virus not live. I have a loved one who has several serious health conditions including cancer and was able to take the new vaccine. They were unable to take the old one.

One of the more serious outcomes of Shingles is blindness. I think a few uncomfortable side affect days is worth avoiding that. I was pretty sick the second time, but it was over in three days and I know I am protected.

bbstx thanked hcbm
  • roarah
    3 years ago

I have had shingles three times before I was fifty. My strokes were most likely influenced by my shingle infection. Shingles in fact is linked to higher incident of stroke and heart attacks in many patients. Get your vacines if it is available in your area.

bbstx thanked roarah
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m feeling much better now. Still a little headachey and a few not very achy joints, but things are definitely going in the right direction. Alternating Tylenol and Advil seems to help (Tylenol then 4 hours later Advil then 4 hours later Tylenol, etc). Watched Quartet on Netflix then napped this afternoon.

I am semi-chronicling this to convince others that the side effects are a mild annoyance but not that bad. Certainly not bad enough to avoid getting the immunization. I suspect many of you would power through what I’ve been feeling. It’s hot and I really have no other demands right now, so I’m indulging myself.

If anyone is looking for a sweet story, consider Quartet. Maggie Smith, Tom Courtenay, Billy Connolly (who perfectly plays a dirty old man), and Pauline Collins, directed by Dustin Hoffman. Be sure to watch the credits at the end. Most of minor cast members had some connection to music in their younger years. Blurb from one review: Director Dustin Hoffman does a good job of highlighting the many charms and talents of his esteemed cast, from Dame Maggie down to the various supporting actors who really are retired musicians.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

I am so glad you are feeling better. Thank you for the PSA. I am overdue for this vaccine.

bbstx thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • blfenton
    3 years ago

With my first shot I had no reaction at all. With the second, I felt as though I had been hit by a truck. Headache, fever, sore muscles and I couldn't tolerate light or sound for 24 hours.

At one time pharmacists were collecting information about side effects or at least ours was and so people were letting them know.

I'm glad that you're starting to feel better.

bbstx thanked blfenton
  • lascatx
    3 years ago

Glad you are feeling better. I had flu-like symptoms too -- they faded after the first day but took most of a week to go completely away, so take it easy another day or two if you can. My swollen angry red arm was my main complaint and that had a hint of the nerve pain that comes with shingles, so I was very glad to have the vaccine and not a full blown case. While it is so worth it, especially with a vaccine that actually helps prevent outbreaks not just diminish severity, anything out of kilter makes you think twice during a pandemic. Even my son cutting his finger -- he came over for help bandaging it up and I think would have rather me stapled it shut than be told he needed to go get stitches. Fortunately neither were needed. I'ts a crazy time in so many ways. Stay healthy!

bbstx thanked lascatx
  • ratherbesewing
    3 years ago

I posted about this vaccine sometime in June. I was seriously under the weather for a few days and this was my FIRST shot! The swollen arm lasted a week. I am not looking forward to my second shot ....It’s amazing to me that some people don’t have any reaction. What’s with that?

For those of you who still need the shot, I called various drug stores to find out their supply. Last year, my DH was on a list for 9 months waiting for his dose due to the vaccine shortage. Some doctor’s office carry the vaccine, while other’s don’t.

bbstx thanked ratherbesewing
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Back to mostly feeling like myself this morning! No headache, no achy joints, no fever. My arm is sore but no more than with any injection. I forget from time to time that injections will leave your arm sore for several days. However, last night I was able to sleep on the side where I got the shot. When I had the TDaP just before the twins were born, I don’t think I was able to sleep on the side of the injection for a week!

I generally get all my immunizations at the pharmacy. It is so much easier and so much quicker than sitting in a doctor’s waiting room for an hour being exposed to heaven only knows what. Ratherbesewing, Shingrix was in high demand for a while making it hard to find. I think that has eased up somewhat. Nevertheless, it never hurts to call ahead to make sure your pharmacy has the particular vaccine available.

Bottom line on Shingrix: I had about 24 hours of feeling crummy. Was it unbearable? No. Knowing what I know now, would I do it again? Compared to how awful shingles can be, A.B.S.O.L.U.T.E.L.Y!!

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Bbstx, I had a very similar reaction to the Shingrix vaccine a little over a year ago. The only difference was no runny nose or sore throat. Of course we had no pandemic then but I thought it was a late season flu hitting until I read about the after effects of the shot. Worst chills I have ever had, and I too got up and put on socks and more clothes. I felt really wrung out the next day for a few hours but otherwise was ok. Compared to getting shingles, I would still opt for a few hours of discomfort.

bbstx thanked OutsidePlaying
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Playing, it is likely that my sore throat and runny nose were caused by allergies that coincidentally popped up at the same time. Our pollen index is high and the landscape crew had just cut the grass on Friday.

• ladypat1
    3 years ago

Shingles shots for me was only sore red arm. Nothing else. Surprised me because I am one who gets chills and aches form flu shots each year. Mild, but present.

bbstx thanked ladypat1
  • lascatx
    3 years ago

Ratherbesewing, it seems like most people have a mild reaction to one dose or the other, but few more than bbstx described and many less. I can't think of anyone I know of who has talked about having a significant reaction to both doses. I had a very strong reaction to the first dose and next to nothing with the second -- just the slightest soreness at the injection site. I would try to have a clear calendar the day after and have some tylenol, motrin or aleve on hand, but I wouldn't be concerned beyond that. You probably have the worst of anything already behind you.

bbstx thanked lascatx
  • Bluebell66
    3 years ago

Well, that's unsettling! So glad you are feeling better! I am due for my second Shingrix vaccine but our local pharmacies won't give them right now because they say it depresses the immune system, which then makes it easier to possibly get COVID. And my doctor's office won't make an appointment for "just" the vaccine right now. So I'm in limbo for the time being, but the Costco pharmacist told me I can get the second vaccine any time within a year from the first one, so I've got until mid-January to get it done.

bbstx thanked Bluebell66
  • Irish2
    3 years ago

I had both shots last year without any side effects except sore left arm that for 3 days.

with initial injection. DH just got his this year and was having an issue trying to get 2nd shot. CVS was not administering for a while due to symptoms mimic COVID-19. He‘s all set now . SIL (54) just getting over Shingles

that she had on left side of head in scalp and down to her eye. She said it is worse pain she has ever experienced . ( no babies)

bbstx thanked Irish2
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Glad you are feeling better BB!!

bbstx thanked Tina Marie
  • westsider40
    3 years ago

I glad it’s over or almost over and you are protected. And feeling better. And thanks for telling us.

bbstx thanked westsider40
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The Immunization Action Coalition which works in conjunction with the CDC to promote immunizations has this to say about Shingrix during the time of COVID

• PRO
    MDLN
    3 years ago

Repeating...

"Should I defer Shingrix vaccination because such a reaction might be confused with COVID-19?

NO. If you have an opportunity to vaccinate a patient age 50 years or older who is due for dose 1 or dose 2 of Shingrix, proceed with vaccination as usual.

It is important to counsel the patient about the risk of self-limited side effects, including local reactions, such as redness, pain, or swelling at the injection site, and systemic reactions, which include fever, chills, headache, and body aches. If they occur, such side effects normally resolve within 72 hours after vaccination.

Because of concerns about COVID-19, if a vaccine recipient develops fever after vaccination, they should stay home until it resolves.

Shingrix vaccination does NOT cause respiratory symptoms common in COVID-19, such as cough or shortness of breath. If the vaccine recipient develops new symptoms of cough or shortness of breath, or if fever does not resolve within 72 hours of vaccination, the recipient should contact their healthcare provider."

bbstx thanked MDLN
  • Bluebell66
    3 years ago

Thank you bbstx and mdln. I’m going to ask again.

bbstx thanked Bluebell66
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I checked with a hospital pharmacist who has access to myriad professional resources. He could find no evidence or mention of Shingrix causing immune suppression. Shingrix is approved for use in immuno-compromised patients which argues against it depressing the immune system.