SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ratherbesewing

Shingles vaccine side effects

ratherbesewing
3 years ago

Ugh. Besides my arm hurting, I have body aches and general flu symptoms. Hoping when I have to get the second dose, I don’t go through this ordeal again. The GOOD news is that vaccine shortages that were reported earlier are now over ( my DH was on a waiting list for 8 months). From what I have read, not everyone has side effects (why?) from this vaccine. How did you react ?

Comments (35)

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Haven't had it yet, need to check and see if its available again here. My dad just had shingles (AGAIN) in March. After watching his ordeal, I will take the side effects. Feel better!

• czarinalex
    3 years ago

I had arm ache and flu symptoms from 1st shot. Lasted a day or two. Second shot(6 months later) wasn't as bad. Just a general malaise lasting a day. Luckily, I didn't have anything scheduled for the next day after either shot.

• Related Discussions

Bordatella Vaccine side effects

Q

Comments (3)
    Any time any pet is in respiratory distress (wheezing, sneezing, etc) it warrants an immediate trip to the vet no matter what the cause. Vaccine reactions, dusty litter, asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, etc can all be fatal without veterinary care. If she is still wheezing, please take her to the nearest emergency clinic immediately for treatment. I hope she is OK.
    ...See More

The new Shingles Vaccine

Q

Comments (85)
    Maybe that explains why I haven't gotten a reminder about getting the second shot yet. I'm planning on waiting a bit anyway based on the reaction I got to the first one. I don't know anyone who got anything like that or what explains it. I want to talk to my doctor about it before having the second one. I hope they get the supply up for those who want the first shot and the ones who need the second one. I don't want to start over and get a third one -- assuming that's what they would do.
    ...See More

Anyone remember a gift wrapping discussion?

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks for the head's up, ratherbesewing. I've tentatively booked the 2nd dose for a long weekend in October b/c I don't know if I'll be able to take time off if I'm sick with things so crazy due to covid. Hate to possibly ruin a long weekend, but we've always had trouble getting substitute teachers in for us when we are sick and now, who knows. Most of our subs are retired teachers and I'm pretty sure most of them are not coming in until things settle down. mimou, thank you so much for finding that link. My DD is heading back to school across country next month (against our counsel, but what can you do) and I'm going to need that link anyways even if I missed out on it this time.
    ...See More

COVID vaccines and shingles

Q

Comments (25)
    <There are reports of skin reactions over arms, trunk, abdomen, also showing up about 5-7 days; however, not published yet.> I had this reaction, including rashes on the tops of my feet, and they showed up about 3-5 days after my vaccination and lasted more than two weeks before subsiding. I mentioned this to the technician when I got my second shot, and she told me that this is a common reaction and that I should wait 30 minutes instead of 15 minutes after my shot before leaving the building. After my second shot, the rashes have gotten worse again, but not as bad as with the first round. I was told to take Benedryl for the rash. At first she told me to take Claritin, but I told her that I have an allergy to that. If I take Claritin for 5 days straight, I develop schizophrenic symptoms, with what would be paranoid delusions, except that I recognize them as delusions brought on by something I have taken. I get the same reaction to Erythromycin, and so I do not take that either.
    ...See More
  • maire_cate
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I had my first injection over a year ago and the day after I felt wiped out, had a sore arm, spent the day on the couch and even took a long nap. Four months later I had the second injection had less of an impact plus I knew what to expect.

• Arapaho-Rd
    3 years ago

My Dr just told me I need to get it (even tho I had orig vaccine). Warned me of side effects which she said are normal due to immune response. Hope you feel better soon.

• sas95
    3 years ago

My first shot I had a really sore arm for days. The second time a sore arm for one day only. My husband experienced a sore arm the first time and mild flu-like symptoms the second.

• jojoco
    3 years ago

I had my second one about a week and a half ago. I had a really sore arm and a low grade headache for a few days. And a general achy feeling. But no fever or chills. It went away after a few days, but my arm felt sore for a solid week.

• blfenton
    3 years ago

The first shot for me was fine - not even a sore arm but the second one, OMG, I thought I had been hit by a truck. I couldn't have the lights on, noise bothered me, everything hurt for 24 hours.

My DH sailed through both.

• dedtired
    3 years ago

I’ve haven’t had the newest one yet. I did notice I have injection scars on my upper arms. Did anyone else notice this from the shingles or flu shots?

• jb1586
    3 years ago

I agree with blfenton—the first shingles shot wasn great, but the second one knocked both my husband and me out for a couple of days. Haven’t noticed any scarring, dedtired.

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Trust me, the side effects of the vaccine are nothing compared to the monster that’s shingles.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

It seems that many people have a reaction to. either the first or the second shot, but usually not both. My husband had the first vaccine, then got shingles before getting Shingrix. He was tired and didn't. feel well the next day and had a little soreness on his arm then nothing with the second shot. I had one of the strongest reactions I've heard of -- my arm was red and swollen for over a week and not completely normal for about a month or more as I recall. Still had a little soreness from time to time after that but it did fade over 2-3 months. I also felt a bit flu like the day after the shot and a little of that lingered for about a week. The vaccine supply meant I had to wait more than the minimum time for the second dose and I let it go a little longer because of the strong reaction, but I had no problems at all with the second dose. Even if I had, I have to agree that having seen shingles with my husband and two other family members, I'd rather have that kind of reaction with the second shot and even a third than go through shingles.

The good news is Shingrix really means you have aa better chance of avoiding shingles altogether. The old vaccine apparently prevented shingles entirely in only 10% or so of the folks who got it. The main reason it was used was that it was effective in reducing the severity of cases for most folks. My husband's case was considered mild after having the vaccine and I thought it was bad enough. Shingrix is over 90% effective -- I think it might be as high as 97-98% and they dropped the suggested age for it. I am relieved not to worry about shingles now.

• lonestar123
    3 years ago

I had a sore arm, for a couple days but nothing bad after either shot. The arm did hurt longer than most shots I get

• eld6161
    3 years ago

Both DH and I had slightly sore arms. No other symptoms.

• Irish2
    3 years ago

Sore arm to the touch for a good three days.Second shot was without symptoms.

DH had same reaction to first dose and has been trying to get his 2nd dose but has been unsuccessful as CVS stated they weren’t giving them at this time as the shot can mimic same symptoms as covid.

• Joaniepoanie
    3 years ago

I had Part 1 in February. Sore arm for a few days, a little swollen and red at the site. I’m due for Part 2 but same here, CVS was not giving them as of few weeks ago. I have until mid-August so hopefully they’ll be giving them again soon.

• hcbm
    3 years ago

I took both the first and second shot on a Friday. I was worried about the reaction and glad I did. The first reaction was flu like on Saturday and achy on Sunday. The second shot was worse, flu like for 4 days. I missed work on Monday and Tuesday. I could have gone to work, but I would not have been able to function.

I've been told that I am lucky, a strong reaction means strong anti-bodies. Hope that is true.

• chessey35
    3 years ago

I figure that whatever reaction I had from the vaccine is minimal to what having shingles is like.

• ratherbesewing
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for your input. I have finally emerged from the dark side! Feeling MUCH better after 48 hours.

• jojoco
    3 years ago

For those who may want to get the vaccine, curiously CVS has long waiting lists while RiteAid almost always has the vaccine on hand. This was told to me by2 different RiteAid pharmacists who said for some reason, nationwide, they seemed to get much more than any others. I learned this only after calling CVS after CVS looking for the vaccine.

• czarinalex
    3 years ago

I got my shots last spring/fall. The corporate pharmacys(CVS, Walgreens) had long waiting lists. I ended up at a small local owned pharmacy about 45 minutes away.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

I got my first dose in January. My second dose was scheduled for the end of March. Needless to say, it didn’t happen. My GP has a “shot nurse” kind of set up out the back door of the clinic. Even though I won’t have to go through the main waiting room, I’m still hesitant to go get the second dose, but I know my time is limited. I’m wondering if I can get them to come out to the car.

As to side effects, other than my arm being sore, I don’t recall any. So either I had none or they were so mild, it didn’t effect me. Hope that doesn’t mean the side effects from the second injection are going to be doozies! I believe I did take a Tylenol after the first injection.

• ladypat1
    3 years ago

Sore arm both shots, nothing else. Did take it easy both days, no heavy work or exercise.

• Bluebell66
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Bbstx, I also had my first shot in January, and I called my doctors office the other day to find out if I could come in to get the second one yet. They told me they still aren’t seeing patients for vaccines, but that that I actually have more than 2-6 months to get the second vaccine. It sounds like the 2-6 months was only because of the vaccine shortage. I specifically asked “so if I don’t get the second shot until August or November is it just as effective?” and was told YES.

Edited to add: just did a little googling and found I may have been given incorrect info by my doctors office. The CDC recommends the 2nd vaccine within 2-6 months, but I also read that if one misses that window, to just get the second vaccine when you can.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Thanks, Bluebell. If I stretch it to the very end of the acceptable time limit, anytime by August 1 is good for me. Since I can slip in the back door and would only be exposed to the shot nurse, I think I can get comfortable with that, although I would prefer she step out to my car. What gives me the willies is I have to walk up to the main waiting room to pay. I think I’ll call them tomorrow to see if I can give them a cc number over the phone or if they will bill me. I‘d really like to get this off my to-do list!

I’m with every one who says a couple of days of discomfort is better than a case of shingles. We have a friend who several years ago was out of town for the Christmas holidays when his bout with shingles started. He decided to wait until he returned home to see his regular doc. By the time he got home and got in to be seen, he had a roaring case. It got in his eyes, but fortunately didn’t blind him. Nevertheless, he had to stay in a darkened room. It was nearly a year before he came out again. The sun still hurts his eyes. He’s had to give up golf and his wife has to drive him everywhere if it is daylight. Compared to that, feeling flu-y for a couple of days is small price to pay.

• blfenton
    3 years ago

@bluebell - we were told 3-4 months before the second shot and that had nothing to do with shortages as we don't have them. Can a pharmacist do the vaccination?

• User
    3 years ago

Bluebell, my doctor gave me the same information but not because there was a shortage. He said while it was preferred to get the second shot within 6 months, one would get the same efficacy if it were administered after that period.

I had the exact reaction as lascatx. It took over a month for my arm to feel normal after the first shot. I had shingles like symptoms although that is not one of the side affects. My doctor thought perhaps I was getting shingles when I got the shot. I had shingles 30 years ago and it did feel like a very minor case. I waited longer than 6 months to get the second shot and I barely had any side affects.

For anyone thinking the shot is not worth it because of the potential side affects, take it from one who had it. I don't remember the pain but I remember the description. It was as if someone cut my arm open, stuck needles in it and then poured acid over it. Sorry to be so descriptive but really, get the shots!

• bbstx
    3 years ago

For a while about a year, maybe 2, ago, there was a shortage. I have a good friend who is a pharmacist who was at my house just after getting his Shingrix shot. I said something about wanting to do the same and he told me that at that time there was a 6 month waiting list. Manufacturing has finally caught up with demand.

• pudgeder
    3 years ago

I had both injections of Shingrix last year. I didn't have any kind of reaction, although I was expecting to.

I did however, have a case, although very mild, of shingles in March. Called the dr & got an RX for it right away. **knock on wood** haven't had any since.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

Marlene, I'm sorry you had such a bad reaction to the shot, but it does make me feel a little less of a freak. I haven't heard the shingles pain described that quite way, but my dad was a tough one and to complain about the pain was notable. Still, I assumed it was because of the open wounds on the skin. It wasn't until DH had it that we both realized the real pain is a deep nerve pain -- something unlike anything we normally experience. DH had some reoccurrence in his back and shoulder and used a TENS unit that seemed to help. The pain I had in my arm more than a week or two after the shot (when the redness and swelling had gone down) was very deep. Gave me some appreciation for what DH had been dealing with.

Pudgeder, good thing you got the Shingrix when you did!

Bbstx, your neighbor's experience is a scary one. My cousin's husband had it get to his eyes but not in them -- that was the first time I'd hear that shingles could cause blindness. Scary stuff.

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

I had shingles 3 years ago. It was the most dreadful, most monstrous thing I’ve ever been through (including a 35 hour long labor with the first 27 hours on pitocin WITHOUT epidural). Mine was a pretty vicious case of shingles and affected the nerve from the base of my back neck down through my right arm. It felt like someone put an axe at my nape and just left it there. The nerve pain was the worst pain and continued for a couple of years. I was on gabapentin for over 2 years and still take it occasionally if the pain comes back. You don’t want this monster, believe me. I can’t even talk about it without shuddering.

• User
    3 years ago

Lascatx, you are the only other person I've "known" that had the same reaction as I and yes! it makes me feel better as well. I thought I was an anomaly. So one freak, one anomaly crossed off. We are just unique :-).

Nutsaboutplants see my description of my pain in my last post. I should have added "axe inserted in arm" as well. Shingles is indeed a monster.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

Marlene -- yes! Outliers. LOL

Nutsaboutplants -- sounds like yours was in the same area as my husband's - which I think was pretty similar to my dad's. My husband's doctor prescribed Lyrica for the nerve pain and when it started coming back, he did some treatments with a home TENS unit we got at the grocery store pharmacy. It seemed to help and it hasn't come back. He told me he hasn't talked tot the doctor about the TENS use, but it is a small battery operated unit that cost maybe $30. If yours returns, it might be something to look into.

• oberon476
    3 years ago

I had no problem with either vaccine, other than a sore arm for a day or two

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Thanks lascatx. I’m going to try that. I don’t like the dulling effect of gabapentin.