SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimhaber1

Tree problem and is there a way to do this without creating eyesores?

kimhaber1
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I have been so impressed reading the advice this community has given other posters, I thought I would give it a try. I have three 7 year old trees that are on a slope in my front yard. They have not been doing as well as they should and my arborist is convinced they are not getting enough water. He suggested adding soil and "mini" retaining walls to hold the soil in order to create level ground all the way around the tree. Any comments about this as general solution for my trees are also welcome. There is twine sticking up around two of them from the original planting but he didn't seem to think this is a problem (I was worried about girdling).

My husband's first instinct is to by gray pavers to build the little walls. I'm very worried about how this is going to look. I'm attaching a picture my house from the front (please excuse the incomplete landscaping in front of the wall....it's a current work in progress) and then a picture of the ground around each tree. I took the pictures standing on my retaining wall. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks! Kim

Comments (18)