SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_732642838

Floor Plan Critique

Jae T
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My Fiance and I purchased our first home in the Bay Area and we are extremely excited (her more than me). We will be closing in 2 weeks and fiance has already designed a floor plan on how she may want things to be. She always wanted to design her own home. She will send her design to an engineer to see if it's viable. It's a plan with 5 phases completed in 5 or less (hopefully). Other than not having money for the entire renovation at once, if we renovate at once, we will trigger a fire sprinkler requirement which we would like to avoid as that will cost a decent chunk of money. We would like to avoid that.

The house currently is 1020sq ft with 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. The lot size is 5500 sq feet so we have a lot of space to work with.

Phase 1: ADU in the backyard.

Phase 2: Addition with Master Bedroom, walk-in closet, bathroom, walk-in pantry, 1/2 bathroom

Phase 3: Kitchen remodel with an island & remove fireplace

Phase 4: Add 2nd floor (1000sq) which will consist of 1 master bedroom with a balcony+walk in closet and bathroom, 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, and 1 office space or open area. Bedroom #2 converted to stairs leading upstairs to the 2nd floor.

Phase 5: Convert Master bedroom+office space on the first floor to JADU. The Master bedroom will be converted to a Kitchen+Living room while the office space will be converted to a bedroom.

My question is about Phase 2

In the picture below, the area marked in red is an addition. We plan on adding a Master bedroom with a walk-in closet, bathroom, and converting one bedroom into an office space connected to the master bedroom. This unit will become a JADU in the future (Phase 5). The leftover space will be used for a pantry and half bathroom. We'd like to keep as much of the existing wall as possible.

We would definitely like a half bathroom someone in the house on the first floor. but can't think of anywhere else to put it. The following picture is what fiance came up with. To avoid adding too many pipes, or taking down too many walls, the next best place to put the bathroom is next to the walk-in pantry and other bathroom. We have thought of converting bedroom #1 to a half bathroom and pantry but it would require too many pipes to reroute.

I would appreciate everyone's input and thoughts. It's our first home and we would like to utilize all the space as efficiently and effectively as possible. Any other thoughts on where the half bathroom should be placed?

Edit** Sorry guys, I forgot to mention, majority of the construction will be done by friends and family members that have experience and the corresponding license to do it.

Comments (13)