SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_844382676

Problems with Inferno Sugar Maple planted in Red Deer- Advice

S Mann
3 years ago

Hi

i just planted 4 maple trees in my backyard - 2 caliper trees (inferno sugar maple and lord Selkirk maple) and 2 potted trees (royal red norway maple and Korean maple) in red deer, Alberta, Canada

they were planted at end of June 2020 and all of them are doing well except the inferno sugar maple. It was a 2 inch caliper tree. When it was planted they said the root ball was wet from heavy rain the night before so not to water it. About 4 days later it rained an inch and 7 days after planting I gave it about 10 galloon with some transplanter fertilizer.

it’s really not doing well and a number of the leaves are yellow at tips and centrally, mainly at the mid to top part of the tree). because of some heavy rain before the planting I’m not sure if this is because the ground is too wet and the rootball is overwatered. Other options would be under watering (although when I dug up about 4 inches deep it was wet) versus wind damage as it’s somewhat windy in my backyard versus poorly draining soil. interestingly the lord Selkirk sugar maple planted same day and similar caliper size is doing quite well. Any advice Would be appreciated .

Comments (5)