SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janelleleigh83

Assistance Please with Transferring Aroid from Water to Soil

Good Day.

I am looking for assistance in transferring my Juvenile Split Leaf Philodendron or Monstera from water to soil. I have read a lot throughout this forum and the internet and I have not been able to make a determination of what process will provide the best possible results or outcome.. in regards to my personal situation. I had received this cutting with 2 nodes and 3 leaves in September 2018.. unsure of how to propagate this particular variety initially, I placed it in a small vase of RO Unit water. It started to push a small root within 3 weeks.. I left it alone since it was approaching winter here and didn't want to shock it any further.. it's rootstock continued to grow and it retained all of its original leaves through until spring.. at which time I should have tried to transfer it to soil.. but so much confusion out there in regards to the process... Last summer I had placed it outside on my North Facing covered porch and it continued to grow and live, even producing 2 aerial roots. During which time, I started switching out the water every month.. all the while I was researching per say. Then time to bring it in for the winter months placing it 2 feet back from my South Facing Patio door, continuing with switching out the water, even putting it into a vase 1" larger due to the enlargement of its rootstock.. It was doing well until October when it shed its lowest oldest leaf, followed by another within a month.. then it remained stagnant with only 1 leaf and all that remained growing was its aerial roots, reaching to my other potted houseplants. In March the 1 remaining leaf started to appear to be dying or showing signs of nutritional deficiency, but then paused, and in turn it pushed the new leaf as you can see, and the plant so far has held on to the bad leaf as well as the new leaf. My apologies for the long winded post.. I truly believe you knowledgeable folks can provide me with the insight and better experience to aid this plant into thriving mode and not simply surviving mode. Please feel free to ask me questions as well if anything is not clearly described or detailed appropriately. These are my questions:

1. Instead of trying to transfer it at this point can I just completely cut off off the water roots that have formed, allow to callous, then stick it in 5-1-1, and place outside on the covered North Facing Porch because we have great humidity and heat right now.. or will that cause more harm and setback?
  2. Can the water roots even be able to be trimmed so that they are more manageable during the process, if completely cutting them is not an option?
  3. Should I prepare a Sphagnum Moss Pole Setup for its support system when potting into 5-1-1 or other type of mix?
  4. Should I be using 5-1-1; 1-1-1 Gritty; I also have a modified small batch of 1-1-1 to 4-3-2 from my FLFs; Or even some other mix?
  5. What are other methods besides displacing the water with aggregate/mix; a hydroponics setup; dipping roots into a slurry then transplanting to a soil mix?

Thank you kindly for your time and patience as I am sure additional questions and information may arise on my end.

Comments (10)