You can tell it's a strange year? Where is the holiday menu thread?

rob333 (zone 7a)

Sue 's roadhouse ribs

Dill potato salad

Deviled eggs

Cold watermelon and

Mexican street corn

Watching Hamilton shortly.

What'd you have? Do?

SaveComment40Like
Comments (40)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nickel_kg

Grilled pork chops

Herbed Potato Salad

Carrot Cole Slaw

Watermelon

Ice Cream

Late lunch, played Catan afterward. I did not win.

Save    
sealavender

Grilled garlic & lime chicken legs

Oven roasted potatoes

Shishisto peppers

Save    
functionthenlook

Hamburgers

French fries

Cauliflower

Watermelon

Cream cheese celery

Cottage cheese

Cupcakes

Save    
Kathsgrdn

Ate at work, breakfast was Starbucks' protein box with eggs, lunch, Marie Callender frozen chicken and pineapple dinner and dinner was piece of a Spanish tortilla I made and froze the other day.

Save    
morz8

Very laid back day today, some small inside and outside projects, just the two of us.

I have a sockeye salmon filet for dinner (DH was on his own for lunch, I think he had raisin bran ;0))

For sides, I could roast potatoes or make a rice pilaf. There is asparagus that could be grilled with the fish.

I have raspberries but a friend dropped off rhubarb too and DH particularly likes that so I may make a cobbler or pie in the next few minutes so it can mostly cool by dinnertime (west coast, I've got some time yet)

1 Like Save    
1929Spanish-GW

I’m still in my pajamas with one dog already freaking out. It’s 3:45pm.

I have half frozen hamburger for tacos and a half jar of pasta sauce for lazy dinner. Party on!

Save    
wildchild2x2

Well with all this shutdown nonsense everything has had to be moved down the calendar. I had a pork tamale for lunch today to celebrate Cinco De Mayo.

Family and friends are looking forward to BBQ set for Halloween this year.

Save    
cooper8828

Pulled pork sandwiches, deviled eggs, potato salad and beans. Tomorrow will be leftovers.

Save    
wildchild2x2

Happy Independence Day!

2 Likes Save    
amylou321

Anyway.......

We had leftover pot roast. I am not a fan of leftover anything but i did not want to get up this afternoon so i did not have time to cook or go get anything else before i left for work. Heated him up a big bowl of it right before i left. Mine is still in the fridge in my office. Not hungry enough to go for it yet.

I bet I'll get my behind up tomorrow when my alarm goes off....

Save    
desertsteph

I think I'm having a grilled burger tonight. my sister emailed and asked if I wanted one and of course I said yes. a burger he grills is much better than a grilled cheese or pnb sandwich I'd fix for me here. I have things here to add to it - corn, cottage cheese, chips. ice cream for later. they'll bring it over in a few hours with a few things he picked up at the store for me this a.m.

Save    
carabubble

Basil hamburgers with sundried-

tomato mayonnaise

potato salad

deviled eggs

banana nut bread

Save    
seagrass_gw

I'm alone with two young, demanding Australian Shepherds this weekend while my husband is getting his jollies off putting his Porsche on the track about 3 hours from here. Feeling sorry for myself. Socked by Covid19, tourists, and fog on outer Cape Cod.

I've been fantasizing all day about four-wheeling on the beach with a picnic BBQ ribs, potato salad, fresh corn on the cob,Sangria, sun and sand. Only happening in my long ago dreams.

Save    
wildchild2x2

seagrass_gw Sorry you are down today. Living near beaches and not being able to use them is one of the saddest effects of this for many of us. We were supposed to do a beach ride (horseback) yesterday. Had to abort the plan at the last minute when they closed them over the weekend. So we commemorated the weekend by taking a longer ride through the mountains instead. It was so uplifting to feel normal and truly alive for those hours. Fresh air, sunshine and nature cure just about anything.

1 Like Save    
morz8

seagrass, I'm 20 minutes from the ocean (Pacific) and its cloudy and cool here today too. Sweatshirt, jeans, and socks....and I've been mostly inside. (I even turned a little heat on for a while first thing this morning ;0))

One more trip outside to fill some screw holes in the new railings on my deck. If I get to Home Depot tomorrow, maybe I'll get the railings painted.

Save    
wildchild2x2

The weather has been a bit odd so far this year. A few hot days then suddenly cool and windy. Rinse and repeat. Well beaches will reopen next week and I will hopefully get some time to take a nice long beach walk.

Save    
DawnInCal

BBQ Chicken, potato salad, green salad, baked beans and watermelon.

Save    
sephia_wa

morz8, are you at Ocean Shores or Longbeach? I love the WA coast. I love to go fishing at Westport. I still have salmon and black sea bass from my last trip there.

Save    
seniorgal

I am all alone so my dinner was fruit and cottage cheese with some home made banana bread. My daughter was here briefly this noon and brought a MacDonald's hamburger meal with a milkshake. Not something I have often, but it was pretty good. It is beastly hot here in Minnesota today. Guess that is typical July 4 weather.

Save    
1929Spanish-GW

You know what I’m NOT having today?

the bait!

2 Likes Save    
Lucille

I think maybe the movie industry must be responsible for the romanticization of the 'Wild and free' concept. Especially for animals, the reality of being in the wild subjects them to nature: disease, starvation, pain. It isn't the Disney take with fat laughing little roly poly animals all having a grand time of it together.

And I can see how the 'wild and free' concept might be an attractive one to people who want to think of themselves as above the normal, sometimes dreary day to day responsibilities that we all put up with.

But the concept implies freedom from law and social contract. That's fine as long as other people have law and social contracts. But what if they don't? What if the local gang stops by your house and decides they, the entire gang, want to be wild and free with you?

3 Likes Save    
wildchild2x2

Amazing. All I see was a pic of two horses that reminded me of the mare I was riding and the gelding next to me "play racing" each other up the trail yesterday with a Patriotic twist. Fun and fitness for the horses, fun for us. But whatever.

Almost dinner time for me.

2 Likes Save    
colleenoz

^^^^^^^^

Some might even believe you.

1 Like Save    
morz8

Sephia, Westport is my closest beach ;0)

1 Like Save    
sephia_wa

morz8, I love Westport. I usually fish with Deep Sea Charters. They are fishing now, with masks and gloves required. I get an e-mail from them occasionally. I'm going to pass this year though.

Save    
wildchild2x2

DH went for his first deep sea fishing trip of the year a few weeks ago. Masks were required but no gloves, and limited to 10 people. He said only 4 people showed up and they all caught their limit. We shared the catch with neighbors since our freezer space is limited just now.

1 Like Save    
sephia_wa

wildchild, salmon? Halibut? I don't know where you are to know what might be in season. I love having a freezer full of fish I catch.

Save    
wildchild2x2

Pacific Rock Fish this time around. Out of Half Moon Bay which is a little over 30 miles south of San Francisco. He sometimes fishes out of Monterey Bay but I don't think they have opened yet. Monterey County is where my beach ride had to be canceled.

1 Like Save    
Marilyn_Sue

Here was our menu.

Grilled Ribs and hotdogs

Baked Beans

Potato Salad

Cauliflower Salad

Mac and Cheese

Jello Cake

Cheese Cake

Apple Pie

Peach Pie

I forgot to add we also had watermelon

I plan to go back today and help eat the leftovers. It was a nice time.

Save    
caflowerluver

Steak cooked on the grill

Baked potatoes

Corn on the cob

Rolls

Brownies with vanilla ice cream

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

So many great sounding menus. It was a somewhat down day yesterday, I agree. We tired to make the best of it.

The city across the lake, many individual homeowners were shooting off fireworks. Actually, the entire coastline. Some in my neighborhood too, but those are harder to see since it's such an old area with super tall trees and we're at the bottom of the cliffside. The houses directly across from me, those folks were on their back porches and could watch them. If you weren't shooting your own or sitting on your back porch, you walked to the top of the cliff and could watch while standing next to no one. We think it's our favorite 4th now. Turned out pretty nice.

Save    
georgysmom2

Just the two of us. Baby Back Ribs, Potato Salad and Three Bean Salad. Would have loved some fresh corn and cole slaw but wasn't willing to go shopping for ingredients. Sigh.

Save    
sjerin

We had take-out from Pacific Catch; daughter and son-in-law were able to come in the evening for dining al fresco and we figured it was easier to keep that food separated--we're trying hard, though it feels completely unnatural. Some parents across the street had a few sparklers and other low-key fireworks to set off for the young kids around, so it was fun to watch them enjoy. Later, like everyone else, I'd never heard so many booms in my life.

Save    
sjerin

Georgysmom, I tried to go to the grocery store on Friday and for the first time turned around and went back home. Though there was a line, it looked too crowded inside to me. (Lunardi's)

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Lunardi`s in Los Gatos = our favorite store.

Save    
Jasdip

All the talk of the cool temps on the Pacific Coast, we're getting Southern States weather, I'm so jealous. I love wearing jeans and t-shirts/sweatshirts!

I hate, hate it. A solid week of temps over 30C, and hitting 35C by Thursday, and to last 14 days. Usually we get 3 days of 30 then a few days in the 20's and then the 30's again, but not 3 weeks straight.

I made a new recipe tonite.....orzo pasta (which I love) tomatoes, shrimp, canned artichokes, onions, seasonings, feta melted. Delicious.

Save    
matthias_lang

We don't really make up a holiday meal for July 4 and there are only two of us so an array of celebratory party foods is more hassle that it is worth to us. We had soft tacos with re-fried beans and ground beef on the 4rth. Today on the 5th we had the same, minus the meat. Will have a big, mostly lettuce salad later tonight if the lettuce in the garden has not gone bitter.

Save    
sjerin

I sure do miss Gene's. I usually go to the Bascom Lunardi's but have been to the one in LG, which has a particularly large produce area. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I think it has a bigger meat counter and deli counter too.

The Bascom at Union Lunardi's used to be Cosentino's. That was also a decent store, good produce, but I think the Lunardi's operation is a bit higher quality.

Many of the people working in the Los Gatos one are, shall I say, not spring chickens and have knowledge and act (in a positive way) as if they'd been there forever. I don't know how long that location has been under the Lunardi's banner but I do like it. We're not going into stores right now, I miss going in there on a treasure hunt to buy what I find looks good. Never disappointed. The meat counter has any cut of any kind of meat known to exist, and in multiple versions. Pork loin chops - bone in? Thin, medium, or thick? Or boneless? Same with beef, same with lamb.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

We shared a box of 8 store bought frozen egg rolls, which I baked.

Usually, we would grill and have the family over.

No Easter, Memorial Day, Mother's Day or Independence Day family get togethers this year and for the foreseeable future. Beyond strange.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides Twinkle Lights Keep the Holiday Spirit Year-Round
Hate to take down your outdoor lights after the holidays? Here are 12 great ways to use these festive sparklers inside your home
Full Story
Organizing 10 Things to Remember During Your New Year’s Clutter Purge
Fast-track the process and ease the stress by making a plan before you start decluttering
Full Story
Kitchen Design Ideas From the Year’s Top 10 Kitchens of the Week
Get inspired by the found objects, reclaimed hardware, efficient storage and work zones in our top kitchens of 2016
Full Story