SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tr_holmes

Exterior Paint and Stain Recommendations with Pink Brick

tr_holmes
3 years ago

Looking to revamp out exterior paint/stain colors! Looking for trim color, stain color for the back porch and new front door. Also, wondering about the garage door if it should remain the same color as the trim or have it a stain color. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (13)

• loobab
    3 years ago

Hi tr-

I favor keeping the doors the brown wood color they are now.

What about painting the trim and garage doors green in the sage green family?

Same for the roof and posts over the back yard patio.

Of course, that describes hundreds of paint colors, here are but a few from

Valspar

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

A light terracotta might be nice for the siding--one that matches the deepest brick tone. Then you could do a black front door and perhaps a light beige for the trim.

• tr_holmes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beth H. Thank you so much for all the great ideas. Definitely gives me something to think about.

• emmarene9
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would aim to brighten the entrance area. Paint it a darker of the off white shades. Paint the trim white.

Soft green door

Berry color door relates to the brick.

I painted the fascia a soft white and would do the same on the gutters.

• tr_holmes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I agree! I do think the entrance area needs to be a lighter color to brighten it up.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

tr,,,,, if you want some garage ideas, move your car in the driveway and take a picture straight on showing the garage door. maybe stand on the sidewalk and shoot straight at the door. stand further back if you want to include most of the house in the picture.

i'll try and photo shop some doors on the photo so you can see how it looks.

in the interim, go grab some samples of some of those colors I gave you. If you go to Home Depot and use the Behr sample pots, they're only 2.99 or something (BM charges almost 9 for one of theirs, and I think SW is pretty close to that) Ask the paint mixer to color match the other brands. Their paint computer has SW and BM in the computer and can easily spit out the formula. While the Behr color match won't be exact to the original brand, it will be close enough so that you'll be able to tell if you like the color. This way you'll get 3 for the price of one of the other. If you do like it, you can continue w/Behr and just use their paint w/the matched color or go to the SW or BM store and use theirs. I've always used Behr on my exterior (and Dunn Edwards) and have never had issues w/that brand.

(btw,,you don't want any yellow-greens, like mentioned above. anything leaning on the yellow side of the spectrum is going to clash w/the pink (red based) bricks. If anything, you'll want to steer towards the red/blue (violet) side of the spectrum. this includes blue-grays, or any of the red undertone. If you want a green, go towards a gray-sage green, Olive green or the cooler based greens, (like deep teals, forest/Pine greens) make sense?

take a pic of your brick (exclude the plants or any other color you don't want matched) and drag the photo to this. it will give you all sorts of color combos.

https://color.adobe.com/create/image

Using the taupe color (2nd from the right) as the base, the color wheel will then spit out all sorts of combos

I did it w/this photo and got all of the color wheel renditions. (it's really cool to work w/this thing!)

So, Left to right are the color wheel's Triad, Monochromatic, Complimentary, and lastly, Shades.

If you were to switch the base color and pick one of the other4, you'd get diff combos.

This one shows some of the darker hues that work w/the brick

• emmarene9
    3 years ago

I notice the siding and door/window trim are the same color. You'll want to fix that when you repaint.

• tr_holmes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beth will this picture work?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

tr,,it's a little too far back. you won't be able to see any detail.

(so, get ready for a bunch more pics! you really have a lot of options w/this brick) I've got some diff garage door options, a front door, and I've thrown in 4-5 more color combos.

However, in order to work w/a larger pic:

Move over to the right just a little, and come forward a few more feet so that we don't see the fencing. see if that works. (and hopefully you take a picture at present so we get the landscaping)

in the meantime,

here's a dark door and a light door. (but you really can't see the front door very well because it's too far back!

here's a warmer charcoal on the garage, and a soft pink door ( just pick one of the brick colors)

I think if you did the siding and the fascia trim in the same charcoal, it would look nice.

Kendall charcoal is a warm charcoal. that could work. or BM Gray,

you could do a lighter warm gray on garage door (with the hardware) and a darker gray on the siding. Paint the trim a soft white. tried to show it here.

Maybe like these ? you have the two grays, Or, just go w/the color palette on the left.

If you can swing it, I'd get a panel of windows, along w/your current hardware, added to your door. looks so much better.

The panel of windows, the iron hardware, the lights.

I also found the perfect door for you. This one. (no side lite) And this color. See how the siding is painted a medium gray? The front door is a dark charcoal, SW Iron Ore.

then do the pretty pink flowers in a dark gray container. Bright white trim (in one of those whites I showed you). maybe think about doing some black slate tile on your porch floor.

and, think about doing something w/that wood fence (if you haven't already). throw a fence stain on it

I'm kind of digging this aluminum style garage door on your house! With a new front door and the new colors, it will be totally updated. (don't forget the fence! )

The silver color door is nice w/a blush front door.

Btw, found a few more colors for the brick.

more of a terra cotta color for the door (or I guess you could do the siding) and the other two would be siding/ and trim.

this one, Ashley gray would be siding, Trim would be middle one, and the front door would be the terra cotta. as for the garage door, you'd do the gray color like the siding.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

Beth H. : has given you some great ideas for color. I like her door recommendations as well. The current door is just not right.

• tr_holmes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth H. :Here are a couple new pictures. One directly from the front and the other so you can see the siding that is on the sides of the house as well. Also, we do plan on redoing the fence, leaving it natural but moving it back 6 ft from the front on both sides.

Based on all your great suggestions, I'm leaning toward a few ideas. I like the original suggestion of Gorgeous White and Grizzle Gray, but my concern is the gray being too dark for the siding porch area and closing it in. (Notice the front porch doesn't get direct sunlight at any part of the day)

Also like the color combo below. Could the front and garage doors both be Fudge?

The front door you showed above is nice but not really the direction I'm wanted to go. Not a huge fan of a bunch of glass. Below is a style I'm thinking about but again I don't know if that's the right style for this type of house.

Not looking to change the garage door. I like the hardware we have on it and the windows are nice but not looking to spend the extra money for it. Mainly looking to just change the color of that. Other style I like is having the garage door painted to look stained with the front door matching. Similar to this below.

Based on this info, how does this tie into the back porch? What color stains would work with the suggested trim colors (because there is no siding on the back of the house)? If we went the direction of having "stained" garage and front door, would we go the same color with staining the back porch?

Really appreciate all the help!!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

better pic.

but tr, you have to give me some ideas here! I posted at least 25 diff combos.

out of the last comment, w/the diff paints, garage options, what do you like? you have to narrow it down or I'll be here until xmas.