Happy Fourth of July!

agmss15

I hope everyone has a relatively happy safe Holiday weekend! I feel like our country is a bit battered and we all need to work on kindness.

I am attempting a Tangzhong dough for the first time today. We are having a slightly awkward family get together next week - I thought tangzhong rolls might be part of my contribution. Either as hamburger rolls or cinnamon rolls or....

Here is my contribution to red white and blue. More purple than blue. My delphinium are putting on their annual show.

SaveComment8Like3
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jasdip

This just breaks me up...

2 Likes Save    
agmss15

Lol! Way off topic. But I will admit to an at home haircut. Ponytails are the way to go until I get a proper haircut.

1 Like Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Lol, the 'bang'.

Such a different 4th than we have ever experienced....but we knew that. We did consider a month ago to get some friends together that would be up for very careful lock-down conditions. Increase our close friends 'bubble'. We are all home with no-contact ever....just deliveries. NY is serious, especially all our friends.

I think it is just a mood. We care enough for each other to not really need a social event right now. We just can't imagine the 4th or any social event without the usual hugs and close contact love. Maybe a bit nervous that just one friend might do a 'cheat'. (getting gas, going in a market last minute).

We are doing so well in NYState I want to keep being responsible.

Seems extreme for some. I need a close friend base unit like us, that orders on-line delivery, no contact in a store or grocery, two weeks minimal.

We might try in a few weeks.

I like what David Brooks said,

"If you don’t breathe the spirit of the nation, if you don’t have a fierce sense of belonging to each other, you’re not going to sacrifice for the common good. We’re confronted with a succession of wicked problems and it turns out we’re not even capable of putting on a friggin’ mask."

2 Likes Save    
plllog

Save    
nancyjane_gardener

I'd rather see that on TV than in person! Idiots are doing fireworks all over the place, even after 2 major fires in 3 years!

I know people want to get their yayas out, but fireworks.....during another drought.....during fire season?

On topic, our local store always has a good sale on ribs for holidays, so it's ribs, tater salad and vege to be determined (just the 2 of us) AND the new pup on a leash at ALL times!

Save    
plllog

I'm sorry, Nancyjane! I didn't mean to bring up the bad part. Fireworks are much better as pictures. We're not as vulnerable to wildfire here, but fireworks don't belong near houses! And there's something out there booming already...

Save    
John Liu

This has been the weirdest 4th of July for us. We usually have a party. No party. No party or dinner or anything social since February. It was nice for awhile, lots of downtime. Now I miss seeing our friends. We did have a nice week at the coast so I’m online fantasizing about buying a weekend place. Lot of time online lately. Grrr.

Still, we’ve been productive. SWMBO and the kids have been Marie Kondo’ing our closets all weekend. I cleaned up my garage, fixed some broken chairs, cleared aside workbench space to start restoring another espresso machine. I guess this is what life as a hermit is like.

1 Like Save    
nancyjane_gardener

plllog, no problem. It's just been very jumpy all this week with all of the big fireworks canceled, there have been triple the police/fire calls as in previous years. And fireworks are illegal in all but 2 cities in our county!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Shop Houzz Get Ready for July 4th
By Houzz
Prep your backyard to enjoy the peak of summer outside
See Products
Monthly Home Checklists July Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
Pare back inside while you fire up outside for the Fourth. And why not donate some spare produce while you're at it?
Full Story
Most Popular How to Hang the American Flag at Home
We’ll show you how to display the American flag on your house for Memorial Day, the Fourth of July or all year round
Full Story