SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cliu8918

Max HVAC duct length? Vendor said there is no benefit to run ducts

lc
3 years ago

Hoping to get some insights. Renovating a mid century modern home; it is on slab with exposed beams, and there is no attic. We have an architect designed addition and specifically added a dropped ceiling area to house the HVAC equipment. There will be two units. One will take care of the addition and the other the older space. Conversations with the architect and GC had always revolved around how we will run ducts in the older space. I was told we could run ducts in the eaves.

The older space is long and narrow. HVAC vendor dropped by yesterday and told me it would not be worth it running ducts as the duct will need to travel 50 feet from one end of older space to the other. They told me there would be no air after traveling that distance (too long), so they suggested they will just put two supplies on one end of the space and maybe we will get air about 2/3 of the way across. For the other end of the space, they said we could put in mini splits later if we feel there is not enough air. Is this really the best option? We were told about doing mini splits instead of HVAC during the design phase, but we want to keep the clean mid century aesthetic and opted for HVAC. Would appreciate some advice on what can we do to have air throughout the entire older space and not have to do mini splits on one side. Thanks!

Comments (13)