SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan_highland69

Anyone make their own DIY Seed Tape?

Susan Highland USDA Zone 9b
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have tried this his year, and it really works! Even though toilet paper is scarce, it only takes a square to plant 5 seeds and more for a row. I mix up flour and water so it's a paste consistency. Pour some seeds in the palm of one hand and pick them up one at a time with a toothpick dipped in the paste. Then I just press the seeds on to the toilet paper an inch apart, bury the entire thing however deep the seeds require, and keep it watered. It hasn't failed me yet.

A couple weeks ago I planted Calabrian Pepper seeds (3 of them), and today the first one sprouted. I only need one plant, and it's in full sun outside in a huge container, but I will separate and transplant all of them to their own containers until next spring. We have a lot of critters and insects here that love little new plants, so planting more than I need is just insurance.

Do any of you plant seeds this way?

This is the Calabrian Pepper all sprouted and cute. There were 3, so sometimes they don't all come up at once. It's in there with Anise and thyme and a few other herbs. This addition to my garden is because Bobby Flay uses these in almost all his recipes. I have to try them!

Comments (2)