SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drkate07

Possible to prune a Natchez crepe myrtle to stay medium size?

Kate Vasquez
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all,

Looking for some advice from folks who have experience with 'Natchez' crepe myrtles (white)!! I live in San Jose, CA (zone 9b). I have about a 12 ft diameter lateral space for a white crepe myrtle at the corner of my porch (porch/roof corner is 6 ft away for the center of the tree). After much research, I decided upon the 'Acoma' crepe myrtle due to its medium size as compared the larger Natchez (Natchez listed as 20-25' spread and height). However after calling and visiting nearly 25 wholesale and retail nurseries in my area... all had Natchez but found only one place that had 'Acoma' but upon visiting they were all in very poor shape. None of these businesses said they could source it from a local grower either :(

So... from what I see now my two options are 1) buy a 3.5gal 'Acoma' online from Monrovia and have it delivered to a local nursery or 2) buy a larger size multi-trunk 'Natchez' and attempt to stay on top of pruning it to keep it around 10-12ft laterally. I was looking for some instant tree presence so was thinking of purchasing either 15gal or 24" box size.

What would you do? To those that have experience with 'Natchez'... is there any hope that I could contain it to a 10-12ft spread? The gutter is about 11ft from the ground... so would need stay within 10-12' spread until at least that far from the ground. (the stake in the below picture shows the location of the tree).

Thank you in advance for your advice :)

Comments (13)