Lady at the grocery store

sleeperblues

I was checking out yesterday at the grocery store, where all of the employees had masks and there was a plastic partition between customer and employee. I had my mask on. The clerk starts chatting with the lady checking out in front of me, her bill came to over 300.00. I didn't really notice that she was pregnant, but the clerk asked her what she was having and she said "a girl. I have 4 boys and 2 girls at home, this is my 7th". She was not wearing a mask. I couldn't believe someone with that many people depending on her, plus her unborn daughter, would take that kind of risk. Our cases are rising here, and more and more people are finally masking. This was just sad to me, I pray that she stays safe for her family. The only reason I mention how much she spent was to show that she has a lot of people counting on her. She also looked to be college educated, well dressed and put together.

SaveComment44Like1
Comments (44)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

Fortunately in our area you are required to wear a mask if you are going in a public place...probably one of the reasons why our cases are low while we are re-opening.

2 Likes Save    
loonlakelaborcamp

Lots of assumptions going on. The most glaring one is that she has never had the virus. Perhaps she has recovered. Does she have to have a 19 tatooed to her forehead to stop people judging her?

3 Likes Save    
Annegriet

I would wear the mask just to make others feel safe and comfortable. Plus, we know that the antibodies don't offer protection forever.

10 Likes Save    
colleenoz

There is no evidence so far that having had the virus will prevent you from getting it again.

18 Likes Save    
nicole___

It's about 90% wearing masks here in Colorado....very low COVID rate per day.....BUT....it's the 10% NOT wearing masks that you notice!

I made a few extra masks, put them in ziplock baggies, so they look fresh and clean...plan on giving them to a gym teacher today....for students that need them....when schools open.

7 Likes Save    
sleeperblues

Oh loon, but you are judging me? Precious

4 Likes Save    
KennsWoods formerly kentrees

My county, Seminole in FL, starts mandatory masking on 1 July. Positive tests have shot up here over the last week. I went grocery shopping this AM when my WD opened at 7AM. Very few customers at that time, which is why I went then, but all were wearing as were the store employees. I was in and out in no time. My pup needs meds in the next day or two and because he's growing and the dosage is weight dependent I'll have to take him in. I'll call on arrival, a tech will come out and get the pup, weigh him and bring me the meds, I'll pay by phone. Virtually no contact.

When I'm in my yard working I don't wear, if out walking I don't because distancing is not a problem in my hood. If I was going to the lakefront I would wear because there are more people, but I haven't been there in months. I've wanted to take my pup to the dog park, but won't now. I'm pretty much a hermit now, but being an introvert and with lots to keep me occupied at home I'm OK.

5 Likes Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

A mask only protects the wearer from spreading aerosolized germs. It does nothing to prevent her from being exposed to them or becoming infected. So she was not putting herself, her unborn child or her other kids at risk by not wearing a mask.....only those strangers who were shopping at the same time. Her biggest risk was being at the store in person in the first place!!

Masks are now a state-wide requirement here in any public places. I had a few errands to run yesterday and every store I entered had a big sign on the door stating that requirement. This is now a legally enforceable requirement in this state. Not wearing a mask in a public place is a misdemeanor punishable by 90 days in jail and/or a $1000 fine.

It should have been that way months ago!

7 Likes Save    
DawnInCal

Masks are also mandated in California, but I'd estimate that compliance where I live is between 70 - 80% depending on the business. The businesses in my area have posted signs that masks are required but they are not enforcing the state mandate nor their own policies. Although, when I went grocery shopping a few days ago, compliance seemed higher. Maybe people are finally starting to get the message.

3 Likes Save    
arcy_gw

Like it or not the wearing of masks does not guarantee safety. Perhaps in her enlarged state breathing is difficult and to add a mask is just more than she can manage at the moment. I am in the camp that if my wearing a mask makes you feel better--I do. I have made many in a pattern that according to my daughter the lab scientist who is working with the cows that are in the news. They have the filter that makes a huge difference. I have made dozens and everyone I know has been gifted. I do not however believe if I come across an ill person it would protect me from ANYTHING, the nature of airborne viruses and all. Masks and reducing exposure by not being in contact with anyone for more than 15 minutes is all we have and go about some semblance of life, so it's what we do. It is HIGHLY unlikely that a trip to the grocery store would infect her. As the NY study proves getting out is necessary. Fresh air, social contact is vital to our immune systems as well as our psyches. Physical distancing is in your control as you take walks, ride bike, do the business of your lives. I would guess this short outing meant more than just a way to feed her lovely family.

Save    
sleeperblues

Having trouble copying and pasting, but yes wearing a mask by at least 80% of the population decreases transmission of Covid. Even a simple cloth mask can stop the large droplets that may be in the air.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

It's less about whether it would infect her and more about whether she's infecting everyone else. We wear a mask to protect others...they wear a mask to protect us. It's about being a responsible citizen and doing a simple thing that protects everyone in the community.

One grocery store chain I know of has disposable masks available for free for patrons who don't have one....all they have to do is ask for one at customer service.

3 Likes Save    
Uptown Gal

I do agree with you that she should be wearing the mask...or not going out

with that many people who she loves and love her....but : "She also looked to be college educated, well dressed and put together."? Wow...I am

now running and hiding in case you can see me sitting here in my old

shorts and t-top..hate to have to forfeit my College Education. Had a

nut (friend) in college who wore his bathrobe to any 8 o'clocks. Didn't

seem to hinder his success. Don't remember anyone judging him for

that either.

1 Like Save    
sleeperblues

Painting a picture, Uptown. I don't care if she was green and purple and dressed in a bathrobe, she wasn't wearing a mask while pregnant with 8 people who depended on her.

4 Likes Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

And it was clearly pointed out here (and in numerous other sources if one bothers to look) that wearing a mask does NOTHING to protect her or her family bubble. It only protects others she may come into contact with!!

Save    
jupidupi

Kennswoods, my brother lives in the Seminole County. He told me that the Orange County part of Orlando had stricter mask regulations and he was hoping the Seminole part would adopt the same. It's confusing enough for one city to span two different counties, without having different regulations for each. He recently had a follow-up appointment for knee surgery that had been put off twice because of Covid restrictions. The doctor was running late, and told him it was because he has increased his schedule for elective surgeries, as he fully expects them to be shut down again.

Save    
Annegriet

Why wouldn't someone do absolutely everything possible to prevent the spread of this virus?

4 Likes Save    
Uptown Gal

And, sleeperblues, I said I did agree with you on that part.

Save    
Lucille

Like it or not the wearing of masks does not guarantee safety.

There are no absolute guarantees but it certainly makes the world a lot safer if everyone masks. It really is not very bright to reject something that will help, but isn't perfect. If it saves some lives, and is cheap and easy, use it.

Fresh air, social contact is vital to our immune systems as well as our psyches

That is a lot of malarkey. People in an ordinary home with some pets and plants and bathrooms to clean have plenty to keep their immune systems responsive. And there is plenty of social contact to be had, just not face to face.

Even if you believed that malarkey which I do not, take a look at the scales. One side has death on it. That pretty much outweighs anything on the other side such as fresh air which much of the world doesn't have anyway due to pollution.

4 Likes Save    
Hot Rod

Out of curiosity - what does college educated look like?

5 Likes Save    
Olychick

No mask is 100% effective against the virus - N95's are closest but few except medical professionals are wearing those. But if TWO people are wearing masks, it doubles the protections. So even though people are saying she's not so much at risk with others wearing masks, there are 4 layers or more (hopefully) of protection both directions.

And, yes, I'm going to judge people who put others at risk in a pandemic (and at other times, too.) So what if she gets it? Well, tell that to all the people who will be trying to save her life, putting their own lives and families at risk for us. I wish stores would just make a policy, no mask, no shopping here. You can't wear a mask? Send someone else to do the shopping or do pick up at the curb.

4 Likes Save    
graywings123

It's OK, sleeperblues, I understood what you were trying to convey.

2 Likes Save    
kadefol

While masks are not 100% effective, studies have confirmed that
transmission rates are much lower when everyone wears one in public.

Because of a steep increase in infections, our local "leaders" held a special meeting to decide if masks should be made mandatory in stores and restaurants in our small TX city. They unanimously voted NO and explained that everyone should have the right to decide for themselves if they want to wear a mask or not. Bad decision which will help increase local cases even more.

Masks being politicized and called "muzzles", and the Pres and VP refusing to wear them, is not helping either.

4 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

That's the one that I find mind boggling. Why are there so many children without masks? If my son was younger, I would've explained why he was not allowed go without and he would've worn it, even when a toddler. As it is, he has critical thinking skills and wears it on his own. But the little ones I've seen without, I find that child endangerment. What is wrong with these people? "Right" (only in their bully opinion) at the cost of the most precious citizens. Are they insane?

We're under a mandate to wear them, so our stores have them at the front door. Not wearing one is absolutely disregard. It's the law.

Save    
Jasdip

Then there's this message that a friend posted on Facebook!!! Smh. Why the hell is she even out and about????

"I am standing in line at the LCBO in Sauble on Sat respecting "Distancing Protocol" while talking to the young couple from KW behind me; when the woman in front of me turns around and firmly demands I obey the rules because "She" is a Carrier!"

Save    
Feathers11

Masks are not comfortable, but if you are truly finding it difficult to breath with a mask on, you need to research who's having the most difficulty fighting this virus once it's caught. It's... ummm... a respiratory virus.

Regarding the lady in the OP, the virus and its treatments aren't kind to pregnancy, either.

1 Like Save    
sleeperblues

Olychick, what you said 100% And to those who are taking offense at my saying that she looked college educated, guess I should have just said she was well dressed. There, ya happy?

Save    
nickel_kg

With seven kids, the husband must not be 'masking' up either.

8 Likes Save    
kadefol

Haha, Nickel!!

Save    
NOWAY2Biden

It's not the LAW here, but it's an "order". There's a difference. Our adolescent judge will try to extend the mask order once again.

Save    
KennsWoods formerly kentrees

If I'd had COVID and fully recovered and was assured I had antibodies up the wazoo I'd STILL wear a mask out of respect for everyone else.

7 Likes Save    
stacey_mb

No missing teeth, tattoos, or pack of cigarettes rolled up in her shirtsleeve. And asked the cashier if A Midsummer Night's Dream was on her book club list. ;-)

How about a condensed version of A Midsummer Night's Dream rolled up in a shirtsleeve? My kind of nerd! lol! (Edited for title emphasis.)

Save    
Kathsgrdn

Every other day my more-educated-than-me brother tells me how stupid I am. He has a master's degree. Me, just an associates. Yet he believes in this deep state crap and multiple other conspiracy theories. He also has an arsenal of weapons in case anarchy erupts and tells me I need to buy a gun to protect myself and my meager belongings. This is the same guy who shot a man through his door and ruined his life, and almost went to prison for it. He has multiple degrees, didn't make him smarter. He does wear a mask...or did. I haven't asked him if he quit because Trump refuses to wear one or not.

Most people here don't wear masks. I have no idea who is more educated or not.

Save    
honibaker

Wearing a face mask DOES provide protection to the wearer, according to recent studies, see https://www.cleveland.com/coronavirus/2020/06/masks-may-protect-the-wearer-from-the-coronavirus-more-than-originally-thought-new-research-suggests.html

The CDC recently agreed with a meta-analysis published on June 1 in the Lancet that masks are useful for the wearer, as well as those around the wearer.

6 Likes Save    
sleeperblues

Gardengal said "And it was clearly pointed out here (and in numerous other sources if
one bothers to look) that wearing a mask does NOTHING to protect her or
her family bubble. It only protects others she may come into contact with!!" See honibaker's post above, and there are plenty other references IF ONE WOULD BOTHER TO LOOK, one can find plenty of evidence that mask wearing protects the mask wearer. As I said, having trouble copying and pasting otherwise I would have done the work for you.

2 Likes Save    
Michael

Back to the OP.

Before I left the parking lot, I dirtied my finger on her rear window.

7 Likes Save    
sleeperblues

Michael, lol

Save    
Annegriet

OMG so funny--thanks for the giggle.

Save    
joyfulguy

Three or four centuries ago world population was about one billion, within a century or so grew to two billion.

Now 7 billion, some estimates going to about ten within this century.

That family is doing their bit to contribute to the world's overpopulation.

Could Mother Nature be sending the likes of the corona virus in an attempt to teach us that it would be wise to trim it down to sustainable numbers, so the managers of the world'd not need to use such drastic methods to smarten us up?

ole joyful

2 Likes Save    
kadefol

Kathsgrdn, this is just my opinion and no offense intended, but it sounds like severing contact with your brother would be in your best interest. Going by what you wrote about him, he appears to be a toxic, dangerous bully who is detrimental to your mental health and peace of mind.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

LOL!! sleeperblues, I've done plenty of research and the conclusions drawn from reputable scientific and medical sources indicate that face masks have minimal effectiveness against the wearer being infected or catching something and most especially with disposable or homemade cloth masks. These don't even do a great job of limiting or controlling airborne particles released by the wearer via sneezing, coughing or even speaking........but they are better than nothing.

If you think otherwise, you suffering under an ill-informed delusion. Sorry.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Careful. I think sleeperblues is a nurse anesthetist. Let her have her say but with valid sources. She knows that better than any of us.

1 Like Save    
kadefol

gardengal, via Stanford:

Many people argue that cloth masks can’t be effective because they can’t
filter out viral particles, which are extremely tiny. But, as Larry
explained, most of these particles leave the mouth and nose in much
larger droplets that become smaller through evaporation as they move
away from the body. Trapping droplets with the mask means not nearly as
many viral particles escape. So, when all parties in a gathering are
wearing well-constructed, well-fitting masks, it provides an extra layer
of safety for everyone. If two people are wearing masks, the viral
particles can travel about 5 feet away from each individual. When an
infected person is not wearing a mask, those particles can float through
the air 30 feet or more and stay alive for up to 30 hours.

Mask recommendations as of June 19th

1 Like Save    
Olychick

I saw this very interesting little demonstration about the effectiveness of masks. It doesn't address the issue of protection for the wearer, but the spread of the virus through droplets.

https://www.khq.com/news/khq-investigates-how-effective-is-a-mask/video_e308a1e8-b74f-11ea-ac6d-878bd6f54032.html

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fall and Thanksgiving Style Recipe: Mantel Decor From the Grocery Store
Create a quick and colorful fall display using artichokes, clementines and cabbage
Full Story
Kitchen Storage 16 Ways to Store Your Herbs and Spices
From super neat and organized to surprisingly artistic, there’s a seasoning-stashing solution for everyone
Full Story
Budget Decorating Pop Culture Watch: Get a Good Rap With Thrift Store Scores
Eight rooms that rock secondhand finds, in an ideabook inspired by rappers taking YouTube by storm
Full Story
JL Masonry strives to be your primary resource for all of your stonework and masonry needs. We are dedicated to... Read More
Interior designer Bradford Collier is known for creating beautifully livable spaces. Modern yet refined,... Read More