SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_pichulo

Back to the future

KennsWoods
3 years ago

The flux capacitor ain't capacitatin'.

When I moved in late Dec I stayed with my son and dil until I got my own place. After I moved in mid Feb my dear dil insisted I eat supper with them, which I did nearly every day. Then the fertilizer hit the ventilator. Son and dil work in healthcare and isolation began. In mid May we began eating together again. They are in ppe all day and shower and change upon entering their home from work every day. Today we decided to go back to isolation.

I listen to scientists, not to politicians and 'others'. I have a VERY bad feeling about the future.

Comments (49)

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

I do too.

KennsWoods thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

Me too. It seems like living in relative isolation is the only solution until there is a medical one.

KennsWoods thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Related Discussions

Back to composting and future competion for organic material

Q

Comments (0)
    I am really serious about how the flows of organic wastes are going to affect organic farming and gardening. If production of biodiesel and burning of organic waste for energy acquire mandates from government agencies, what are we gardeners and organic farmers going to do for bulk and composted materials. I personally would not use "biosolids" (human waste stream) unless very well tested for contaminants following a rigorous composting and curing process.
    ...See More

Yeah! We're back from July!

Q

Comments (3)
    It was nice to go back, but I'm glad to see us back in 2007. Reading the July posts only makes me want to go outside and work in the garden.
    ...See More

back to the future

Q

Comments (4)
    tell us why because that is a very drastic step there may be much easier ways to fix or deal with what ever the problem is, if it is an infection there are places that we can send you to get help step by step. I would definitely try that before jumping into the type of procedure you are looking at especially if you are not really experienced in that. give us the model etc of the pc the windows and browsers some info on the pc and just exactly what is happening that makes you want to do this.
    ...See More

Back to the future again

Q

Comments (11)
    Yes, as suggested upthread. Go visit a showroom so you can actually SEE island hoods. You have some preconceived notion of them that isn't valid in real life. Disabuse yourself of that notion before spending thousands of dollars on something that you already consider inadequate (rightfully so) before you ever begin. There are plenty of island hoods that are attractive, and functional without being obtrusive. Or, there are plenty that can be the focal point of a kitchen if you'd rather go that route. Or, look at your overall layout for better efficiency. Actual cooking is only 10% of the time you spend in a kitchen. 70% of the time is prep. If you want the island to be the social gathering spot, then arrange the key items so that you are prepping on the island. Add a prep sink and a nice long spot to prep so you are facing outward into the home. If you aren't happy with the compromises that you are making, then you are making the wrong compromises. Post your layout.
    ...See More
  • Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

Yes, and those scientists are saying that the increased COVID infection numbers are not indicative of being in a second wave -- that we are still in the first onslaught.

Scary.

KennsWoods thanked Lindsey_CA
  • Michael
    3 years ago

My brother and his wife have been staying home in a rural area of Ohio. Things were looking very good for Belmont County. The county has a low count and hasn't seen a rise in new cases for several days.

Until a week ago, 90 irresponsible, inconsiderate, high school students returned home from Myrtle Beach. Today it's known that 25 are positively infected and have possibly exposed over 1K friends, relatives, neighbors, shoppers, etc.

Instead of working toward a better future, I'm afraid the younger generations are going to kill the future.

I have a very bad feeling about tomorrow.

KennsWoods thanked Michael
  • Annegriet
    3 years ago

I have bad feelings too. I am supposed to go to dentist this week and I am thinking about canceling. It's all just very, very scary. I think we've been so irresponsible as a nation. Wear the mask. Keep the distance. Care about others! 46 states have rising cases. It's bad out there.

KennsWoods thanked Annegriet
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Oh, I can't wait to see what happens once universities open up again, because we all know campus life and social distancing and wearing masks go so well together.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Stupidity and irresponsibility of people at all ages have been responsible for our inability to control the pandemic as other countries have.

KennsWoods thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Annegriet
    3 years ago

I think bringing back schools is a big mistake.

• jewelisfabulous
    3 years ago

I tend to think that Covid is a "dress rehearsal" for a more virulent and deadly virus yet to come. We have definitely failed the dress rehearsal.

KennsWoods thanked jewelisfabulous
  • Jasdip
    3 years ago

We've had protests, even last month demanding the opening of businesses. Crowds of people in close quarters with their signs and outrage.

Beaches are busy, no social distancing. BLM protests.

I honestly thought there would have been a wave of positive results, but nothing at all. This is why people aren't taking the virus seriously.

KennsWoods thanked Jasdip
  • Annegriet
    3 years ago

Zalco--what do you mean by relative isolation. Do you go to grocery store? Doctors/dentists?

• Annegriet
    3 years ago

I have so many dental issues--bad gums--bone loss. I'm scared not to go to dentist and I'm scared to go. I guess dentures are better than death.

Elmer--I agree with your assessment of our nation.

3 years ago

I go to the grocery store every week to ten days. I have not had any need for a medical appointment, though teeth cleaning time is coming soon. My dentist is a good friend and feel fine with how her office is run, so I'll do that.

By relative isolation I mean no social life beyond screens/phones. No outings for me and my husband or with our young adult children. No dinners out for us. No arts events. No hosting dinners, or brunches, no irl church services.

We are fortunate to be able to shelter in place and have all sorts of things delivered and whatnot, but when I think of how long this has to go on, it's a bit depressing.

• Annegriet
    3 years ago

I have not gone to a grocery store or anywhere since March. I am scared to leave my home.

3 years ago

Annegriet, Do you live in a particularly dangerous area? I would definitely go ahead and make necessary dental appointments with a reputable dentist. Gum disease is a pretty serious matter and we have no idea when this plague will be gone.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Annegriet, I don’t know where you live, what the situation is there. My state has been pretty buttoned down. Dentists offices opened for regular service a few weeks ago. I already had an appointment scheduled, so when they called me to see if I still wanted to come in, they went over all of their new procedures and precautions. My, goodness, there were a LOT of new procedures and precautions. And so, I went a couple of weeks ago. All is still well. I would not have wanted to go longer to deal with issues that had arisen. Talk to your dentist, see if you feel comfortable with their new ways.

KennsWoods thanked bpath
  • Annegriet
    3 years ago

Well, as dumb luck would have it, while I was flossing tonight, my crown popped out into the air and in my lap! So, I'm going...

• desertsteph
    3 years ago

we had a lot of the 22- early 40s crowds out at the bars and clubs the other week after things started opening again. I heard a clip on TV that the Gov is clamping down again. will have to watch the 9 pm news to see what that means. I did notice less people at the grocery with masks yesterday - again mostly the younger people. I just did a quick run in for a few things and out again. I also noticed that the aisle arrows were gone. for me that means I can get what I need quicker and be out of there. I stay clear of others in aisles anyway.

I'm also ok with not going out otherwise or having visitors. I normally don't.

KennsWoods thanked desertsteph
  • lisa_fla
    3 years ago

Ken I saw on today’s news that Seminole is requiring face masks in Publix starting in a couple of days. People still aren’t doing it here in Orange since there is zero repercussion if you don’t. The positivity rate in Orange is 15.3% over the last 14 days.

KennsWoods thanked lisa_fla
  • georgysmom2
    3 years ago

Annegriet.......I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the precautions taken when you go to the Dentist. You will feel very safe I'm sure. I mostly buy my groceries online and pick up. I have ventured in the grocery store a couple of times. I generally drive by and if the parking lot has too many cars to make me feel comfortable, I pass. Early in the morning or late at night is a good time to go. The other day I went to Home Depot because I needed a light bulb for my range hood and one for the bathroom. They are specialty bulbs that I had to pick out in person to make sure they were the right ones. I got there at 8:00 a.m. and maybe there was 5 people in the store, all with masks and it was easy to distance myself. No one else looking for bulbs. Then I went to Dollar Tree, picked out a birthday card, some rolls of cellophane and some cleaning stuff. Once again, there was just a few people there. I say venture out but be cautious. Don't let your guard down. Your best defense is keeping your distance. Hard to do with the Dentist but they are taking extra special precautions.

KennsWoods thanked georgysmom2
  • sealavender
    3 years ago

Annegriet, it sound like thing have changed with your dental situation, but you should feel free to call and confirm that office procedures are to your satisfaction before you go. They should not be offended; you are right to protect yourself.

KennsWoods thanked sealavender
  • Texas_Gem
    3 years ago

I don't know how things are in other regions but for me...I track the spread locally and, more importantly the hospitalization rates/capacity.

We CAN'T quarantine this virus out of existence. It IS here, it is virulent and it IS deadly to certain people. To all those ignoramuses saying it's no worse than the flu, PLEASE get a clue!!!

You have to be living under a literal rock to NOT get the seriousness of this!!!

However!!! When all this started in early March, the idea was to flatten the curve, to NOT overwhelm our medical capacity. It never has been and never will be about eliminating it completely.

If....IF your region is currently holding steady and NOT being overwhelmed, there is, IMHO, no reason to NOT go ahead with "normal life" as much as possible while minimizing your risk.

We go bowling once a week at our local bowling center, they keep every other lane empty and sterilize all shoes and balls.

2 of my kids have private voice lessons once a week with their choir director in her home. They meet at the door, use hand sanitizer and maintain at least a 6 foot distance whilst in her home for the private lesson/s.

My kids otherwise don't go out on public. We have had get togethers, outside where we maintain social distance.

I go to the grocery store every 2 weeks wearing my mask to stock up.

Our school district is currently planning on resuming in school classes in August and I will absolutely be sending my kids.

We are currently sitting at 1 patient in ICU due to COVID in our region. My kids NEED the social interaction with others in order to develop normally.

Will I be going out with my family to large crowds?? Heck to the nah nah!!

Will my 4 children- all between the ages of 8 and 13 be attending school? Heck to the yeah yeah!!!

KennsWoods thanked Texas_Gem
  • yeonassky
    3 years ago

Here in BC we have had a outbreak from an exotic club that flouted the rules! Nobody's happy with them! They are closed and who knows when or if they'll ever be able to open again. Humans... we are so irresponsible.

KennsWoods thanked yeonassky
  • arcy_gw
    3 years ago

The science is also saying be holed up, living in a bubble is unhealthy. Weakens your immune system. No social interaction is taking a toll on our psyches. Where's the balancing point? Mandating masks nationally, in public is being talked about. I am curious to see if it happens. It's such an easy thing that has quite an impact. I do not see why so many are so stubborn. Personal distance, avoid large crowds, masks and we could keep the spread waaaay down. It is unfair to pick and choose which businesses are unnecessary, which could fail, which families would live w/o their livelihood but I do not comprehend why bars are open. Why large tourist venues are open. Why people are traveling for pleasure. Yes vacation is good for the soul but to miss one year or even two--is frankly how most of the world lives!! My county is pretty covid free and I would prefer it remain so. That will only happen if people stay in their own spaces. From what I see about how people are handling the opening up--we NEED the shelter at home mandates for people to help themselves and others. I go to Mass, we are personally distanced. I am not attending weddings that are being scheduled. The dentists/hair salon/eye doctor all had protocols in place. Jury duty-personal distance, protocols in place. Hanging out at a race track-not going to happen. Wearing a mask passing people along an aisle very very low to zero chance of exposure. But still I shop early before most of the town is awake. The science says 15 minutes of exposure to someone infected is the danger zone. It's fine to rail at teens but they have parents. Parents who ought to be in charge of their households, but this has exposed how seldom that is true. Getting this for the vast majority is not a death sentence. We have to remember that. There are severe precautions vulnerable people must take but the rest of us need to find the balance and learn to LIVE with this thing.

KennsWoods thanked arcy_gw
  • arkansas girl
    3 years ago

I have seen a return to mask wearing yesterday at the store. For the past couple of weekly grocery trips for me, almost no one had on a mask, but yesterday almost everyone had them on.

KennsWoods thanked arkansas girl
  • Michele
    3 years ago

We are in NYC. No one in our immediate family or circle of friends got sick. My husband (62) just learned of a childhood schoolmate. He made it just fine following all the recommendations for months. He just recently went back to work when it opened up. He died 3 weeks later. His mother (98) got sick and lived. Try and figure that out. This has renewed our commitment to mask wearing, distancing, etc.

Frankly, steps towards opening here are leading to people letting their guard down and it scares me. If people would just stick to wearing the masks etc, and avoid being indoors for extended periods with people outside their “bubble” we could get through. I see people being careless.

KennsWoods thanked Michele
    3 years ago

Oh, Michele, I am so sorry about your husband's friend. On a happier note, I seem to remember you are about to become a grandmother :-) Sending you warm thoughts as you anticipate this joyous event.

• lucillle
    3 years ago

I am still living under a rock in isolation, with a chihuahua, a kitty, some tropical fish and about 60 houseplants. Get plenty of social interaction, just not face to face. I frankly do not believe that living in an ordinary home situation, especially one with plants and pets, has any untoward effects on anyone's immune system.

Basically I think the situation can be handled. No 'opening up, no schools with classrooms, virtual school only. Even for many working folks by working at home and taking precautions. But I think idiot politicians and their moron minions, and people who just don't think about the consequences of their actions, are what is making the situation increasingly dangerous.

KennsWoods thanked lucillle
  • Jasdip
    3 years ago

Yeonasky, 27 people are infected from a nail salon in Eastern Ontario.

KennsWoods thanked Jasdip
  • Annegriet
    3 years ago

I agree with everything Lucille said. I also get plenty of social interaction via phone, text, skype, and zoom. Is the same as meeting my BFF for coffee? No. But it's fine for now. Since when did we become so weak that we can't tough it out? And mask wearing should be mandatory -- everywhere -- period. Can you imagine during World War II if people had said, "Sorry, I don't want to use black out curtains--it violates my constitutional rights." We are pathetic.

• yeonassky
    3 years ago

Jasdip I had heard the same.

Yes opening up might be hazardous to our health sooner than some of us would like... Initially I read that 80% of us would get this. We are only trying to get it in spaced out waves. I wish we could space it out more though.

KennsWoods thanked yeonassky
  • Michele
    3 years ago

Zalco! Thank you so much. We are officially in the “any day now” period. One of the sonograms had today as the due date. The original date was July 6.

To add to the fun, my son-in-law had accepted a job that takes him away for six weeks, then he’s back for four. It was all supposed to work out, but COVID of course. He won’t be back in time. I am her support person.

Digging deep to put on a brave face. Packed my sanitizing supplies (yes I plan to sanitize already sanitized surfaces) masks, gloves, clothes and toiletries for 24+ hours, and I have my cold packs in the freezer and a list of food I’m bringing so I’m not traipsing around the hospital even if I were allowed.

We have kept up our family bubble visiting during the entire time to ensure I would be able to help. Didn’t expect this though.

Cannot wait to be back at her place, mother and baby safe and sound!

KennsWoods thanked Michele
  • Yayagal
    3 years ago

Same here, stay inside and safe. We don't even venture out to get essentials, it's delivered to us plus no one has entered our house since this pandemic hit. Yes, it's difficult but smart, and the only way to stay as safe as possible. We do communicate with family without their presence via facetime, messaging, and phones. We have a long way to go before we see the end of the tunnel. Be smart.

KennsWoods thanked Yayagal
  • Annegriet
    3 years ago

Watching Biden on the telly. I can't believe we have to wait nearly 7 1/2 months for a grown-up to lead us through this crisis. And if Biden loses, all hope goes with him.

• desertsteph
    3 years ago

Since when did we become so weak that we can't tough it out? And mask wearing should be mandatory -- everywhere -- period. Can you imagine during World War II if people had said, "Sorry, I don't want to use black out curtains--it violates my constitutional rights." We are pathetic.

oh, since the 60s...

the majority don't know what those were. today they're to block the sun! (and yes I have one for that purpose in my bedroom (AZ)). the majority have never lived with a test siren that goes off at a specific time on a specific day for a specific reason. As kids (outside playing) we always paused to confirmed the day and time.

yesterday I heard on the news how much food the younger generations waste. Their 'to go' food. they order it, eat some of it and toss the rest of it. I get a 'to go ' meal from a local Mexican place and it makes 4 meals for me.

• Claudesmom
    3 years ago

I'm in SE TX, home of the 60K rally and televised funeral where there was little to no social distancing or mask-wearing. I go to the grocery store once a week or so, and yes, mask up even though I can barely breathe in one. In my zip code, the # of confirmed cases (if you can believe the test results) is at .000158 of and no deaths. I'm not freaking out. No one in my very large family statewide knows anyone who has tested positive, been exposed to anyone who has tested positive or who has been quarantined due to exposure to a supposedly positive tested person.

KennsWoods thanked Claudesmom
  • Annegriet
    3 years ago

You are very lucky in SE TX but others have not had the same good fortune. Meanwhile, while Americans die in other geographic locations, our President has abandoned us. He's very busy denying the virus, politicizing masks, taking down the social distancing sign at his rallies, taking away funding for drive-through testing, trying to take healthcare away from 20 million Americans, tweeting videos of "white power", encouraging folks to drink bleach, abandoning our allies in Western Europe, defending the Confederate flag and statues, and deciding with Putin just exactly what amount of money the life of an American soldier is worth.

• KennsWoods
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Flattening the curve, everybody's going to get it anyway is fine for 90% of us, but the other 10% who are MORTALLY at risk, me included, are the ones who need NOT to get infected.

Found out today my son has an employee quarantined positive for COVID. He and dil work at a large hospital in Orange County FL and PPE is SOP, so hopefully they'll be OK. They've gone from zero COVID to multiple in the past two weeks.

Again today someone I met six months ago when I first moved here and I've seen on a regular basis since then has a son who's a firefighter. Nine of his peers are positive and quarantined and the whole station will be tested. This is Seminole County FL. I've stopped personal contact, phone or text only from now on.

Things have gone from bad to worse for me REAL (sic) FAST!

• Annegriet
    3 years ago

KennsWoods--hang tough. You are not alone. I hear you. I am thinking of you.

• desertsteph
    3 years ago

Watching Biden on the telly. I can't believe we have to wait nearly 7 1/2 months for a grown-up to lead us through this crisis. And if Biden loses, all hope goes with him.

When I see him (or hear him) I see emptiness behind those eyes. He can barely put a sentence together. Most often he can't do that. He's just a puppet for the Marxist left. There is no hope in Biden. His family should pull him out of politics and enjoy any time they have left with him.

Biden attacks Trump for stopping incoming flights from China. did Biden really think letting flights in would keep the virus out of the US? or did he do that just because it was Trump who stopped the flights? Pelosi was all for massive gatherings into China town.... that was her idea of how to contain the virus.

look up where the majority of $s donated to Biden's 'cancer charity ' went. to mega salaries for his cronies/family or to cancer research / to benefit cancer patients?

Trump's goal is to build up our country and to make it possible for others to work and not be dependent on the government. the left wants people to be dependent on it.

• desertsteph
    3 years ago

You are very lucky in SE TX but others have not had the same good fortune. Meanwhile, while Americans die in other geographic locations, our President has abandoned us. He's very busy denying the virus, politicizing masks, taking down the social distancing sign at his rallies, taking away funding for drive-through testing, trying to take healthcare away from 20 million Americans, tweeting videos of "white power", encouraging folks to drink bleach, abandoning our allies in Western Europe, defending the Confederate flag and statues, and deciding with Putin just exactly what amount of money the life of an American soldier is worth.

and you just believe all of that stuff the fake news spews out?

that is very sad.

• Claudesmom
    3 years ago

desertsteph, I TOTALLY agree with you.

KennsWoods thanked Claudesmom
  • Annegriet
    3 years ago

and you just believe all of that stuff the fake news spews out?

It's a fact that Trump petitioned the Supreme Court to invalidate the ACA

I watched the press conference where he told us all to drink bleach AND that one where he said the virus would go away like magic/poof!

He has said publicly that he wants to keep the names of Confederate Generals on our military bases.

There's nothing fake about the tweet with the white power comments. I watched it.

The Donald tweeted that face masks represent a "culture of silence, slavery, and social death."

• Michael
    3 years ago

When did KT stop vetting memberships? :)

KennsWoods thanked Michael
  • lucillle
    3 years ago

Things have gone from bad to worse for me REAL (sic) FAST!

Your decision to cease personal contact is a good choice, especially when it seems the those near your family are testing positive. Hoping you and everyone, who wants to stay alive, take the appropriate precautions until a safe usable vaccine is available.

KennsWoods thanked lucillle
  • Kathsgrdn
    3 years ago

I'm worried too. I just read a news report that Kentucky has had a mandate to wear masks since May 11th. I didn't know that. I thought the governor was just strongly suggesting it. No one in my little town wears them. Most people in the state capital don't wear them so it does no good to have a mandate that isn't enforced.

KennsWoods thanked Kathsgrdn
  • socks
    3 years ago

I join many of you, being in low spirits and discouraged even tho' I have much for which to be deeply grateful. Comfortable home, delivered groceries, nice neighborhood to walk, pup to lift my spirits. But there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I feel sorry for my family members struggling with kids, job issues. It's so sad.

KennsWoods thanked socks
  • Annegriet
    3 years ago

Well said Socks.