SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mitchellfox

Is Existing Placement of my breaker panel a code violation/unsafe

mitchell fox
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My breaker panel is located in basement laundry area, mounted on plaster (I guess ) wall, mounted directly to wall and close above laundry tub. This is how it’s been since we bought the house about 15 years ago. See picture. We are evaluating a whole house generator and have had several electricians Come out to discuss generator and connection. We had 3 give estimates and none of them said anything bad about panel or existing wiring. Now we had a fourth electricIan come out from a large reputable company to discuss generator andhesaid his company wouldn’t do the generator project unless they moved the breaker panel and did some rewiring. He says it is against code to have panel mounted directly to wall because water from outside wall could leak into box. Also that it should be mounted close to sink as it is. We have had several electricians doing unrelated things which necessitated them doing things in breaker box and none of them said anything about code and the box. None of the other 3 electricians for generator said anything about box. And nothing about it was said in our home inspection 15 years ago. Is this out of code, and as is not fixing this dangerous for us.

thanks

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations