SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caitlin_kaczowka

aloe leave thin and curled. can it be plumped again?!

Caitlin Kaczowka
3 years ago

I bought this aloe probably 7 years ago in a 4" pot and I grew it into a beast. 4 or so years ago I put it in a shallow 12" terracotta pot and it thrived. Last summer it started to look ratty and the lower leaves were getting thin. I thought it was root-bound but I was living in a small apartment and had nowhere to re-pot it so I held off over the winter. I live in a very dry part of Canada so it's had to endure dry baseboard heating over winter. I'd water it once every 2 weeks or so and weekly in summer when dry. I was finally able to re-pot it this spring, i bought a deeper pot to give it more room, but when I removed it from their shallow pot, there was literally no root system! I knew aloes had shallow roots but it was just a stump. I can't imagine they rotted, the soil was dry and nothing smelled bad.

Anyways I repotted it, but it's still looking more sad than ever :( since there's 2 main plants, I've decided to see if cutting the lower leaves off one and putting it deeper in the soil will help, and want to see what advice I get here to experiment with the other plant. TIA!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz