SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayme_niemelainen

Advice needed: supporting tomato plants in containers.

Hello there from Canada! :)
I'm an amateur veggie-gardener & I'd love some some input on supporting my growing tomato plants (I have several cherry tomato plants & several beefsteak tomato plants that are all very healthy, growing well, & just starting to flower. They've been grown in containers, 5 gallon buckets to be specific)...
All of the plants have been caged with standard tomato cages which are 3-4 feet high. However, I now understand that my beefsteak tomato plants may outgrow the cages, & as well, that I should've staked right away them when I transplanted them in to their buckets, in order to support them properly because they are big plants that will grow heavy tomatoes.
I'm now concerned that not only will the beefsteak plants outgrow the cages (& it already looks like it would be very difficult to exchange the cages now with higher ones because the plants are well established), but I'm also worried that it's too late for me to stake them (one sturdy stake up/down the middle along the main stem of each plants )because driving a stake down in to that area of the plant, where the root-ball would be, may damage the root-system & then kill my currently very happy tomato plants! Ergh. I thought that the cages would be enough support but now I am reading that they may not be, at least not for a variety of tomato plant like beefsteak (honking large tomatoes!)...
So, my questions are:
-Can one stake a tomato plant (driving a stake down in to the soil along the main stem to tether the plant to as it grows) this late in to growing without killing it? And if not, what other way can I offer the middle of the plant support?
-If the tomato plants do end up towering over top of the cages, what should I do then for them (how should I train them, or tie them, or... any ideas at all would be appreciated)?
I'll attempt to attach some photos of the plants to this post as soon as I can & in the meantime, I'd very much like to hear from anyone at all that thinks that they can offer some good advice... I'm really hoping that I haven't messed up too badly, & that I'll still end up with some lovely tomatoes this year, like I intended & have been dreaming about, lol.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. Take care & be safe, & please feel free to comment if you may have any ideas!! :)
-J

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert