SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
driftwoodtx

Need gen'l tomato help (container planting, soil, fert'r, etc)

driftwoodtx
13 years ago

This is my second year planting tomatoes in containers. Last year went pretty well, thanks to days and days of reading and a lot of good advice on this forum. Unfortunately, I took lousy notes and have forgotten so much since last year.

This year, I am on a VERY tight budget. As such, I'm trying to use what I have and to take advantage of some things that were given to me. Given that last year I experienced almost every possible tomato pest (insect), I told myself that I would start by using a systemic insecticide (I used it about 40 days into the growing process last year). I had initially tried to go organic but it just wasn't working out for me and didn't have enough time to allow for that.

Also, my neighbor has given me a bunch of Miracle Gro soil that he does not need (5 cu.ft). This is a god-send as I didn't know how I was going to afford all new soil. But, it already includes some fertilizer and now I don't know what to add to it, if anything. Will I overdo it if I add more fertilizer at planting? So many questions. To make it more confusing for this novice, it seems everyone of my acquaintances has conflicting recommendations, some even forcing their favorite (commercial) brew on me. I'm looking at all this stuff and now I'm totally lost.

Here is what I have to work with from last year, supplemented with stuff from friends:

⢠(6) 20" containers

⢠5 cu.ft. Miracle Gro Potting Mix ("Feeds plants up to 6 months! with Miracle-Gro Continuous Release plant food. Enriched with MicroMax nutrients for more blooms and more color!. Fertilizer Analysis: 0.21 - 0.07 - 0.14") and .10 Iron

⢠2 cu.ft. Compost

⢠Bayer Advanced Fruit, Citrus & Vegetable Insect Control (Imidacloprid 0.235%)

⢠EB Stone SureStart fertilizer (4-6-2)

⢠Master Nursery Tomato/Vegetable Food 5-10-10

⢠Tomato Tone 3-4-6

⢠Maxi Cal 10-0-0 (+7 Micronutrients)

⢠Fish Emulsion 4-1-1

⢠Epsom Salt

⢠Super Bloom 12-55-6

⢠Serenade

⢠Sulfur dust

⢠FungOil

⢠Mosquito Dunks (BT-I)

⢠Thuricide (BT-K)

⢠Bonide Captain Jack's DeadBug Brew

While I don't have any yet, banana peels and corn cobs were also recommended to me by friends to use in the soil at planting.

I have been given five small plants (4 hybrid, 1 heirloom). The weather is good, so I would like to get these planted this weekend. But I need some advice or a roadmap.

How should I go about this? Which ingredients are needed/best? All recommendations would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (10)