SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shantony39

Gingko tree in container? Soil needs?

shantony39
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello,

I'm helping a friend with ideas for her yard. She appreciates trees, flowers, etc, but is very new to all this.. She's in zone 6B, western North Carolina.

She just purchased a potted 4-foot "Jade Butterfly" gingko and asked me to figure out the best place for planting it. She has a swath of almost full sun that makes sense for the tree, but she's also about to build a small, permanent, raised block bed there. It'll be about a 5-foot circle and the plan is to plant it with veggies for now. The raised bed will eventually be transitioned to ornamental plants and flowers if shade becomes an issue as nearby trees grow. The bed will be about 16-20 inches tall. It'll be filled with rich garden soil for the veggies.

My question is: What do you think about planting the "Jade Butterfly" ginkgo in the center of the masonry block bed? I know it'll look odd to have an ornamental tree surrounded by tomatoes and cucumbers, but it'll be a planned transition over the years. Is garden soil too rich for a ginkgo?

Thanks.

Comments (3)